I think that picture would take a lot longer than 20 seconds in PS, take a closer look, the top is a mixture of the 20D and 1 series, i.e no pop up flash, there are a whole lot of other changes as well, good job whoever did it.
astrolucida wrote:
Since releasing the 10D in February 2003, Canon has released a new DSLR on the average every 146 days. Adding that to the release date of 350D/XT in February, it would happen in July. However, that is no time for announcing new cameras, so my bet is that it will happen in late August/September.
If the info from here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=13781550
is to be believed, it will be announced 3rd week in August.
astrolucida wrote:
In addition to the usual camera features, it will have something very new. Unfortunately I cannot tell for sure what this might be, but in any case this will be the camera that tests this feature, which is to be later included in the combined 1D series camera (1DsMk II + 1D Mk II).
Given the comments that people have been making for some time now about a Canon prototype with their new sensor technology in (credible sources were saying they had seen this camera in 2004) I would be amazed if the new camera isn't the much awaited "customer test" camera for the new sensor in much the same way as the EOS 3 was for its AF system.
I gotta believe Nikon will be announcing a D200 this fall, so Canon should do something to respond.
A new camera development and production cycle takes 2-3 years. Whatever Canon may release this fall has already been in the works for the last 2 to 3 years. They don't "respond" to each other blow-by-blow...they are each working to field the best possible technology within each price point, each with the hope of having made the best choices of the features that consumers will want.
mourningshadow wrote:
I think that picture would take a lot longer than 20 seconds in PS, take a closer look, the top is a mixture of the 20D and 1 series, i.e no pop up flash, there are a whole lot of other changes as well, good job whoever did it.
The top looks like a stealth fighter aircraft. Cool
The information I have suggests a 12.8MP 5D, but isn't willing to give out any other specs at this time. This same source revealed the 350D 3 months before it's release.
Edited by Tim Wild on Jun 10, 2005 at 02:04 PM GMT
Natron wrote:
More important would be to ask why. Is there something severely lacking in the 20D that would cause one to wait 5 months without one to see if they might bring out something slightly improved?
Amen...
I ask this question every time I see one of these threads...
I believe there will be a new camera out soon according to past trends. Nikon merely released an upgraded D70 as their recent release. Canon might do the same. I suspect the XT was a bit of one-upmanship by Canon. Actually, I can't really see any need for 8 megapixels over 6.
astrolucida wrote:
Since releasing the 10D in February 2003, Canon has released a new DSLR on the average every 146 days. Adding that to the release date of 350D/XT in February, it would happen in July. However, that is no time for announcing new cameras, so my bet is that it will happen in late August/September.
There have been 2-3 sources which have rumoured about a camera that will be in-between 20D and 1D MkII, possibly called 5D. My guess is that it is 10-12 Mpixel, 1.3 crop, with a slightly larger and heavier than 10D body, good autofocus like the 1D Mk II, but not the 45 point one. Maybe 15-25 points. With some technological advances and 10D sized pixels, high ISO noise will hit a new (low) record. It has more custom settings than 20D but fewer than 1D Mk II.
It will become the entry level professional and high level enthusiast camera. As it fills a new market niche, there will be a lot of demand for it, and only in January it will be possible to get one off the shelf. The recommended price will be around $3000-3200, with street prices pushing downto $2500 (Dell + coupons + luck
In addition to the usual camera features, it will have something very new. Unfortunately I cannot tell for sure what this might be, but in any case this will be the camera that tests this feature, which is to be later included in the combined 1D series camera (1DsMk II + 1D Mk II). One possible guess is high resolution vs high speed selection, but unlike the Nikon counterpart, this one will retain the full 1.3 crop factor (instead it will reduce the pixel density through so-called binning, which will also have the advantage of reducing the noise quite a lot, making clean ISO 6400 possible in this mode, in addition to 8 fps).
The combined 1D will be announced in August/September 2006 (the average time from 1D to 1DII and 1Ds to 1DsII summed to the average announcing date of 1DII and 1DsII). My guess for the name is 1Di. It will have 21 Mpixels, having same size of pixels as 20D. Using the binning mode, it can do 12 fps and relatively clean ISO 12800, making it the dream camera of all sports photographers. The recommended price will be $8000, with street prices initially around $7000.
At that time Nikon will start having really serious troubles... ...Show more →
At what point does the big frickin laser come in ?
21 megapixels? That'll take some serious CF cards!
Ok. So how big will a 21 megapixel image be? Let's do the maths:
21 million / (3 x 2) = 3.5 million. The square root of 3.5 million is 1870.83.
1870.83 x 2 = 3740
1870.83 x 3 = 5612
Check back yields (20.9888 megapixels).
So... How big will this be printable?
3740 / 150 (dpi) = 25 inches
5612 / 150 (dpi) = 37 inches
My goodness... That's a big beastie of a print! But... how big is a 6 megapixel print at 150 dpi? I don't thing 21 megapixels is all that much better than 6 megapixels which works out at exactly 20 x 30 inches.
Edited by Rhys on Jun 10, 2005 at 10:43 AM GMT (Reason: I was drunk when I wrote the last sentence)
I ask this question every time I see one of these threads...
Arka C.
Well, I have the 300D and want to upgrade. I am tempted by the 1D MkII, but can easily wait a few months longer. So I quite enjoy these threads. I think I am not alone...
Rhys wrote:
21 megapixels? That'll take some serious CF cards!
Ok. So how big will a 21 megapixel image be? Let's do the maths:
21 million / (3 x 2) = 3.5 million. The square root of 3.5 million is 1870.83.
1870.83 x 2 = 3740
1870.83 x 3 = 5612
Check back yields (20.9888 megapixels).
So... How big will this be printable?
3740 / 150 (dpi) = 25 inches
5612 / 150 (dpi) = 37 inches
My goodness... That's a big beastie of a print! But... how big is a 6 megapixel print at 150 dpi? I don't thing 21 megapixels is all that much better than 6 megapixels which works out at exactly 20 x 30 inches.
Edited by Rhys on Jun 10, 2005 at 10:43 AM GMT (Reason: I was drunk when I wrote the last sentence)...Show more →
Got your sums wrong for 6M pixels
2000 / 150 = 13.3
3000 / 150 = 20
man...all i want is a body that is RELIABLE...something solid that doesn't crash. the 20d is all the camera i need, and works great for casual photography, but lashed to a Bg-E and a bracket with a flash and lightsphere it becomes a wobbly mess, with power drops starting as soon as the batteries drop below 50%. i'm *this* close to moving to a 1dMkii just so i can shoot without fear (backup bodies are for catastrophic failure, not 3-second power drops).
if canon came out with ANY tweener, all they'd have to do is give it a reliable power system and a reliable software package and i'd be first in line. sure - higher ISO and better focussing would be grand...but all i want is to be able to shoot for four hours without rebooting my camera three times...
Lars Johnsson summed all of this up here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/235839#1942927 "Every thread is always the same. People want the 1 series camera and like to pay a couple of hundred dollars more than the 20D price. And then they call it the 3D."
Rhys wrote:
I believe there will be a new camera out soon according to past trends. Nikon merely released an upgraded D70 as their recent release. Canon might do the same. I suspect the XT was a bit of one-upmanship by Canon. Actually, I can't really see any need for 8 megapixels over 6.
I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to reply to this thread --but It's Sat morning on a grey day so I'm post processing work rather than out shooting.
8MP IS a worthwhile improvement over 6 --If YOU NEED IT. --Some people are happy with 1.5 MP thumbnail images produced by mobile phones.
12 MP is yet another improvement --while much more than 16 MP shows up lens limitations with current 35 MM Lens design so it might be metter to look at Medium Format for cameras with larger than 16 MP..
A larger file gives you many more possibilities --including cropping to fit the most popular print sizes -- a 6MP camera will start showing it's limitations at around A4 size unless your shot is absolutely 100% spot on and you have the print processed professionally on a lightjet or similar with sophisticated hardware RIP software for ressing up your file.
For Newspaper work yes 6 MP is fine but for fine artwork you'd be laughed off the face of the planet with the file sizes produced by a 6MP camera.
As always it's what YOU shoot that counts --and if 6MP is enough so be it --but to say you can't see the need for 8 MP over 6 --well it's not huge in mathematical terms but it DOES make a difference.
Roy NN7DX wrote:
Lars Johnsson summed all of this up here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/235839#1942927 "Every thread is always the same. People want the 1 series camera and like to pay a couple of hundred dollars more than the 20D price. And then they call it the 3D."