fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR

  
 
maxx9photo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR


Folks,

I've been away from Canon ecosystem for quite sometime (7 years). I'm currently shooting with MF (Hasselblad X) and have the itched of having a longer reach lenses for wildlife, which my current MF camera is not built for it.

The last time I used Canon eco was with 5DsR, (landscape/architectural with some people/pets protraiture in between).
I did try the EOS R when it was 1st released, but I feel something is not quite there compared to then my 5DsR.

My question for those who has used 5DsR in the past and still with EOS eco, what's current Canon mirrorless line up that is on par with IQ produced by 5DsR? Lens wise, I've used most of the L line up.

Thanks for any feedback!



Sep 20, 2026 at 10:19 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR


I have a 5DsR and an R6 II but have previously owned an R5 as well.

There is no direct equivalent to the 5DsR with regards to image quality. The 5DsR has the most detailed, sharpest files Canon has ever produced. The R5 and R5 II ar of course the closest, but they don’t quite get the level of bite the 5DsR has.

However, all current Canon mirrorless bodies have significantly higher dynamic range compared to the 5DsR, so pushing shadows is significantly cleaner, and will have more detail and color retention in very high contrast areas. I have found the 5DsR to still be good in this department, but there are definitely areas where an HDR merge would be needed on the 5DsR to get the same sort of final result as a single RAW file from the current mirrorless bodies.



Sep 20, 2026 at 11:07 AM
chas
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR


I shot with the 5DSR for a number of years and loved its output, and now own the R5II. I do think the 5DSR had a "smoother" or "creamier" quality compared to the R5II images, but I have to say that my overall quality/keeper percentage has improved dramatically with the R5II. And the useful ISO range is dramatic. Some of that may be due to the rapid changes in post-processing capability in PhotoShop. But the ability to have pinpoint control over so many aspects of the focusing, and the expanded capability of the dynamic range, really changed the game for me. Here is a 7 shot pano taken with it and the RF 70-200 2.8L You can't see it here as this is reduced to fit on the screen, but the detail in the full size image is outstanding. As much as I loved my 5DSR, I haven't looked back.










Sep 20, 2026 at 01:09 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR


maxx9photo wrote:
Folks,

I've been away from Canon ecosystem for quite sometime (7 years). I'm currently shooting with MF (Hasselblad X) and have the itched of having a longer reach lenses for wildlife, which my current MF camera is not built for it.

The last time I used Canon eco was with 5DsR, (landscape/architectural with some people/pets protraiture in between).
I did try the EOS R when it was 1st released, but I feel something is not quite there compared to then my 5DsR.

My question for those who has used 5DsR in the past and still with EOS eco, what's current Canon mirrorless line
...Show more →

I've used many 5DsR extensively since the first batch in Spring 2015, 5D IVs since introduction in 2016, until the R5 and later R5 II. (The R uses a sensor essentially the same as the 5D IV.) The R5/R5II have the blurry filter, though it is better than the older ones it is not the same as the 5DsR as far as fine details. Of course for general use the R5 and R5 II replaced both of the 5D series for me. For landscapes I'm usually panning-stitching so the decreased details are overcome by being able to shoot multi-row faster and focus stack.

I suggest renting an R5 II with the Canon EF-RF adapter and seeing how it works for you. You will want the LP-E6P batteries, which also works in all the older cameras. The few cameras supplied with the LP-E6NH would need a FW update.

EBH



Sep 20, 2026 at 02:54 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canon current mirrorless camera vs 5DsR


If your aim is to get back into Canon for wildlife, then IMO AF performance should be the top priority, which automatically rules out the 5Ds series and all the DSLRs. If you want high resolution, then the R5 or R5II are the only Canon mirrorless options with the R5II offering better responsiveness due to use of a stacked sensor, resulting in somewhat faster AF performance, considerably lower EVF lag, virtually no EVF blackout at high e-shutter frame rates, better subject recognition and tracking capability, pre-capture and much lower rolling shutter.

IMO it's no contest with respect to camera performance in favour of the R5II over the 5Ds if you're willing to accept slightly lower pixel-level resolution.



Sep 20, 2026 at 06:07 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account