p.1 #1 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Hi all, I'm looking for new gear recommendations currently I use a Nikon D750 but i wanna upgrade
Cameras considering:
* a sony a7R V, because of the bigger sensor and focus bracketing . I assume the bigger sensor with get sharper images? and capture more details, even when I down sample the image it will look better then with a smaller sensor? maybe this is not true?
* another option is the Nikon Z8
Notes: my main priorities are to improve image colour, sharper image, and less noise from shot (so I don't need much noise reduction in post) and automate the focus stacking.
p.1 #2 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Bigger sensors don't necessarily correlate with sharper images. Sharp images result from quality lenses, low ISO, appropriate shutter speeds and aperture selections, and good shooting technique.
The D750 has a pretty good sensor. If you are having excessive noise with that sensor, the problem isn't the sensor.
You're going to get a lot of replies so let's narrow things down a bit -
Are you shooting Jpegs or raw?
What do you photograph - family/events, sports/wildlife, city/landscape, or macro?
Do you print your images? If so how large are you looking to print?
Do you post process your images?
p.1 #3 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
As a former user of a D750 it is a full frame camera body. If you stay with Nikon your logical path would be a D780 or D850 both excellent Nikon DSLR's.
p.1 #4 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
glassartist wrote:
Bigger sensors don't necessarily correlate with sharper images. Sharp images result from quality lenses, low ISO, appropriate shutter speeds and aperture selections, and good shooting technique.
The D750 has a pretty good sensor. If you are having excessive noise with that sensor, the problem isn't the sensor.
You're going to get a lot of replies so let's narrow things down a bit -
Are you shooting Jpegs or raw?
What do you photograph - family/events, sports/wildlife, city/landscape, or macro?
Do you print your images? If so how large are you looking to print?
Do you post process your images?
Thanks — that helps clarify what I'm trying to figure out.
I shoot RAW and mostly photograph cityscapes and some macro I do quite a bit of post-processing in Lightroom/Photoshop, including noise reduction and focus stacking. I print occasionally, but I'm not primarily shooting for huge prints.
I agree that the D750 has a very good sensor, and I'm not expecting a new camera to magically make an incorrectly focused or motion-blurred image sharper. What I'm trying to understand is how much of an actual image-quality improvement I can get from a modern high-resolution sensor when everything else is equal.
For example, if I take the same shot with the D750 and an A7R V, using the same equivalent aperture/shutter speed and a good lens, would the A7R V's 61 MP sensor give me meaningfully more recoverable fine detail? And if I downsample the 61 MP image to 24 MP or 45 MP, does that provide a practical noise/detail advantage, or is that mostly theoretical?
The same question applies to the Z8's 45.7 MP sensor.
I'm also interested in the newer cameras because of their features, particularly automated focus bracketing. With my type of photography, being able to automatically capture a sequence of focus distances and then stack them is a significant advantage.
So I'm basically trying to determine whether upgrading from the D750 to something like the A7R V or Z8 would give me a real-world improvement in detail, noise, colour and focus-stacking workflow, rather than just higher numbers on the spec sheet.
I'm also curious whether, for my use case, the difference between 45.7 MP and 61 MP is actually noticeable, or whether the lens and shooting technique will make a much bigger difference.
p.1 #5 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
traingoof wrote:
As a former user of a D750 it is a full frame camera body. If you stay with Nikon your logical path would be a D780 or D850 both excellent Nikon DSLR's.
Yes, I agree the D780/D850 would be the logical Nikon DSLR upgrades
p.1 #6 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice. After considering everything you guys pointed out, I’ve finally made my decision I’m going to upgrade from my Nikon D750 to the Sony a7R V.
I really appreciate everyone who took the time to share their experience and opinions. You’ve definitely helped me make up my mind
p.1 #7 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
If you would like to keep using your existing Nikon lenses it would make sense to stick with Nikon - the Z mirrorless Nikons have a different mount but Nikon make a simple adaptor to use the F-mount lenses on it.
A Z5II is the modern equivalent of your D750, similar sensor but much better autofocus and stabilisation etc with technology advances.
Or as you say you could spend more on a Z8, bigger and heavier but double the megapixels if you want to print huge billboards or crop way into photos. If you don't do that then 24mp is plenty for most people.
I haven't tried focus stacking to give an opinion on that.
I'm not really familiar with the Sony options, but all the major manufacturers make excellent cameras and it mostly comes down to personal preference, what suits you best personally for ergonomics and feel etc. From that angle if you like your D750 you will probably find it more a natural progression to stay with Nikon than moving to a different brand.
p.1 #8 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Barbara Linkous wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for new gear recommendations currently I use a Nikon D750 but i wanna upgrade
Cameras considering:
* a sony a7R V, because of the bigger sensor and focus bracketing . I assume the bigger sensor with get sharper images? and capture more details, even when I down sample the image it will look better then with a smaller sensor? maybe this is not true?
* another option is the Nikon Z8
Notes: my main priorities are to improve image colour, sharper image, and less noise from shot (so I don't need much noise reduction in post) and automate the focus stacking....Show more →
The a7rV has the same size sensor as the D750. Obviously it is much newer and has more pixels. The Sony 60MP sensor is one of the best ever purely for image quality. However, it is a very slow read sensor (nearly 100ms) so you will want to use the mechanical shutter for anything that moves, even relatively moderately.
p.1 #9 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
You're gonna have more detail and can crop more because you have more mpx. The noise, colour... Are gonna be more or less the same.
I guess all modern cameras do focus braketing, but canon do everything on camera. You take the pics hand held and you have the final pic on the camera instantly. If I'm right, on Nikon and Sony you have to process the pics later on computer for the final image. I'm not sure if all bodies, just if you want to check.
p.1 #12 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Same sensor size, different resolutions. I was going to suggest just getting a Z8 since it's just a better camera in hand...depending on what you want and you can migrate over at a smoother pace while using your existing glass since Nikon F mount doesn't adapt well. Barbara Linkous wrote:
I was actually thinking the A7R V had a bigger sensor than the D750, so that's one thing I got wrong
p.1 #13 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Perhaps one should try the ergonomics and menus before committing to Sony? Rent, or, at least try handling a new/unfamiliar system, at a large, pre-oriented camera store.
My Nikon D6 and D850 DSLRs are keepers. I am slowly adding the Z system. Slowly. No rush.
p.1 #14 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
If you want more resolution for prints, my recommendation is the Z8. 45mp is a nice bump in resolution from 24mp but 45mp to 61mp is not much of a difference. I have a Nikon ZF 24mp, Nikon Z8 45mp, Sony a7rIV 61mp. While Sony makes great cameras too, I personally prefer how Nikon cameras perform in the field and prefer the files Nikon cameras generate.
If you want a physically larger sensor, then you need to look into medium format, such as a Fuji GFX 100S II.
p.1 #15 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
If you already have a collection of Nikon lenses, a Nikon Z8 with an FTZ adapter would make more sense. You can keep using those lenses until you have more funds to buy Z-mount lenses. Mirrorless lenses are generally better and sharper than their F-mount counterparts.
The Z8 has 45 megapixels vs. 24 megapixels of your D750. The more pixels are crammed onto a sensor, the noisier the images are going to look when viewed at 100%. If you want clean high ISO images, you'd have to look at the lower megapixel full frame cameras like the Zf, Z6III or Z5II. The difference between them and the D750 at high ISO would not be dramatic.
That being said, IMO the Z8 high ISO images retain better color from my observations. I went from shooting a D750 and D500, to shooting with the Z8. The Z8 is a huge improvement on these DSLRs in so many different ways, it would be a long list to write. Simply put, it makes taking the picture you want to take, easier. It gets out of your way.
The larger files give you lots of cropping options if needed and the high ISO noise is easy to clean up.
p.1 #16 · Upgrade suggestion from Nikon D750 to Sony a7RV
Barbara Linkous wrote:
I assume the bigger sensor with get sharper images? and capture more details, even when I down sample the image it will look better then with a smaller sensor? maybe this is not true?
The bigger sensor plays a minor role in capturing sharper images. But these newer cameras can help capture sharper images because the AF of mirrorless cameras is more accurate, and they have IBIS. And as well, mirrorless lenses are typically better than the older lenses of the DSLR era. Of course, there were plenty very sharp images of that era too, but in general the mirrorless ones are sharper.