fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              end
  
Did you preorder the 600mm f6.3 or 400mm f4.5?
Yes. I preordered the 600mm f6.3 GM
Yes. I preordered the 400mm f4.5 GM
Still on the fence. Would like to see more reviews and samples before deciding
No. Not interested or doesn’t make sense for my current lineup

600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll

  
 
austinschutz
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


LarryChen wrote:
The Sigma is 40% heavier with less reach and can’t do 30 FPS. It is also less flexible with extenders currently only the Viltrox 2x is compatible. Very similar cost. The Sigma has 1/3 stop more light while giving up reach.


$700 difference new (maybe a bit less since I get an educator discount), but the Sigma can be found used for about $2,200. But I think if we can swing it we will do the Sony (maybe I should really be comparing the 400mm w/TC since the cost is closer).

Didn't realize the weight is so different, I already find the 500mm very impressive.



Oct 03, 2026 at 07:36 PM
BigBabyMoses06
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


Native AF would push me to the Sony.


Oct 03, 2026 at 08:02 PM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


Jemini wrote:
Alex, why don't you start the 'Official images' thread for 400/4.5? I'm surprised Noone started it yet.



Too busy lately. Will do tonight if no one else done it yet



Oct 03, 2026 at 10:06 PM
tuomkok
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


I am little surprised of the popularity of 600mm in the poll.

400m has critically brighter aperture and makes sense to be used with 1.4xTC also in less than perfect light - thinking of Nordic winter conditions.




Oct 04, 2026 at 02:17 AM
valmofab
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #5 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


?is=3BP1HcuExzZhjrXx

is a short YouTube video; you'll find the download link for the JPEGs in the description. Please be kind, as this is the first video where I actually speak 😅.



Oct 04, 2026 at 03:50 AM
kaldur
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


tuomkok wrote:
I am little surprised of the popularity of 600mm in the poll.

400m has critically brighter aperture and makes sense to be used with 1.4xTC also in less than perfect light - thinking of Nordic winter conditions.



600mm is a better starting point for birds (well a quick zoom is but outside of that ) , though I agree, f/4,5 vs f/6,3 would make a difference in the woods and on overcast days, especially in winter. Nordic prices are a bit skewed in favor of the 400mm as well, at least here: 32k vs 45k SEK. I'm a bit tempted by the tc rebate currently running in some stores, to get the 400 and the sel20tc.

Valmofab: nice video, explaining your reasoning.



Oct 04, 2026 at 04:58 AM
Jemini
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #7 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


valmofab wrote:
is a short YouTube video; you'll find the download link for the JPEGs in the description. Please be kind, as this is the first video where I actually speak 😅.


Thanks for sharing the jpg files. You are right. They look identical. 300 combo has slight edge in bokeh. Otherwise it's hard to find any difference in sharpness.



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:11 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll





Oct 04, 2026 at 06:43 AM
TORP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #9 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


Get to test the 600 yesterday at a Sony event. It's insanely light.

I bought one, although I’ll have to wait for Monday for it to ship



Oct 04, 2026 at 07:25 AM
CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #10 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


The rep at the Sony event I was at yesterday said the preorders for the 600 are way above the 400. Same as our poll here.


Oct 04, 2026 at 10:50 AM
valmofab
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #11 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll




CPWarner wrote:
The rep at the Sony event I was at yesterday said the preorders for the 600 are way above the 400. Same as our poll here.


If I had a 30MP (or lower) sensor, I would have bought the 600mm f/6.3; but with the A7R6 and APS-C mode, I effectively have a 600mm f/4.5 at 28MP, and—for less skittish animals—a 400mm at 67MP. 👍



Oct 04, 2026 at 02:14 PM
valmofab
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #12 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll




CPWarner wrote:
The rep at the Sony event I was at yesterday said the preorders for the 600 are way above the 400. Same as our poll here.


If I had a 30MP (or lower) sensor, I would have bought the 600mm f/6.3; but with the A7R6 and APS-C mode, I effectively have a 600mm f/4.5 at 28MP, and—for less skittish animals—a 400mm at 67MP. 👍



Oct 04, 2026 at 02:14 PM
valmofab
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #13 · 600mm f6.3/400mm f4.5 preorder poll


In my tests, I noticed that the 400mm f/4.5 + 1.4x TC (at 560mm) performed on par with the 300mm + 2x TC (at 600mm).

The unknown factor now lies in the comparison between the 300mm f/2.8 + 2x TC (yielding 600mm f/5.6) and the native 600mm f/6.3.



Oct 04, 2026 at 02:20 PM
1       2       3       …       7              end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account