p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) on Black Chrome Body?
This is a very subjective topic, but would still appreciate your own opinions on this, even better if you had relevant photos.
I'm thinking about getting Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic black paint (11713), but am hesitant about the super shiny black paint finish. I shoot M4 BC, M10-R BC, M10-M BC. I know I don't want a silver lens. The only other option is black paint, it looks classy, but I fear it's going to be extremely flashy. The Classic lens is shiny, with huge shiny hood - I fear it's going to stand out on a black chrome body like a statement symbol.
What are your opinions on this?
If any of you have this combination (BP 11713 with BC body) can you post some pictures?
Currently I'm shooting Nokton 50/1.0 and Planar 50/2.0. The Nokton is already pretty imposing, but at least it has a more of a satin finish.
p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) on Black Chrome Body?
Personally, I think the Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) looks its absolute best on a glossy black paint body like the M10-R BP, M11 MP, M240, or M-D. On a matte black chrome or the standard M11's black paint matte finish, that high-gloss lens finish is going to stand out quite a bit. It is not necessarily a bad look, but since it sounds like you'd prefer something more seamless, it's worth keeping in mind.
If you're looking for an alternative to the more modern 50mm Lux ASPH (v1 or v2), hunting down a 50/1.4 pre-asph Lux in black anodized aluminum would give you a much closer match to your body's finish. I have a copy of that lens and it's the lightest 50/1.4 lux at only 270 grams.
At the end of the day, I always recommend prioritizing the optical character and rendering you love most...the aesthetic match is just a bonus! But the good news is, you really can't go wrong performance-wise with any of these options.
p.1 #7 · Thoughts on Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) on Black Chrome Body?
My shiny black lacquer paint lens is a Thambar-M 90, and, no, it does not “match” my Leica M camera bodies, all of which are black-chromed. (Not that I have much fashion sense, for Leica as “jewelry,” anyway. ) A silver-chromed lens is a better aesthetic match for a black-chromed camera body.
Whether I should dump the Thambar, or not, has been a mental struggle. Perhaps I should find a matching MP film body?
p.1 #8 · Thoughts on Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) on Black Chrome Body?
I was really fascinated by the Summilux Classic 11714 lens (before the 11713 was released) and have tried 3 copies of it - all displayed a loose aperture ring. So I gave up the idea of owning one, and ended up with a pre-ASPH v2 optics into a chrome v1 lens body. Couldn't be happier, it is my most used lens.
But for a Summilux 50mm lens colour match to a BC camera body, I guess the Summilux 50mm ASPH E43 (11688) might be the answer. I know my 11688 lens looks gorgeous on my M-EV1 camera.
p.1 #10 · Thoughts on Summilux-M 50/1.4 Classic Black Paint (11713) on Black Chrome Body?
stgrove wrote:
Just to be clear 11713 is Glossy Black-stilll attainable
11715 is Black Chrome and attainable at inflated prices. 2000 made for millennial edition.
To expand, from another forum: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/threads/differences-between-summilux-1-4s.4577313/ LCT: There have been five (or more?) variants of the Summilux 50/1.4 asph IINW. The black version (11891) has been launched in 2004 and the silver one (11892) in 2006. The special edition LHSA came out in 2005 with black paint (11627) and silver (11628) coatings. Then the black chrome (11688) which is a limited edition of 500 pieces in 2015. All share the same optics AFAIK hence including one apo element according to D. Farkas quoting P. Karbe below. My experience is limited to 11891 though.
I believe the 11688 and 11715 are the same except for the place of manufacture (latter in Portugal).
And the lens in question, the 11713, is the black paint version of the recent 11714 Classic pre-ASPH.
Maybe if Leica had more logic to their product codes, we wouldn't have all this confusion.