Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Archive 2007 · Best of 2007

Laura Hughes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best of 2007

Well, as per our FM tradition I'd like to start this thread to showcase everyone's favorite shot of 2007! Please explain a little bit about the image and why it is special to you.

As hard as it might be to choose just a single favorite it would be most helpful to keep bandwith down so dial-up/low speed internet users can enjoy this topic. It's also a challenge to try and single out one shot that represents the best of 2007.

I'll start with mine: this burrowing owl just radiated charm, the BO's are curious, mischievous and delightful, this little guy was letting me know he was "king of the burrow" and I was captivated by his personality. I also like the concrete perch, a compliment to their scrappy hard-scrabble lives.

Dec 02, 2007 at 02:27 PM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best of 2007

Most of what I do with a camera is for someone else, but this is probably my favorite photo that I took just for me this year.

BTW, that is a beautiful owl Laura

http://www.johncotephotography.com/PhotoPosts/NS-Columbine.jpg

Happy early New Year.

John C.

Dec 02, 2007 at 02:46 PM
Amateur Tom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best of 2007

Thanks for initiating this Laura. Your Burrowing Owl image is simply wonderful. I hope it is hanging as a print in your home.

I have had two moving moments in 2007 that I had the chance to capture. It was a toss up as to which one to post and family agreed this was it. This moment was so brief that I would have missed it if I had not stopped to watch the three fawns playing at the edge of the woods that early June morning. Much to my surprise they were waiting for mom..................who was bring breakfast

Can't believe we will soon say goodbye to 2007

Tom Tolla

Edited by Amateur Tom on Dec 03, 2007 at 10:47 PM GMT

Dec 02, 2007 at 04:48 PM
Kirkwood
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best of 2007

Great photos guys.

I just recently moved to Colorado from the DC area, and have spent a few days just driving around the mountains and finding places to hike. On my way to Abasin sky resort last weekend I captured this image.

http://hokies.net/temp/cropped_creek_untouched_2.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 04:52 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best of 2007

Great start. This is my favorite from my nature wildlife collection. Early October on the Susquehanna. Warm air/cold water. All I wanted was to get a bald eagle shot. There they were........backlight, mist and all I had to do was depress the shutter button.

Ted

Edited by Ted ellis on Dec 02, 2007 at 09:28 PM GMT

Edited by Ted ellis on Dec 03, 2007 at 08:26 PM GMT

Dec 02, 2007 at 05:11 PM
Ludwigia
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best of 2007

I would have to pick this one of a Piping Plover. I went to great lengths to capture this without disturbing any nesting area or invading plover territory. After much patience this little fellow came right over to me.

Dec 02, 2007 at 05:15 PM
Wulff
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best of 2007

Well this year is an easy choice for me.
Ive tried for two years to get a decent shot of Blue Jay in flight, always falling just a little short mainly due to the AF of a 30/40D. This shot came within withing te first couple hous of shootin with a MKIIn Id purchased.

http://jben.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p654569702.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 06:16 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best of 2007

I'm not a wildlife photographer by nature. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Drove in to a spot off the highway at Reelfoot Lake, NW. Tn. Saw this guy walking in off the lake onto the bank with his prize.

Shot it from my window in the SUV. MkII w/500 F4 w/1.4 TX

Dec 02, 2007 at 06:31 PM
slau
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best of 2007

This was taken in the Alligator Farm in Florida. Although I am not a religious person, this image gives me a spiritual feeling every time when I look at it.

http://www.pbase.com/stephenl/image/78190514/original.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 06:39 PM
Chris Willis
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best of 2007

Laura, thanks for starting this thread.

Picking a 2007 favorite is a great opportunity, because 2007 was my first year of photography. I got my first DSLR at the end of 2006, so I am still a novice. But I have had a lot of great opportunities to learn over the course of my first year, and have gotten a lot of great advice and inspiration from this Forum and from a lot of photography friends I have met this year. So thanks to everyone for all their help!

My favorite picture of 2007 is "Rukundo's Baby":
http://www.pbase.com/cwillis/image/73283433/original.jpg

This image is special to me for a number of reasons. I took it after an arduous 2-1/2 hour hike through the mountainous Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda. It is no exaggeration to say that I suffered to hike to see this group of gorillas, but when we arrived, all of the physical hardship was forgotten. The sun was out, the gorillas were all gathered in a relatively clear area in the forest, and there was activity going on everywhere. The group's three silverbacks chased off a rival male, filling the forest with roars and chest-beating sounds. After he was vanquished, things calmed down and we got in close with various members of the group, which is comprised of 22 mountain gorillas -- a significant portion of the entire world's population, which numbers only 800.

About halfway into our visit, we came upon Rukundo, an adult female, and her infant. She was tolerant of our presence, and we spent about 20 minutes only 6-7 feet away from them. During this time, her baby slowly started peeking out from behind the vegetation, becoming more and more curious as each minute passed and coming more out into the open as he became more comfortable with us. His facial expressions were ones of absolute wonder -- we had the impression that we were the first humans he had ever seen this close. Watching the baby's expressions as he explored his new world and tried to figure us out left every member of our group -- veteran park rangers included -- speechless with awe.

I probably took at least 100 pictures of Rukundo's baby, and I always love looking back at them to relive the experience of meeting him that morning early this year. This particular one is my favorite. Thanks for looking, and I hope I have been able to convey why this picture is my favorite of the year.

Chris
www.pbase.com/cwillis

Dec 02, 2007 at 07:13 PM
J. Sims
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best of 2007

Yes Laura... Thanks for the thread.

For me it has been such a good year when it comes to photography and for that reason I cannot pick the best of the best. Too hard! But when it comes down to the experience of the capture, like Chris, I too have a favorite experience. This Kit Fox and it's family were so cooperative I came away with dozens of keepers and a memory that is like no other. So here is just one of my favorites from that evening.

Jason

Dec 02, 2007 at 07:26 PM
suemcc
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best of 2007

Some may be surprised by this choice since I love photographing mammals, but this picture represents what is for me an increasingly artistic and less representational way of approaching nature through photography. Dowitchers in flight, Palo Alto Baylands, May 2007. I am continually amazed by all the great shots posted on this site, and the "Best of..." thread is a highlight of the year. Wow!
Best wishes to all, Susan

http://www.stanford.edu/~suemcc/baylands/dowitchers7442.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 07:45 PM
kazman442
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best of 2007

Wow amazing shots all of you, Picking one shot it would be this cedar waxwing. Ron

http://i.pbase.com/o3/86/591686/1/88244075.7Km2pp9b.RCC_0319.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Mr Zoom
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best of 2007

Singling out just one is more than a challenge when you are a prolific amature photographer like I am However, this shot of a Western Tanager taken in a Silky Oak tree will have to be my submission for this year.

http://Ken.smugmug.com/photos/171888915-L.jpg

Side note: This photo has been so popular on SmugMug that it has been stolen twice and won two Picture of the Day contests without my knowing about it until much later. I'm so flattered I encourage you all to please steal my pictures

Ken

Dec 02, 2007 at 08:41 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best of 2007

Thanks Laura for the thread.This is my favorite image as I'll never forget this hawk whom landed on my truck's mirror while I was close by. After retrieving my 400D and 400 f5.6 from inside of the truck, I shot this and others, on my windshield, in trees, etc. No crop at about 15 feet away.

Dec 02, 2007 at 09:13 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best of 2007

While not technically a great photo, waiting over 3 hours hoping for something special then capturing this magic moment was for me the highlight of 2007 and any other year for that matter.
I love this thread and the opportunity to see such incredible images from all of you talented people.
Eric

Dec 02, 2007 at 09:33 PM
island man
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best of 2007

Turns out I did not get many wildlife shots this year. Mostly landscapes and work photos. This one is not too shabby.

Photo taken on the outercoast of Glacier Bay National Park. Handheld from 23' skiff in lumpy seas. Tough to get sharp. The rookery is on Graves Rocks. Very cool, very wild place.

Here is a link to audio from the site - for some ambiance. http://www.seawead.org/sealionsounds.mp3

http://www.seawead.org/sealions.jpg

b

Dec 02, 2007 at 09:34 PM
Bonzohusky
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best of 2007

Wow there are already some incredible images here. I don't know how good this shot is but it was special because the Trumpeter Swan population in Yellowstone National Park has decreased sharply the last two years due to predation by various carnivores. I wasn't expecting to see any this year, but caught this guy several times on Floating Island Lake during the summer. It was an unexpected treat.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/520905682_b0c1aeab92_o.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 09:43 PM
Ruffo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best of 2007

I just love these year end posts, so many great photos gathered together in one place and reading through them I can almost feel what it was like to be there.

Many of my shots throughout the year are pretty mundane, just animals doing and acting like they normally do and me trying to record it the best I can. Every once in awhile, animals seem to act a bit human-like and it is a touching reminder that we are not seperate from nature but part of it.

These goats were browsing across the mountain when they spotted a larger group of goats down the mountain. The nanny took off running toward them with the kid in tow. When they came to the very edge of this cliff, for a second they hesitated as if the kid was reluctant to go over the edge. He nuzzled mom and she comforted him as if to say "It's ok Jr.....it will be easy.....because we are GOATS!"
A second later both jumped over the edge and by the time I reached the edge where they were standing, they had joined the other goats that were at least 500' below.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//501/39978Nuzzling.jpg

Dec 02, 2007 at 09:46 PM
Brian Hansen
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best of 2007

This is always my favorite thread on FM. Thanks for starting it Laura. I already have goosebumps just looking through the shots and stories posted so far. I can't wait for the rest. It really shows the talent that visits this forum.

2007 marked my first year seriously shooting wildlife. I had always shot different things and didn't really know what I really wanted to shoot until I shot a Golden-crowned Kinglet and posted it for ID on a local birding network. The outpouring of comments got me going and I have since found the birding network to be an invaluable resource when it comes to finding rare birds and other wildlife. It has also made me realize the diversity of life Wisconsin has to offer. I now jump in my truck and drive 3 hours to an previously unknown spot without hesitation just to get a few shots of something I didn't even know visited this state a year and half ago. From Bald Eagles on the Mississippi to the thousands of Raptors that migrate along the Lake Michigan shore in the fall to the Snowy Owls that come down from Canada in the winter to the spring Warblers that are basically in my backyard, there is rarely time there isn't something to shoot around here. I have found it exhilarating enough just to be out in the natural world but to come back with some good shots is huge bonus.

Like others I have more than one favorite but this one came to mind first. Through the previously mentioned birding network I found out about a family of Ospreys that were being raised about 30 miles from my house. I checked them out about every couple of weeks and watched them go from being chicks in the nest to fledging to getting hunting lessons from the parents. This is one of three fledglings about a week after it learned to fly. It took about 3 trips on 3 consecutive days to get this shot but I loved every minute I spent watching them. It was also one of my first outings with my 1D Mark III.
http://www.pbase.com/bhansen/image/82764951/original.jpg

Here's to some fantastic memories of 2007 and a great 2008!

Brian Hansen

Dec 02, 2007 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.