fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2008 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels

  
 
photobear
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


I am looking to suspend a 42" or 48" panel over my subject to block the overhead light for outdoor portraiture (subtractive lighting). Between the scrimjim, lastolite skylite, and chimera frames, which is:

1). The lightest?
2). The fastest to setup/tear down?
3). Has the most secure system for attaching to a lightstand?

Thanks.

Bill



Feb 23, 2008 at 05:29 PM
Carmen Miranda
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


photobear wrote:
I am looking to suspend a 42" or 48" panel over my subject to block the overhead light for outdoor portraiture (subtractive lighting). Between the scrimjim, lastolite skylite, and chimera frames, which is:


I can't speak to the Chimera, they make great products but I haven't used their reflector panels. However I own both the Lastolite SkyLite and the Westcott Scrim Jim. Both are great products and both have their advantages. I can highly recommend both, but on to your specific questions:

1). The lightest?

I'd give the edge to the Scrim Jim here. Frame is thinner and fabrics are lighter. I prefer the SJ diffusers and nets, but then I prefer the white and black reflectors of the SkyLite.

2). The fastest to setup/tear down?

Edge to LL SkyLite, since the tubes are connected with a bungie cord. The SJ collapses smaller though. The fabric set ups are different but both take about the same time.

Scrim Jim corner detail
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2288/2287916418_9972cc0db5.jpg

LL SkyLite corner detail
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/2287128481_37c86a3dcb.jpg

3). Has the most secure system for attaching to a lightstand?

Both are robust fittings. The LL SkyLite has 2 types of holders. The D200LL knuckle is the strongest and most versatile of all. The SJ uses a flag post which fits in a standard D200 knuckle and has it's advantages if you are going to be repositioning or twirling it a lot.

Scrim Jim Holder
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2287916300_cef461b419.jpg

LL SkyLite D200LL Holder
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2322/2287128381_d3b04869cc.jpg

LL SkyLite Baby Stand holder
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2287916180_e87305af93.jpg

Good luck.

Edited on Feb 24, 2008 at 02:28 AM



Feb 24, 2008 at 01:50 AM
James Kessell
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


I personally have the lastolite skylite and have used it for years. I like the build and its super easy to set up and tear down. I use it mainly for beach shots and use the gold / silver most of the time. Good luck tho, I don't think that you can go wrong with any of those listed !


Feb 24, 2008 at 02:33 AM
photobear
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


Great pictures, they helped a lot!

Thanks to both of you.




Feb 24, 2008 at 09:28 AM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


Thanks for the pics, Carmen. Food for thought.


Feb 24, 2008 at 01:30 PM
CGP4
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


Just to offer another point of view, I'd recommend the Chimera panel kits. They are super fast to put together (bungee cord inside), they offer a 42" compact frame that folds to 24", and their kits come with more useful fabric choices (for me, at least; comes with a reversible black/white and a 1/2-stop diffusion). What I like best about them is that they require no proprietary mounting hardware -- the frame tubing fits into a standard grip head. My recommendation, however, is only for their 42" or 48" versions for outdoor use. The only downside of the Chimera is that they're less rigid than the Scrim Jims or Skylites; I wouldn't hesitate to use the larger 42x72" or 72x72" in the studio, but I think the competition is better outdoors. The panels attach quickly, elastic loops around the corner, which is great for the small versions but makes the larger sizes less taut than the competition (especially troubling if it's windy). In the 42" size, indoors or out, I think the Chimera can't be beat in light weight, speed and ease of use.

While you're shopping, I'd highly recommend you add California Sunbounce (www.sunbounce-usa.com) to this list of alternatives to consider. A bit harder to find, but exceptional quality and great design.

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM



Feb 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM
oobie
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


I have a scrimjim and love it


Feb 29, 2008 at 12:58 AM
photobear
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


Thanks. After doing some research, I'm leaning toward the 42" chimera because it weighs less, collapses to 24", and uses the standard grip head.


Feb 29, 2008 at 09:11 AM
Carmen Miranda
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


Photobear,

I highly recommend the black/white fabric if you go Chimera. Of all the panels I use, it gets the most use by far. The Lastolite I'm using is completely opaque.
Unfortunately B&W panels are no longer available from either Lastolite or Wescott last time I checked.

Good luck.



Feb 29, 2008 at 09:45 AM
CGP4
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · ScrimJim vs Lastolite vs Chimera Panels


For what it's worth, the current Lastolite (and Bogen) catalogs show Black & White combination fabrics available for all sizes of Skylites (however, they are not available bundled with kits); B&H's website has them for sale. Westcott, on the other hand, does not offer a B&W reversible fabric, so each color panel must be purchased separately.


Mar 07, 2008 at 12:07 PM





FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account