fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              end
  

The Steve McCurry Look

  
 
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · The Steve McCurry Look


Despite the commercial tackiness, it can act as a starting point for further taste-based processing, like a foundation look, to build on. But how many people use such presets with nothing more to their final image preparation - post processing?

Right or wrong, I have the sense that Leica intends them to be used that way - as a one stop final solution. 'Click and done.' Ye gods, I just looked it up, they want to fleece the poor user: 'Subscription Pricing: A 'Leica LUX Pro' subscription costs $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year.' Bloody hell, you have to pay to be deskilled. They even had the hide to give it a fancy name! There's nothing 'lux' or 'pro' about it. But I suppose 'LAZY Fix' would not work so well.

It's very different to a film purchase, isn't it, as that is an essential part of the film workflow. For starters, you get to keep the film and its final product, this is manipulative and superfluous. Like BMW with the seat heating subscription, it's a slow but perpetual drip feed from your wallet to their bank account. These people are execrable. Corporatocracy.



Oct 08, 2026 at 02:31 PM
SrMi
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · The Steve McCurry Look


philip_pj wrote:
Despite the commercial tackiness, it can act as a starting point for further taste-based processing, like a foundation look, to build on. But how many people use such presets with nothing more to their final image preparation - post processing?

Right or wrong, I have the sense that Leica intends them to be used that way - as a one stop final solution. 'Click and done.' Ye gods, I just looked it up, they want to fleece the poor user: 'Subscription Pricing: A 'Leica LUX Pro' subscription costs $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year.' Bloody hell, you have to pay
...Show more →


Leica Looks presets are free to use on Leica cameras via the Leica FOTOS app. Leica LUX (lux being Latin for light), on the other hand, is a paid iPhone camera app that includes those same Looks. Since Leica Looks are baked directly into JPEGs, they're aimed at photographers who want a finished image straight out of the camera rather than spending time post-processing.



Oct 08, 2026 at 02:49 PM
LBJ2
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · The Steve McCurry Look


ByChrisJones wrote:
I see it no different than shooting a film stock tbh, no one says that when everyone wants to shoot portra 400 because they like the colors.



Sometimes we just have to say the obvious part out loud 😎



Oct 08, 2026 at 03:41 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

DrLogik
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · The Steve McCurry Look


Haters are gonna hate. I like the Leica camera app a lot and us it all the time. It would be better though if they offered a permanent license instead of the subscription. The same can be said for Adobe and Microsoft too though.


Oct 08, 2026 at 04:03 PM
freaklikeme
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · The Steve McCurry Look


chez wrote:
No, but I don’t just hit a button and take on some else’s look. I have more pride in my work…don’t need to try imitate some else’s look.

YMMY


It does vary (yary?) since I don't use a cell phone for photography. I also press more buttons, which apparently the LUX app allows as well, when editing, but I don't judge anyone for pressing more or less buttons than me.



Oct 08, 2026 at 04:35 PM
freaklikeme
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · The Steve McCurry Look


I don't understand the outage behind a living photographer, a seventy-six year old gentlemen who devoted his life to the pursuit, making a buck lending his name to a filter no one's forced to use.


Oct 08, 2026 at 04:43 PM
1       2       3       …       5              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account