p.3 #1 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
vijaykr.p wrote:
1) Compressed RAW
This is a big one for me. Nikon’s High Efficiency RAW files are around 12 MB, which is quite close to the size of a JPEG at around 10 MB. In comparison, RAW files from other brands with similar Megapixels are much larger. For someone who takes a lot of family photos, the smaller file size makes a noticeable difference in storage.
This is actually a fantastic point that I'm glad someone brought up HE* was one of the little things I noticed immediately when I switched over and now recommend to all Nikon shooters.
12mb raw files on the 24mp cameras, 33mb raw files on the 45mp cameras with absolutely zero detectable downside for 99.9% of shots. There is nothing else like it on the market.
p.3 #2 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
As a longtime Nikon shooter who took a detour to Sony the last three years, it is the Z8 that won me back over. And it ruined me for Sony, I was doomed as soon as I got the Z8 in hand and started shooting it. The ergonomics are perfect for me (no pinky dangling off the bottom, no grip knuckles shoved up against lens barrel), the feel in hand is superb, the output is gorgeous, the versatility is excellent. Shooting a speedy stacked sensor with no mechanical shutter is addictive. For my history and preferences, it looks and feels like my beloved D850, only better, and that vibe resonates with me. I love the size and weight and I take the Z8 everywhere, travel walk arounds with this cam fitting my hand so nicely are a joy for me with the 28/2.8 or 40/2 SE’s.
For landscape work I have it mated to the amazing Z 24-120 which is still unrivaled by any manufacturer, combined with a superb copy of the Z 100-400 for a simple and highly productive kit that suits how I see and compose. I shot the new A7RVI and that sensor is nice, but for me Z8 ergonomics won out. My walls have many prints hanging that I made from 45mp Nikons including the Z8 sensor (in the Z9) and they look gorgeous, no apologies needed, nothing lacking.
There are also intangibles to all this - for me it just feels good and right to have a Nikon back in my hands. I listened to my heart and intuition this time. Here are a few favorite shots from this year so far.
Spring blossoms in the Blue Ridge mountains
Sunset above stacked ridges in North Carolina
Travel walkaround on a beautiful winter evening in Florida
My beloved brain cancer patient niece, Abigail
560mm on 100-400 w/1.4x and very deeply cropped, holds up well
p.3 #3 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Lance B wrote:
I'd look at all other brands and then still buy Nikon. I like Nikon ergonomics, their lens line up and the output. Other brands may offer a few better things here and there from time to time, but these things go in cycles. At the moment, my Z8/Z9 does everything I need those cameras to do and the lenses I have are as good as you'll get in their respective focal lengths. I am very satisfied where I am.
+1. No complaints from me. I also trust Nikon to remain the most innovative lens maker on the market.
p.3 #4 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Ross Martin wrote:
As a longtime Nikon shooter who took a detour to Sony the last three years, it is the Z8 that won me back over. And it ruined me for Sony, I was doomed as soon as I got the Z8 in hand and started shooting it. The ergonomics are perfect for me (no pinky dangling off the bottom, no grip knuckles shoved up against lens barrel), the feel in hand is superb, the output is gorgeous, the versatility is excellent. Shooting a speedy stacked sensor with no mechanical shutter is addictive. For my history and preferences, it looks and feels like my beloved D850, only better, and that vibe resonates with me. I love the size and weight and I take the Z8 everywhere, travel walk arounds with the 28/2.8 or 40/2 SE’s is a joy for me.
For landscape work I have it mated to the amazing Z 24-120 which is still unrivaled by any manufacturer, combined with a superb copy of the Z 100-400 for a simple and highly productive kit that suits how I see and compose. I shot the new A7RVI and that sensor is nice, but for me Z8 ergonomics won out. My walls have many prints hanging that I made from 45mp Nikons including the Z8 sensor (in the Z9) and they look gorgeous, no apologies needed, nothing lacking.
There are also intangibles to all this - for me it just feels good and right to have a Nikon back in my hands. I listened to my heart and intuition this time. Here are a few favorite shots from this year so far....Show more →
Beautiful work and totally agree with your points. I haven't tried other systems in a long time, but Nikon's ergonomics always fit me perfectly.
p.3 #5 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
groob wrote:
Beautiful work and totally agree with your points. I haven't tried other systems in a long time, but Nikon's ergonomics always fit me perfectly.
Thank you! Yes, those ergonomics make a big difference to me also.
p.3 #6 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Ross Martin wrote:
As a longtime Nikon shooter who took a detour to Sony the last three years, it is the Z8 that won me back over. And it ruined me for Sony, I was doomed as soon as I got the Z8 in hand and started shooting it. The ergonomics are perfect for me (no pinky dangling off the bottom, no grip knuckles shoved up against lens barrel), the feel in hand is superb, the output is gorgeous, the versatility is excellent. Shooting a speedy stacked sensor with no mechanical shutter is addictive. For my history and preferences, it looks and feels like my beloved D850, only better, and that vibe resonates with me. I love the size and weight and I take the Z8 everywhere, travel walk arounds with the 28/2.8 or 40/2 SE’s is a joy for me.
For landscape work I have it mated to the amazing Z 24-120 which is still unrivaled by any manufacturer, combined with a superb copy of the Z 100-400 for a simple and highly productive kit that suits how I see and compose. I shot the new A7RVI and that sensor is nice, but for me Z8 ergonomics won out. My walls have many prints hanging that I made from 45mp Nikons including the Z8 sensor (in the Z9) and they look gorgeous, no apologies needed, nothing lacking.
There are also intangibles to all this - for me it just feels good and right to have a Nikon back in my hands. I listened to my heart and intuition this time. Here are a few favorite shots from this year so far....Show more →
Great shots-
I think that is all that really matters- The gear needs to work with us not against us! What a crazy world we live in with so many world class options where we can debate minutia!
p.3 #7 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Disclosures first: I am a dual-system user, enjoying Sony+Nikon. And I've been nodding as I was going through the comments in this thread. Don't want to repeat what's been said, but one thing is worth mentioning.
VALUE. The Z6 III and Z8 in particular are both incredible from the value perspective. The f/1.8 S-primes and the 24-120mm S f/4 also have no rivals on that front. And if you buy slightly used here on FM, it gets absolutely ridiculous.
Ok, I will repeat one more thing repeatedly mentioned here because it's very important IMO: ergonomics+menus.
p.3 #8 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
RustyRus wrote:
Great shots-
I think that is all that really matters- The gear needs to work with us not against us! What a crazy world we live in with so many world class options where we can debate minutia!