fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 ...

  
 
seanderson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 f4 for faster autofocus?


I currently have the Sigma 24-70 DG DN Art f2.8 mark I for Sony and while I love it, it’s too slow of autofocus for in-water surf photography. I think I’d like to sell it and get the mark II since it has the new autofocus drive. However, given resale values, etc., I’m wondering whether the Sony 24-105 f4 would make just as much sense? The extra range would be nice though I’d rather not accumulate lenses.

Interested to hear any thoughts from sports photogs.

Edited on Sep 30, 2026 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions



Sep 30, 2026 at 08:14 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 f4 for faster autofocus?


Get. The. Sony. 24-70/2.8 GMII. Buy once, cry once. It’s incredibly good.


Sep 30, 2026 at 08:25 PM
raminolta
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 f4 for faster autofocus?


I moved from Sigma 24-70 DG DN Art f2.8 to Sony 24-70mm GM ii. Without doing any side by side comparison, I can't say this was the better move than going to Sigma mark ii. In fact, my sigma appeared quite sharp too me. I had sold it before getting the GM ii lens so a side by side comparison was out of question. I can't say much per auto focus speed as my camera was A7r iii when I had my Sigma and now, I have A7r v. I can also say that the weight difference is very noticeable based on my muscle memory.
I wasn't particularity fixated on the GM lens but I got a very good deal on a used one in the local market. I could have very well ended up with the Sigma mark II if I had found a good deal on that one.


Edited on Oct 01, 2026 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions



Oct 01, 2026 at 05:38 PM
Fboss
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 f4 for faster autofocus?


I owned and sold the first version of the Sigma 24-70. The AF was indeed not very fast. I tried 3x copies of the Sony 24-70 GM II at different times and eventually gave up. Each had a softness issue on the right side from 50mm, and one of them was also not great at 70mm f/2.8. If you decide to buy one, make sure you can test properly and have the option to return it.
I then got the Sigma 24-70 II. AF is significantly improved compared to the Mark I, but I haven't used it for sport photography. Sharpness is great wide open at f/2.8 at all focal lengths.



Oct 01, 2026 at 07:44 PM
aCuria
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Should I upgrade from Sigma 24-70 I to the Mark II or just get a 24-105 f4 for faster autofocus?


Sony 24-70mm GM ii > Sony 24-50G > Sigma 24-70 ART II > Tamron 28-75G2

For the money get the Sony 24-50G



Oct 01, 2026 at 09:04 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account