p.1 #1 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
Looking at getting a super telephoto and I am trying to figure out if a Sigma 500mm f4 EF with an MC-11 would work well with a sony a9ii and sony a1. I have those cameras and they're great, but looking for a long super telephoto that isn't insanely expensive but still good quality. It seems like it could be a good option, but I'm curious if people have used that combo for sports?
p.1 #3 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
It will probably depend on what price you can find one for. If you find one for, say, around 2k it's probably worth giving it a try. If you're going to spend 4k+ your proabbly better off with the Sigma 300-600mm f4. My understanding is that even with the MC-11 you will still be limited to 15fps with AF-C, so depending on how you plan to use a 500mm for sports, this may pose a limitation.
p.1 #5 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
I can't speak about AF of the Sigma but like 3rd party lenses, the Sony A mount is limited to 15 fps and can't use Sony TC's. The 500 is very fast & the 600 High Speed (screw drive) is very fast for its era.
p.1 #6 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
I have this combo on my A9. The Sigma is a Canon mount. It works well even with a Canon or Sigma 1.4X TC. Even the 2X (for stationary objects), but your frame rate drops and autofocus is not as good as with a native lens.
You can probably find that lens for about $25-2700.
p.1 #10 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
DWOfPaul wrote:
It will probably depend on what price you can find one for. If you find one for, say, around 2k it's probably worth giving it a try. If you're going to spend 4k+ your proabbly better off with the Sigma 300-600mm f4. My understanding is that even with the MC-11 you will still be limited to 15fps with AF-C, so depending on how you plan to use a 500mm for sports, this may pose a limitation.
Even with a 300-600 f4 it still has the 15fps limit right? Thats a third party rule from Sony right?
p.1 #13 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
It works very well.
My first Sony was A9, bought mid 2019. I already owned Sigma 500 f4.
I used it with A9 a lot for 6 months (was not working) before buying Sony 200-600.
15 fps limit has already been mentioned.
The only other native function not supported I know of is Pre-AF.
Sigma states the MC-11 is not compatible with TCs. Is this true or was it said to satisfy Sony?
IMHO, it's not quite right with TCs regarding AF.
If the price is good, I'd consider buying.
Judging by other users reports though, the Sigma 500 f5.6 might be better.
Facts: A stop slower. Less than half the weight.
User reports: AF very good. There are more user reports to be found for the 500 5.6.
p.1 #14 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
The Sigma 500 f/4 EF-mount works well via the MC-11 with a9 II. But I did find AF-C was slightly more consistent on moving subjects using Canon R cameras via the Canon EF-EOS R adapter. The lens actually seemed to work better adapted to the R5 than it ever did on native EF bodies.
Optics are superb. If you need the extra speed and can deal with the size and weight, the 500/4 is an extraordinary lens. You can get the native FE-mount 500/5.6 for the same money. Focus is definitely faster and more consistent on the Sony mount f/5.6 lens. So unless you absolutely need the extra stop of light, do consider that option as well.
p.1 #15 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
Unfortunately, like most things in photography you will be dealing with compromise. Yup two things, max fps will be 15 and the AF acquisition speed will not be the same as native glass. I had an issue with the AF acquisition speed shooting soccer with adapted Canon glass on Sony. That hastened my planned switch over from Canon to Sony. Having just sold the bodies I was expecting to ease into Sony glass, but after experiencing the AF issue, I quickly sold the remaining glass and went to Sony versions. JMTC
p.1 #17 · Using a Sigma 500mm F4 EF adapted to Sony
schlotz wrote:
Unfortunately, like most things in photography you will be dealing with compromise. Yup two things, max fps will be 15 and the AF acquisition speed will not be the same as native glass. I had an issue with the AF acquisition speed shooting soccer with adapted Canon glass on Sony. That hastened my planned switch over from Canon to Sony. Having just sold the bodies I was expecting to ease into Sony glass, but after experiencing the AF issue, I quickly sold the remaining glass and went to Sony versions. JMTC
Unfortunately Sony makes no 500/4, nor a bunch of other Canon and Nikkor lenses I liked to use.