I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 20ds or something similar. Maybe it'll be the 20D but upgraded a bit so that it performs better than the XT? Maybe an upgraded focussing unit as the XT has the more modern focussing unit.
Rhys wrote:
I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 20ds or something similar. Maybe it'll be the 20D but upgraded a bit so that it performs better than the XT? Maybe an upgraded focussing unit as the XT has the more modern focussing unit.
The 20D focuses better than the XT, from what I have seen.
I would not expect an update of the 20D in just 12 months. Frankly, nothing is "due" an update this fall, but there is a Canon (Spain)-inspired rumor of a completely new model of DSLR that might be announced in October.
Don't they need a pro-level body somewhere between a 20D and the 1 series with, perhaps some ergonomic improvements and a spot meter, advanced AF, etc. 10 or even 12 MPx would be good.
I gotta believe Nikon will be announcing a D200 this fall, so Canon should do something to respond.
PS: I get delivery on my first Canon in years, a 20D with the 17 - 85m IS lens tomorrow, to go along with my D2X. I do hope its all that its reputed to be!
The 20Da is some kind of astrophotography-specific device.
The 20D *is* the near-pro body between the consumer stuff and the 1 series. What's there to update besides another step in the megapixel race? OK, a bigger raw buffer would be good. When they make ISO 3200 look like 200, I'm in.
More important would be to ask why. Is there something severely lacking in the 20D that would cause one to wait 5 months without one to see if they might bring out something slightly improved?
jmaio wrote:
Don't they need a pro-level body somewhere between a 20D and the 1 series with, perhaps some ergonomic improvements and a spot meter, advanced AF, etc. 10 or even 12 MPx would be good.
I gotta believe Nikon will be announcing a D200 this fall, so Canon should do something to respond.
PS: I get delivery on my first Canon in years, a 20D with the 17 - 85m IS lens tomorrow, to go along with my D2X. I do hope its all that its reputed to be!
hi john,
the 20d is the camera that nikon's rumored d200 would be "competing" ....at this point in time , the 20d is the benchmark for the mid priced dslr market...............
given the fact that the 20d was released last september, and we have not seen any new technologies in the subsequent releases, like digic3, or ettl-3d, i'm not sure what benefit a 20d update would net....
regards
Full size sensor still has sky high price. I wonder Canon or Nikon will drop the price below 3500 as Kodak did. But for the body quality Canon still need to improve. For example the sensor dust revome. The structure of 350D makes it easier to catch dust than older version 300D. Why? because of cheap cost. I would expect a model with aorund 12M but with good structure concidering the dust issue like Olympus did (a company with experience of making endoscopy). Then maybe more unfortunate guys will eager to buy more lens, which Canon will be happer. 1.3x-1.5x small size sensor should be ok for 12M.
Since releasing the 10D in February 2003, Canon has released a new DSLR on the average every 146 days. Adding that to the release date of 350D/XT in February, it would happen in July. However, that is no time for announcing new cameras, so my bet is that it will happen in late August/September.
There have been 2-3 sources which have rumoured about a camera that will be in-between 20D and 1D MkII, possibly called 5D. My guess is that it is 10-12 Mpixel, 1.3 crop, with a slightly larger and heavier than 10D body, good autofocus like the 1D Mk II, but not the 45 point one. Maybe 15-25 points. With some technological advances and 10D sized pixels, high ISO noise will hit a new (low) record. It has more custom settings than 20D but fewer than 1D Mk II.
It will become the entry level professional and high level enthusiast camera. As it fills a new market niche, there will be a lot of demand for it, and only in January it will be possible to get one off the shelf. The recommended price will be around $3000-3200, with street prices pushing downto $2500 (Dell + coupons + luck
In addition to the usual camera features, it will have something very new. Unfortunately I cannot tell for sure what this might be, but in any case this will be the camera that tests this feature, which is to be later included in the combined 1D series camera (1DsMk II + 1D Mk II). One possible guess is high resolution vs high speed selection, but unlike the Nikon counterpart, this one will retain the full 1.3 crop factor (instead it will reduce the pixel density through so-called binning, which will also have the advantage of reducing the noise quite a lot, making clean ISO 6400 possible in this mode, in addition to 8 fps).
The combined 1D will be announced in August/September 2006 (the average time from 1D to 1DII and 1Ds to 1DsII summed to the average announcing date of 1DII and 1DsII). My guess for the name is 1Di. It will have 21 Mpixels, having same size of pixels as 20D. Using the binning mode, it can do 12 fps and relatively clean ISO 12800, making it the dream camera of all sports photographers. The recommended price will be $8000, with street prices initially around $7000.
At that time Nikon will start having really serious troubles...
I asked girlfriend who can read and speak JP to transplate what JP site saied. Well there is some problem if you try to use it in the daytime unless you add a filter. Canon remove the filter so called "hot filter". Then allow certain wave length hit the sensor. I forgot the exact number. So when you try to shoot daytime objects you have to add a cut-off filter to remove these wavelengths.
It is not a new idea. Quite a few websites you can find who open the camera bodies like 300D, 350D, D20 to remove that filter just before the sensor. And even offer the replacement. So I would suggest a 300D body (used one) and remove that filter by yourself. The same effect.
For new bodies I would not suggest to do so. Once you open your camera, dusts will never go away unless you worked it out in a filtered hood.
In addition to the usual camera features, it will have something very new. Unfortunately I cannot tell for sure what this might be, but in any case this will be the camera that tests this feature, which is to be later included in the combined 1D series camera
I've heard that the new body will have some sort of new mirror system that will allow for a live preview on the LCD [*shudder*], which would probably be a tilt/swivel one like the G-Series has [*shudder and cringe*].
I can only hope that this is incorrect. There is really no reason it can't be done, and perhaps it would end up being a good thing, but it just rubs me wrong.