LBJ2 wrote:
For unsupported Leica cameras, I can apply Leica Looks to the DNG file in the FOTOS app which will result in a JPG once applied at least on my iPhone, not sure about Android. With the newer supported Leica cameras, we can apply Leica Looks with optional custom settings to the JPG in-camera or apply the presets to DNG files in the FOTOS app.
That's correct, and I think Leica keeps updating the functionality. Right now you don't need to shoot DNG+JPEG. You can just shoot DNG, download the file to your FOTOS gallery, and apply a Leica Look to anything in there. The result is a JPEG, much like using a Fujifilm recipe.
The main difference with the Q3 and SL3 is that, once the Looks are loaded onto the camera, you can apply them in-camera without FOTOS. The Looks are probably also more accurate on those cameras, since they were designed for them.
Currently Leica does not support a typical preset/Leica Looks RAW/DNG workflow other than what I just described above.
Right, at the moment there's no way to get a Leica Look onto the DNG itself using Leica's tools. If you really want similar looks on your DNG files, you can use Capture One's Match Look tool, or Cobalt's Leica M profiles, which emulate Leica Looks.
flash wrote:
The grip works great. K loves it. And being Magsafe it will just move to her new phone that arrived today. Not so much for the grip on my Leitzphone.
And duh, what did you expect a colour profile to work on? Same as Fujis fake film emulations and. don’t see any one bitching about those.
Hi Gordon, I don’t know who is K and I dont know how it brings weight to the product we are discussing. I will save FMer’s time on this but a simple search on how buyer to say about this product, you will see the reviews from REAL USERS are subpar. Ironically part is it requires monthly payment after $400 dollar upfront payment to use all hardware feature which customer bought for.
You have no problem with this and willing handle your money to Leica for it. Fine. Am I allowed to say something about it?
There are tons of phone grip on market sell less than 50 dollar offer better or similar feature without monthly subscription. I am pretty sure this is another repackage with a case update. Looks pretty easy bucks to grab, right? Not so fast. My post is about how Leica doing business. I posted my criticism. You seems disagree and also looks quite angry somehow.
What do I expect a color profile to work? If I need pay monthly, I expect at least can work with Leica Raw files from all Leica camera. This is the borderline of my standard to Leica. Again my 2C.
flash wrote:
To see the constant whinging from people who haven’t used the app or profiles over the name attached to them is very disappointing. If you’re going to have a bitch at least have the whereabouts to actually try the app and have some idea about what you’re talking about. The camera profiles are free and the app costs a coffee a month with all he fruit. Or use the free version which just locks out the different focal lengths and manual controls. Use them or don’t. But don’t bitch about something one has zero experience with. The whinging is getting tiresome. Steve McCurry has achieved a huge amount in his career. His body of work is stunning. You don’t have to like him or his work but a bunch of wannabes or never has’ aren’t a valid critical base. No one cared about Greg’s profile. Why, exactly is this any different. No one is forcing you to use it.
Reminds me of an old joke. *How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? A hundred. One does it and the other 99 say they could have done that.* But you didn’t. And you probably couldn’t.
I spent a single (paid) day with Steve McCurry. The man is an absolute legend. Generous with his time and information. Tough as nails. Has one working hand and out shoots almost anyone here. He’s shot some of the most recognisable photographs in history. Yes, I agree he fk’ed up with the whole journalism/non-journalism thing. But maybe his massive influence on photography out weighs a single error in judgement.
It’s sad to see were six pages in, whinging about an app and some free camera profiles. Photography is a great thing. We should be celebrating it in all it’s forms, even if you don’t get it.
Seriously, this is so weak argument. Are you saying people have to use a product to say something about it? If that is the case, all crappy stuff at least get one sale sounds like. Thanks god in this case I am a heavy Leica User that pretty much used all their products. Otherwise, I can’t even talk about Leica publicly, especially negatively?
You quoted me but I never said a thing about Steve McCurry. I read your post that you view him as a legend, cool, I respect that. If someone feel different? What is the problem here?
LBJ2 wrote:
For unsupported Leica cameras, I can apply Leica Looks to the DNG file in the FOTOS app which will result in a JPG once applied at least on my iPhone, not sure about Android. With the newer supported Leica cameras, we can apply Leica Looks with optional custom settings to the JPG in-camera or apply the presets to DNG files in the FOTOS app.
Currently Leica does not support a typical preset/Leica Looks RAW/DNG workflow other than what I just described above.
Thank you for the explanation. Could you clarify: say I shoot with S007 or M11, I import my raw file to the app, can I apply this Steve M look on DNG file? or it has to be JPEG file to begin with?
Right now, the app show my camera is not supported.
As a pure colour photographer, it's refreshing to see more of it reach the mainstream M world, after so much B#W imagery, even though it's not to my taste.
zhangyue wrote:
Hi Gordon, I don’t know who is K and I dont know how it brings weight to the product we are discussing. I will save FMer’s time on this but a simple search on how buyer to say about this product, you will see the reviews from REAL USERS are subpar. Ironically part is it requires monthly payment after $400 dollar upfront payment to use all hardware feature which customer bought for.
You have no problem with this and willing handle your money to Leica for it. Fine. Am I allowed to say something about it?
There are tons of phone grip on market sell less than 50 dollar offer better or similar feature without monthly subscription. I am pretty sure this is another repackage with a case update. Looks pretty easy bucks to grab, right? Not so fast. My post is about how Leica doing business. I posted my criticism. You seems disagree and also looks quite angry somehow.
What do I expect a color profile to work? If I need pay monthly, I expect at least can work with Leica Raw files from all Leica camera. This is the borderline of my standard to Leica. Again my 2C.
Seriously, this is so weak argument. Are you saying people have to use a product to say something about it? If that is the case, all crappy stuff at least get one sale sounds like. Thanks god in this case I am a heavy Leica User that pretty much used all their products. Otherwise, I can’t even talk about Leica publicly, especially negatively?
You quoted me but I never said a thing about Steve McCurry. I read your post that you view him as a legend, cool, I respect that. If someone feel different? What is the problem here? ...Show more →
*K* is my wife. She has a Lux grip. So an actual user for about a year. And she paid for it in full. I am not an iPhone user so I have only used it on her phone. She uses it extensively and is not complaining. The Lux app is her preferred app for casual iPhone photography. Her only Leica cameras are a Q3 and Q3 Monochrom, which she uses for around 70% of her photography. For everything else she shoots Canon. She uses the Lux app mostly for social media and when we what’s app home but one or two have made it to prints.
And yes. If you have no experience with a product. Be quiet unless that product has a similar function as another in the same brand, or the technical data is a deal breaker. Maybe if you actually know the person who’s making comment. But something you read on the internet?. Nope. I don’t have a Z8 because it doesn't have raw pre capture. I’m not criticising the Z8. That’s a data point on why I don’t use one. I have vast experience with Nikon cameras over the years but I don’t have a Z8/9. So I don’t comment on them except that. Simple. I have a cupboard full of current Canon gear but no R1 or R3. I don’t extrapolate thoughts on those just because I have a R5. Just because you read someone else doesn’t like it doesn’t mean you're qualified to judge it. How do you know those people you’ve read about actually used one, extensively? Maybe they have a anti-Leica bias already? Or are just the normal trolls we deal with every day? Same with reviews that try one for a couple of hours or hold one in a shop.
Already you’ve been corrected a couple of times. Does that not show you that you don’t actually have the information you end to make a proper comment?
Also you could read where I posted that I changed to a general comment. Or not.
zhangyue wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. Could you clarify: say I shoot with S007 or M11, I import my raw file to the app, can I apply this Steve M look on DNG file? or it has to be JPEG file to begin with?
Right now, the app show my camera is not supported.
Happy to help. You can import the DNG from the M11 to the FOTOS app and then apply the Leica Looks in the FOTOS app to include the new Steve_M Look. I don't know about the S007 for certain, but I think there is a chance you can since I can apply the Leica Looks to my Sony RAW files through the FOTOS app on iPhone.
When you can pls let me know about the 007 files. I am curious.
As a pure colour photographer, it's refreshing to see more of it reach the mainstream M world, after so much B#W imagery, even though it's not to my taste.
To clarify: McCurry preset is part of Leica Looks. It can be used for free in the camera or in Leica FOTOS app.
Leica Lux is a subscription based camera app that also includes Leica Looks.
zhangyue wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. Could you clarify: say I shoot with S007 or M11, I import my raw file to the app, can I apply this Steve M look on DNG file? or it has to be JPEG file to begin with?
Right now, the app show my camera is not supported.
This is M11 DNG file I downloaded from the M11 to the FOTOS "Your gallery" on the iPhone.
As an example:
First image: Click Edit w/two circles, bottom left.
Second image: Scroll through the Leica Looks and click on the one to apply. Inside the small preset window you will find sliders to +/- the intensity of the preset.
flash wrote:
And yes. If you have no experience with a product. Be quiet unless that product has a similar function as another in the same brand, or the technical data is a deal breaker. Maybe if you actually know the person who’s making comment. But something you read on the internet?. Nope. I don’t have a Z8 because it doesn't have raw pre capture. I’m not criticising the Z8. That’s a data point on why I don’t use one. I have vast experience with Nikon cameras over the years but I don’t have a Z8/9. So I don’t comment on them except that. Simple. I have a cupboard full of current Canon gear but no R1 or R3. I don’t extrapolate thoughts on those just because I have a R5. Just because you read someone else doesn’t like it doesn’t mean you're qualified to judge it. How do you know those people you’ve read about actually used one, extensively? Maybe they have a anti-Leica bias already? Or are just the normal trolls we deal with every day? Same with reviews that try one for a couple of hours or hold one in a shop.
Already you’ve been corrected a couple of times. Does that not show you that you don’t actually have the information you end to make a proper comment?
Also you could read where I posted that I changed to a general comment. Or not.
I can't image how your world will be: If you are not politician, and you are not the ones fighting on the front line, then you should stop discuss certain issues? what kind of world is that?
Are you some golden examples for this that everyone has to follow the lead? Very cute mindset!
I think it purely sucks to have customers pay monthly bill to use a hardware have been paid for.
I don't go Nikon or Sony board to blast them as I haven't even read thereages. Sometime, I made a comment here in FM alt board as I feel I am entitled as Leica or alt user. I joined this thread, made my comments and it seems offend you and others.
As for being getting corrected, once but not a couple of times. I am not afraid to be wrong and been corrected. Is that the beauty of this place used to be? What about you, are you willing to accept different options and learn?
I used the Leica foto mainly for firmware update. As soon as I click the Leica look, I got this. At least that is Leica is trying to tell me that I shouldn't use it for my cameras which included M11P, 006/007 and SL2.
I will spend some time to explore LB2J's post and try. Seriously, this offer no value to me, but if anything, people read this will know and learn and at least it is useful than just rant about who have different option with you.
zhangyue wrote:
I can't image how your world will be: If you are not politician, and you are not the ones fighting on the front line, then you should stop discuss certain issues? what kind of world is that?
Are you some golden examples for this that everyone has to follow the lead? Very cute mindset!
I think it purely sucks to have customers pay monthly bill to use a hardware have been paid for.
I don't go Nikon or Sony board to blast them as I haven't even read thereages. Sometime, I made a comment here in FM alt board as I feel I am entitled as Leica or alt user. I joined this thread, made my comments and it seems offend you and others.
As for being getting corrected, once but not a couple of times. I am not afraid to be wrong and been corrected. Is that the beauty of this place used to be? What about you, are you willing to accept different options and learn?
I used the Leica foto mainly for firmware update. As soon as I click the Leica look, I got this. At least that is Leica is trying to tell me that I shouldn't use it for my cameras which included M11P, 006/007 and SL2.
I will spend some time to explore LB2J's post and try. Seriously, this offer no value to me, but if anything, people read this will know and learn and at least it is useful than just rant about who have different option with you. ...Show more →
Here's how to apply a Leica Look to any photo in your FOTOS gallery:
1) Connect your camera and download the file to FOTOS. It can be a DNG or a JPEG.
2) Leave the camera connection screen and go back to the first screen, "Your Gallery". The photo you just downloaded will be there.
3) Tap the photo, then tap "Edit" at the bottom left. From there you can pick a Leica Look and apply it.