Titanium Limited Edition will only be available for preorder from August 10th through September 10th, 2026.
New Apochromatic Series: Incorporating four aspherical elements and multiple elements made from ultra-low-dispersion and anomalous partial-dispersion elements.
Refined Optical Performance: New high-transmission multilayer coating suppresses chromatic aberration and purple fringing. Designed for excellent sharpness, distortion control, edge-to-edge performance, smooth out-of-focus rendering, and natural transitions.
Close-Focusing Capability: The floating optical system maintains consistent performance throughout the focusing range, including at the minimum focusing distance of 0.3 metres.
Precision Construction: High-precision optical and mechanical components are developed in-house. Miniature bearings within the focusing mechanism provide smooth, accurate operation, designed for everyday use.
Two Barrel Configurations: Choose a smooth barrel without knurling or a close-focus-knurled barrel for improved grip. Both configurations use the same optical design. The smooth barrel is a limited-time option available to order through December 2026; production will then transition to the close-focus-knurled configuration.
Expected Fulfillment
Without Knurling: Initial shipments begin September 30, 2026, and continue through November 2026.
With Knurling: Shipments begin in December 2026 and continue through January 2027.
_______________________________
Dimensions
Focal Length: 35mm
Aperture Range: f/2–f/16
Optical Design: 11 elements in 6 groups
Aspherical Surfaces: 4
Frame Coverage: 135 full frame, 36 × 24mm
Focusing System: Floating lens-element optical system
Focus Range: 0.3m to infinity
Diaphragm: Preset, with half-increment lock settings
I ordered a titanium without knurling as I like the clean look but I will say i am slightly worried about the magnetic hood. I'm not sure how well (or if at all) it will work with a circular polarizer or other filters and it is another thing to lose. Also from the preview images it looks kind of ugly without the hood but that is simply cosmetic.
Hoping aside from the small nitpicks this lens delivers. I have had great experiences with my other LLL lenses so I feel confident that it will be a great lens.
Just FYI, the 5% discount doesn't happen automatically using the link above.
This is my favorite focal length, and so impressed with LLL, I went ahead and ordered despite only being a film user, and virtually all B&W at that. Might be a bit of overkill; I tend to favor the older, tone monster, singe coated lenses. It'll definitely be a different look, although I suspect there will be a limit to resolution, sharpness on film.
Not my particular cup of tea (quite happy with the Ultron as my go to 35), but looking forward to the review Fred. The initial APO announcement from LLL indicated there was a 50 in the road map, which is exciting. I love my Voigt APO-Lanthar 50mm but it sure would be nice if we could get that kind of performance in a more compact body.
I started comparing this lens with the Voigtlander 35/2 APO-Lanthar. Right off the bat, the LLL is considerably shorter at 41mm without hood vs 58mm for the Voigtlander which makes the LLL lighter as well. Filter size, the LLL is 39mm while the Voigtlander is 49mm. That being said, the Voigtlander is considerably less expensive new and lightly used copies are that much less. The price difference gives me pause from pre-ordering.
endergemini wrote:
I ordered a titanium without knurling as I like the clean look but I will say i am slightly worried about the magnetic hood. I'm not sure how well (or if at all) it will work with a circular polarizer or other filters and it is another thing to lose. Also from the preview images it looks kind of ugly without the hood but that is simply cosmetic.
Hoping aside from the small nitpicks this lens delivers. I have had great experiences with my other LLL lenses so I feel confident that it will be a great lens.
You’d want to keep the hood off with a CPL anyway so you can rotate it.
I wonder if they will provide a beauty ring for the screw on hood versions for when not using the hood.
I have the Leica version and it is another league from all other Leica 35's, but I haven't tried the 35 Noctilux. I'm sure this will get you 99% there at a third of the cost. I'm not sure why they would have a magnetic lens hood. I like my lens hood to stay put.
endergemini wrote:
I ordered a titanium without knurling as I like the clean look but I will say i am slightly worried about the magnetic hood. I'm not sure how well (or if at all) it will work with a circular polarizer or other filters and it is another thing to lose. Also from the preview images it looks kind of ugly without the hood but that is simply cosmetic.
Hoping aside from the small nitpicks this lens delivers. I have had great experiences with my other LLL lenses so I feel confident that it will be a great lens.
Website lists materials used for the titanium as “grade 2 titanium alloy”
AFAIK grade 2 titanium is commercially pure and not an alloy, also isn’t as tough as a grade 5 alloy.
Maybe it’s a typo? The 11873 AA page just says titanium alloy.
I pre-ordered the Ti w/o knurling. I was torn between this and the 11873, which has a beautiful rendering. This one seems like maybe a perfect put it on and forget lens. Looking forward to seeing the reviews start rolling out, and to see what they do with the 50mm APO next year. I have a 50 cron now and love it, but might have to try the APO.
spendychucky wrote:
Website lists materials used for the titanium as “grade 2 titanium alloy”
AFAIK grade 2 titanium is commercially pure and not an alloy, also isn’t as tough as a grade 5 alloy.
Maybe it’s a typo? The 11873 AA page just says titanium alloy.
Without going too far down the materials science rabbit hole, I recall having some kind of conversation on this when the titanium 11873 was announced, but given the density of grade 2 titanium is 4.51 g/cm3 (grade 5 would be 4.43) and aerospace aluminum commonly used for lenses is 6061-T6 and is 2.81 g/cm3 but the weight difference between the aluminum and Ti models is only around 10% (360 vs 327g) it would seem possible it might be some kind of anodized Ti coating then pure Ti. Even making a second calculation and accounting for the glass in the lens being ~50% of the total mass it seems hard to account for the 33g difference being between those two solid materials given the density. But it’s also pure speculation on my part.
Hoping I can try a copy before the knurled versions ship but not interested in preordering such an expensive total unknown at this point. Interested to hear the thoughts of the early adopters.
RoamingScott wrote:
Hoping I can try a copy before the knurled versions ship but not interested in preordering such an expensive total unknown at this point. Interested to hear the thoughts of the early adopters.
I did preorder the knurled Ti version but I do feel a little bit the same way ordering before seeing any real reviews. Despite it being about 1/3 the price of the Leica version used it is double the price of the Voigtlander. Given the known shortcoming of the Cosina version (mainly the size of it) I think it would have been more of a slam dunk in the ~1500 range but I have been pretty happy with my 11873 which made me feel willing to take an early chance on it.
RomanMF wrote:
No, knurling is an option on all paint colors. At least that’s how it is on the preorder page.
Yeah, I didn't click on the link because it's not a full knurled ring and still has my nemesis, the focus tab, but holy crap. That's not the price I was expecting.
I volunteer as tribute to guinea pig this lens as I pre-ordered the titanium w/o knurling...mainly because I have some travel coming up this fall, and am in the midst of a transition away from Sony and am building my Leica kit up. My goal with Leica was to have a more focused kit as I had a lot of redundant Sony glass, but I've found that M mount is similar to every other mount in that there is no goldilocks 35.
I've settled on the Lux 35 FLE for environmental portrait work and am happy with its really sharp wide open with nice contrast and separation with a touch of character. As a general purpose 35, I've found its just ok stopped down for landscape/architecture use and the .7mm focus distance is kind of annoying for outings, so I wanted to add a general purpose 35 for travel and EDC type shooting.
I actually only now noticed that the lux 35 FLE doesn't have a knurled focus ring either hah. I've used MF lenses for a while on Sony but actually discovered that I like the focus tab on Leica lenses a alot.
I like the pure black look. LLL describes it as black paint, but on the sample pictures, it looks like typical Leica black version, not glossy black paint. Anyone knows if it's glossy or matte?
Waiting on reviews. After my experience with the "11873" I'd go for the Titanium Grey here too, so hope, with that price, to see some reviews before the "limited edition" Titanium ordering ends. Especially compared to the CV 35mm APO.
PhotoKid62 wrote:
Just FYI, the 5% discount doesn't happen automatically using the link above.
This is my favorite focal length, and so impressed with LLL, I went ahead and ordered despite only being a film user, and virtually all B&W at that. Might be a bit of overkill; I tend to favor the older, tone monster, singe coated lenses. It'll definitely be a different look, although I suspect there will be a limit to resolution, sharpness on film.
Yes, at checkout use the promo code FREDMIRANDA for 5% off -- saving you $119.95 on the Titanium model.
In looking at the photos, I'm rethinking the knurling versus smooth and may have changed my mind. I think with the knurling version, it might be too easy to confuse the focus ring with the aperture ring when trying to adjust the aperture by feel while looking through the viewfinder.