1       2       3       4      
       6              8       9       end

Archive 2008 · It's out: Canon 5D II

shirozina
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · It's out: Canon 5D II

edwardkaraa wrote:
Indeed! And well within Canon's pattern. Try new technology on amateur models, then incorporate it in the 1D series. The last model that benefits from this technology is the 5D or the other inferior FF model. I'm sure it will be applied in the 5D mark 3
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your 5D but I think you have lost sight of the fact that Canon are offering a full frame sensor that even they admit has better IQ than their current flagship model ( which by all accounts is easily the best there is and far ahead of the competition) for an extreamly low price.

Sep 17, 2008 at 01:47 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · It's out: Canon 5D II

I wouldn't count on the L bracket fitting, there is a new setup for the plugs on the side, they've made room for a microphone jack and the PC cord has been bumped up and I think would be inaccessable with the current L bracket.

Sep 17, 2008 at 01:53 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · It's out: Canon 5D II

shirozina wrote:
Canon are offering a full frame sensor that even they admit has better IQ than their current flagship model ( which by all accounts is easily the best there is and far ahead of the competition).

The Sony A900 is almost on a par with the 1Ds3. There's a recent review comparing images. But yes, the 1Ds3 was slightly better than the Sony, and this 5D2 should be the new leader.

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:04 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · It's out: Canon 5D II

What is up with Canon posting these terrible 5DII sample images! They look like something from a super high MP P&S. Jpeg yes but even the 5D interpolated up in Jpeg mode looks better than this. Maybe they got a bad sample lens!

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/eos5dm2_sample-e.html

In particular, look at the smoothing mushy grass in the landscape image. Is this what they call better noise performance!

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:13 PM
fourfa
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · It's out: Canon 5D II

they've always posted terrible samples. I recognized the blue fringing CA from the 24-105 right away. I remember the previous 5D samples included one shot from the Mark 1 16-35 with straight up blurry corners. You'd think someone would think to put a prime lens on there, at an appropriately sharp aperture...

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Someone please send Canon an alternative lens for their samples! Seriously, you would still think that at F8 @ 1/800sec and ISO 100, even the jpeg image quality and WB would be much better than this. Can that lens be that bad? It's not just the corners. It looks like poor image processing.

fourfa wrote:
they've always posted terrible samples. I recognized the blue fringing CA from the 24-105 right away. I remember the previous 5D samples included one shot from the Mark 1 16-35 with straight up blurry corners. You'd think someone would think to put a prime lens on there, at an appropriately sharp aperture...

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:34 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Tariq Gibran wrote:
In particular, look at the smoothing mushy grass in the landscape image. Is this what they call better noise performance!

Agreed, that's awful. And the mushy corners.... brrr. Reminds me why I dumped Canon.

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:54 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · It's out: Canon 5D II

These are worse than the Sony samples! Why can't they hire a real pro, like 90% of the photographers on flickr could do better than this. Not just poor image processing but massive back light flair, even a H3D-II would look bad is shot like this.

Edited on Sep 17, 2008 at 03:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2008 at 02:59 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Now if only Leaf, Sinar or Phase One would come out with a $3K MF back, I would be right there with you foto-z. My 5D never gave mushy images with a good lens to be fair.

Sep 17, 2008 at 03:00 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Yes - blame the lens and not the camera. If it were not so we wouldn't have this forum in the first place.

Sep 17, 2008 at 03:07 PM
Kevin M
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Oh my..that landscape sample from Canon jp is really underwhelming. As I recall, the landscape sample for the 5D mk1 was pretty dire also. So I guess we will have wait for someone who knows what they are doing to get their hands on the MkII also.

Sep 17, 2008 at 03:59 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Um...on the weather sealing. It's actually very good. Canon says ""The battery compartment, memory card door, LCD and the camera buttons are all fitted with sealing materials (indicated in red). In addition the adoption of high precision split-level alignment of the magnesium-alloy external covers, high precision dial construction and external rubber grip covers (indicated in green), has improved the camera's dust and water resistance.""

I have also heard it mentioned (but can't find the cite now) that it can withstand rain at a rate of 10mm in 3min. That's 7.8 inches in an hour, or roughly equivalent to shooting in a hurricane. How much better sealing do you want?

Sep 17, 2008 at 04:43 PM
RobertP
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · It's out: Canon 5D II

foto-z wrote:
Agreed, that's awful. And the mushy corners.... brrr. Reminds me why I dumped Canon.

That's not a fair thing to say Graham. The Canon samples of the original 5D were just as bad, if not worse. But in a real photographers hands, it became the greatest 35mm DSLR ever made on many levels, IMO.

ALL Canon samples are TERRIBLE.

Sep 17, 2008 at 05:20 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Concerning the Canon landscape sample, I see lots of pixels but very little detail. Maybe Canon have used a strong AA filter on the new 5D?

Sep 17, 2008 at 05:42 PM
marcwilson
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Off track here a bit but it does concern this new camera.

With the new 5d mkII coming in at 2700 USD and 2200 GBP, and that price certain to drop after a month as it always does, what price for a used 1dsmkII would people say?

If I stick with Canon I've been looking at getting a pro body (right now with an upgrade in a year) simply for the 100% viewfinder and dual card slot so this might just be the right time! (16mp is plenty for now for me)

Sep 17, 2008 at 06:25 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · It's out: Canon 5D II

RobertP wrote:
That's not a fair thing to say Graham. The Canon samples of the original 5D were just as bad, if not worse.

Actually I was referring to the lens, as this is clearly a lens issue. It was the same with the original 5D sample. I expect the 5D2 to be a very competent body. I always liked Canon bodies better than the lenses.

Sep 17, 2008 at 06:48 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · It's out: Canon 5D II

I'd would expect the 24-105 at 7.1 (probably the optimal aperture for sharpness) would do better than that in the center of the frame

foto-z wrote:
Actually I was referring to the lens, as this is clearly a lens issue. It was the same with the original 5D sample. I expect the 5D2 to be a very competent body. I always liked Canon bodies better than the lenses.

Sep 17, 2008 at 06:57 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · It's out: Canon 5D II

True alt lens purists expect to use a rototool within cm of the sensor. Where's the excitement in a 1Ds.

edwardkaraa wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, only the 1Ds series are the alt cameras of choice. My copy of the 5D didn't work with half of my Contax lenses. I had to buy a used 1Ds2 and it works flawlessly with all my lenses. The files are so much better anyway that my next upgrade will be nothing less than the 1Ds4.

Needless to mention focusing screens inaccuracies, mirrors falling off... etc.

Sep 17, 2008 at 07:34 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Damn- still no split-image focusing screen available

Sep 17, 2008 at 07:41 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · It's out: Canon 5D II

> I hope the jump to 21MP doesn't tax too much on lens performance like the 1Ds3 does. It's kinda lame when you buy a supposedly better body to get softer pictures.

I'm not sure you understand. A 21 MP sensor doesn't modify the optical qualities of your lens. It simple shows you extra sharpness that a 12 megapixel camera can't, when it's there. No lens/aperture/picture is going to get less sharp just because you upgraded to 21 mpixel. Same goes for diffraction and shutter speed limits. You'll never get a worse result than the 12 mpixel camera, you just may not see a full 9 megapixels of detail improvement in all cases.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.