fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource
  

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

  

old champagne still life

  
 
graytrekker
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · old champagne still life


I started out my SLR career in 1977 with a used Nikkormat FTN that came with a 50mm f2 non-AI. I added a 24mm f2.8 and a lightweight Slik tripod. At some point around 1980 I added a cheap 35 mm f2.8 K model, later a 105mm f2.5, and that was my backpacking "kit" for several years as I backpacked and photographed around Colorado. in the late 70s/early 80s.

This image is from 1979. It is from Dream Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP). Dream Lake with the angular Hallett's Peak behind is one of those iconic images of RMNP. My friend and I snowshoed up their in early April with all the paraphernalia to shoot this and some other topics.

I don't know what it's like now (haven't been there since 1981), it this was a reasonably easy hike back then, even in snowshoes. It was rare to see anyone there during the winter/spring months. That's why the Park Service was rather ambivalent about where you could camp. Based on what I have seen on Instagram, I don't think that is the case anymore.

Without EXIF data, one is left to one's imperfect memory about these images. I think it was Kodachrome 64, 50mm at f5.6 (probably). Back then I was more concerned with getting the subject in focus, rather than the separation with blurring the background.

For those that may not know much about California champagne, Kornell had a very dramatic life. He was a German immigrant who came to the US after spending time in a German concentration camp. He built up his champagne business in almost storybook fashion, but ultimately went out of business in the early 1990s as a result of some unfortunate business decisions. He passed away in 1994. His daughter, Paula, still carries on the family tradition with her own winery. His life is worthy of a film.

Dream Lake Champagne by Doug Stevens, on Flickr

I had originally posted this on the Nikon Manual Lens forum a few years ago

Edited on Oct 04, 2026 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions



Oct 04, 2026 at 04:58 PM
douter
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · old champagne still life


Definitely would work as an Ad page, Doug!
Douglas



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:34 PM
graytrekker
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · old champagne still life


douter wrote:
Definitely would work as an Ad page, Doug!
Douglas


Well, after posting on the Nikon site I did send a copy to his daughter, Paula, as an "homage", but I never heard back



Oct 04, 2026 at 06:00 PM







FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account