fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What s...

  
 
TomCruise06
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


Hello FMers,

After nearly 6 years away from active photography, I’m finally jumping back into the hobby. Technology has moved at an insane pace since I last actively shot, and I’ve decided to make the leap into mirrorless with the Canon EOS R5.

Since I have a solid background with EF glass, my plan is to start by picking up an EF-EOS R mount adapter and using my existing EF lenses (currently owning a 7D Mark II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 100-400mm L IS II, EF 50mm, and Samyang 14mm f/2.8) before slowly building out native RF glass down the road. I also have a few crop lenses like the EF-S 10-18mm and EF-S 24mm, but I will be selling those along with the 7D2.

For those who have made this exact transition from DSLR to the R5 with adapted lenses, I’d love your insights on a few things:

EF Adapter Performance: How seamlessly does older EF series glass perform on the 45MP R5 sensor? Any quirks with AF speed, IBIS synergy, or battery drain I should watch out for?

EVF & Mirrorless Adjustment: Coming from optical viewfinders, what setting tweaks or battery management habits made the biggest difference for you when setting up the R5?

Firmware & Known Quirks: Are there specific menu settings or firmware updates critical for optimizing adapted lenses on the R5?

I’m currently in the process of hunting down a clean, low-shutter R5 body (aiming for mint condition under 10k actuations) to kickstart this new setup and get back out shooting. If you have any advice, lesson-learned tips, or general recommendations for someone stepping back in after a 6-year hiatus, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for the advice!



Aug 09, 2026 at 09:28 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


If your needs include action I usggest going directly for the R5 II.

Adapted lenses work just fine, but use the Canon rather than 3rd party. The newer lenses since about 15 years ago should work at high speed, whereas the older ones are lower FPS. Check the manual for the compatibility, but they will all function and AF well, even better than the DSLRs in some cases. I still use the 500/4 IS II regularly with the EF 1.4x III on the R5 II for example. I also have used 3rd party EF lenses, the 16-35/4 IS, 24 TSE II, 200-400/4 etc.
You might want to get the RF-EF adapter with the control ring or even the one with the filter drawer if you have ultra-wide lenses that don't take filters. I have two adapters to avoid swapping.

EBH



Aug 09, 2026 at 11:15 PM
tsangc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


I have done the exact transition myself from 5D, 5D2 and 7D2 to RP then R5.

The adapter is seamless.

Focus accuracy is I think even better as the focus sensors are in plane. No more stupid MFA on each lens.

Focus speeds are better as the R5 has a much faster AF performance than my original 5D and 5D2. The adapter is not the limitation. It will be the lens itself with its motors and the focus array on the new body compared with the old one.

The EVF has a lag so you will have to get used to it. Also to remove features based on your preference like showing a replay of the just taken image or simulated exposure mode which comes into use with studio strobes. There is a faster preview mode that eats more battery, I felt it wasn't worth the battery consumption.

The mirrorless cameras eat battery, this is countered by newer batteries with higher energy density. They're expensive. I found myself mapping buttons on the RP (right directional key) and R5 (front multifunction button) to sleep the camera to conserve battery and also to shut down so IS won't run continuously all the time.



Aug 10, 2026 at 02:47 AM
melcat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


TomCruise06 wrote:
For those who have made this exact transition from DSLR to the R5 with adapted lenses, I’d love your insights


I use an R3. All my Canon EF L and Zeiss ZE lenses worked without problems. Some of the oldest lenses can’t keep up with the R3’s frame rate. Initially I used only EF mount lenses but later replaced two of my four core lenses with RF ones; the other two are from 2014 and have no performance limitations on RF.

How seamlessly does older EF series glass perform on the 45MP R5 sensor? Any quirks with AF speed, IBIS synergy, or battery drain I should watch out for?

They perform perfectly on the 24Mpx R3. IBIS adds horizontal, vertical and rotational stablisation to what the lens IS was already doing, except for lenses like your 100mm macro with hybrid IS; with those, for stills, it leaves the horizontal and vertical to the lens. The IS switch on the lens controls lens and body IS together – this is not configurable. The menu item to turn IBIS on and off only applies to EF lenses which lack IS and RF lenses which lack an IS switch.

The RF cameras run IS on EF lenses whenever the camera is on, not just when the shutter is half pressed. So it’s a good idea to get into the habit of turning IS off when you don’t really need it.

Are there specific menu settings or firmware updates critical for optimizing adapted lenses on the R5?

Yes, if your EF 100–400 II is old enough it would benefit from a firmware update (to the lens). On mine it improved the AF tracking on my R3 without affecting it on my DSLR.



Aug 10, 2026 at 03:28 AM
TomCruise06
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


Thanks so much for taking the time to share such a detailed and thoughtful response! This is extremely helpful and exactly the kind of real-world insight I was hoping to find.

The tip about IS running continuously on EF lenses when the camera is powered on is a huge heads-up. I definitely wouldn't have known to watch out for that in terms of battery conservation. Good to know about the lens IS switch controlling IBIS globally as well!

Also, I'll be sure to check the firmware version on my EF 100-400mm II as soon as I get a body in hand. Great to hear that older L glass and the 100-400mm II perform so seamlessly without holding back the AF or stabilization.

Really appreciate your time and expertise here!



Aug 10, 2026 at 07:06 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


One thing you will have to consider is that subject detection AF on a MILC is different from the spot AF and especially the fine spot doesn't really exist on the Canons like it did previously. So you have to change your AF thought process for some subjects. The PD-AF on sensor also has a short effective base length so it you use big teles then the camera is more easily confuised as to front/rear focus when very out of focus. Your 100-400/5.6 is just near that limit sometimes, and if so you can zoom wider to get back on track, unlike a 600/4 for example.

EBH



Aug 10, 2026 at 08:16 AM
TomCruise06
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


Thanks so much for taking the time to share all these detailed insights, EBH!

I actually had no idea that older lens drive motors capped the maximum FPS on mirrorless bodies, so that tip about checking Canon's compatibility list was a huge eye-opener for me. It's really helpful to learn how those mechanical limits carry over when adapting glass.

I do shoot fast-moving subjects from time to time, so while the R5 Mark II is out of my budget right now, I'm sure the AF tracking and burst capabilities on the original R5 will still feel like a massive lightyear jump over my old 7D Mark II!

I also hadn't considered using the drop-in filter adapter to solve the filter issue on ultra-wides, so that's another great takeaway for me to keep in mind down the road. It’s super reassuring to learn that your EF 16-35mm f/4 IS, 100-400mm, and big telephotos are performing so reliably for you on mirrorless.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate a returning shooter - really appreciate all the advice!



Aug 10, 2026 at 08:33 AM
TomCruise06
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


Thanks a lot for chiming in, tsangc! Knowing you made the exact same jump from the 7D2/5D series to the R5 is super helpful.

I had totally forgotten about Micro Focus Adjustment (MFA) - not having to mess around with MFA on every single lens is honestly going to be such a huge relief!

The button mapping trick to sleep the camera (and shut down IS to save power) is brilliant. Coming from DSLRs where a single battery could last days, battery management on mirrorless definitely sounds like something I’ll need to build new habits around. Now I understand why so many people selling R5s list them with at least 2 or 3 extra batteries! Mapping the front multi-function button to put the camera to sleep right away makes total sense.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on turning off image review and adjusting EVF simulation settings for studio/flash work. That’s another solid workflow tip I wouldn't have thought about coming back into the game after 6 years.

Really appreciate you sharing your experience!



Aug 10, 2026 at 08:35 AM
tsangc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


It's a bit of a mindset change--I used to bring a half used battery on the 5D and it'd be fine for an afternoon. Now I won't leave the house with less than two fully charged batteries--albeit I have a mix of older LP-E6, LP-E6N and I think one new LP-E6NH.

My fear with the IS is that the IS module is still engaged while the camera is not up to your eye-eg it's trying to stabilize while the lens is pointed at the ground, bouncing on your hip as you move to your next shot. So the past six years with the RP I've instinctively made the deliberate effort to sleep the camera with that shortcut (which another FMer suggested back in 2019). I don't know if that helps or not, but as someone who keeps their lenses long term, I'd be really upset if one of them broke because of that.

One thing I noticed immediately was that the R5 sensor will out resolve a lot of my older EF glass. Lenses that were no problem for me included the EF70-200mm f2.8L IS v2 and EF300mm f2.8L IS v1. But my older EF17-40mm f4L and EF24-70mm f2.8L v1...both are quite soft when viewing pixels at 1:1.

Another is that the files are ridiculously huge. I'd always saved everything as regular CRW/CR2 RAW with previous cameras, but after about six months I realized there was really no point to shooting the full uncompressed CR3 file, at least not for the annual office baseball tournament or church picnic.

Also, I kept my 7D2 and use it all the time. If you're used to the extra bit of reach from the 1.6x crop (which I am) and its battery life, it still has a place. I don't know if they're worth very anymore, so I didn't bother trying to sell it.



Aug 10, 2026 at 09:15 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


TomCruise06 wrote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to share all these detailed insights, EBH!

I actually had no idea that older lens drive motors capped the maximum FPS on mirrorless bodies, so that tip about checking Canon's compatibility list was a huge eye-opener for me. It's really helpful to learn how those mechanical limits carry over when adapting glass.

I do shoot fast-moving subjects from time to time, so while the R5 Mark II is out of my budget right now, I'm sure the AF tracking and burst capabilities on the original R5 will still feel like a massive lightyear jump over
...Show more →

R5 AF is better than the 7D II for sure and you can still get 12FPS mechanical shutter. ES will produce rolling shutter artifacts ofn fast-moving subjects and blockiness sometimes. ES is limited to exactly 20FPS only so you run out of buffer very quickly.
The limitations on the older EF lenses are partly due to the data communication speed (controller in the lens is old and slow) and the diaphragm motor. Constant IS is not as bad as you think.

EBH



Aug 10, 2026 at 09:29 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

brianbeatty
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


I have the R5 and still held onto my 5DSR, so all of my lenses are EF. All of them work better on the R5 with the control ring adapter than they do on the 5DSR. AF is precise with no hunting, profiles are usually applied in-camera, and I never even notice any lag or anything. I also never take off the control ring adapter, so it doesn't even cross my mind that the lenses are adapted at all.

I highly recommend the control ring vs. the regular adapter. I didn't think I would use it (started with the regular), but now I have the ring set to exposure compensation and it's so nice to have a quick way to adjust without taking my eye off of the viewfinder or screen.

Also - never get rid of the 100-400 ii! It's a phenomenal lens



Aug 10, 2026 at 10:34 AM
osidesurfer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


I use an R5 with several EF lenses (and RF lenses), and it works great, much better than on DSLR bodies. One thing to note with the R5 is that it doesn't correct for focus shift on lenses that have that issue (e.g., RF 100mm f/2.8 macro). I believe that the new bodies have the option to stop down the aperture during autofocus. I'm not sure what you do when you manual focus, which I use mostly with macro. My R5 doesn't let you manual focus when you have the depth of field button activated, but maybe new bodies allow that. I recently replaced my EF 100mm f/2.8l macro with another copy of the EF lens instead of the RF version for that reason, so you may want to take that into consideration if you plan to upgrade your EF 100mm f/2.8L lens to the RF version.


Aug 10, 2026 at 10:37 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


The 100-400 IS II also has focus shift and it varies a bit by lens copy. I used to calibrate at 12 feet and f/7.1 for 400mm on one of mine. I do wish that RF lenses had a settable AF offset as a controlled button. It would be great to choose a slightly closer focusing distance with some species and slightly farther back distance with others.

EBH



Aug 10, 2026 at 02:17 PM
osidesurfer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


EB-1 wrote:
The 100-400 IS II also has focus shift and it varies a bit by lens copy. I used to calibrate at 12 feet and f/7.1 for 400mm on one of mine. I do wish that RF lenses had a settable AF offset as a controlled button. It would be great to choose a slightly closer focusing distance with some species and slightly farther back distance with others.

EBH


I use the EF 100-400mm IS II on the R5 quite a bit, at both minimum focus distance and further distances (e.g., for birds), and mostly wide open. It seems to nail the focus in every situation. Are you talking about the focus shifting when you zoom after focusing or is there some other situation where you see this focus shift.



Aug 10, 2026 at 05:19 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


A few thoughts after reading the other comments:

Definitely consider the mount adapter with the filter slot if you think you'll continue using EF lenses for a while. I love it with the polarizer as it's a lot simpler and more flexible than a bunch of front-mounted filters. There are also third parties such as Breakthrough and Kolari Vision who offer other filters compatible with the adapter (and also sell their own adapters), including some pretty specialized filters. One thing to keep in mind though, with the drop-in filter adapter, you need to have a filter in the slot for most lenses to be able to focus to infinity. A while back I tested this and it seemed like 100mm and longer should be able to focus to infinity without the drop-in filter installed, but it may be lens dependent as some lenses will focus past infinity. Therefore the drop-in adapter isn't quite as one-and-done of an adapter as one might think. And it's why Canon also sells a clear filter for the adapter. But it's probably cheaper just to buy a regular adapter, which gets you a second one for redundancy and to keep on another commonly used lens for faster lens swaps.

Continued use of 7DII after acquiring R5: why? R5 in APS-C crop is 17MP. 7DII is 20MP, which is barely any additional reach. The R5 so outperforms the 7DII, I really see no advantage to continuing to use a 7DII. If it was a 90D with 32MP, it would be a different matter if that reach was all that mattered. But then an R7 would be another option, too.

If you shoot RAW, I agree that for most uses the CRAW option, which is lossy compressed, is perceptibly the same as regular lossless compressed RAW. It's only with massive exposure pushes in post production where advantages for regular RAW become perceptible.

Most current mirrorless cameras are vertical line sensitive with respect to AF performance. This is one downside compared to DSLRs, where pretty much all had at least some cross sensitivity AF points. Mirrorless AF may also struggle more in extremely low contrast situations and strong backlighting, especially if the subject is mostly silhouetted in the viewfinder preview image. If you are confident about your exposure, set it manually. If the subject exposure is good, meaning it also has good EVF brightness, rather than being silhouetted, the camera will more easily focus on them.

I kind of ran into a related problem when doing a bunch of strobed portraits in a hallway against a bank of windows. With strobe use, usually your exposure setting is way different than ambient, and the EVF image will be thrown off. Or, if using a Canon dedicated strobe, the camera will automatically disable EVF exposure simulation. Normally this allows you to see the scene normally, but if like in my situation it was a backlit subject, the camera will then silhouette them if using regular multisegment metering because the camera would optimize the EVF image for the bright background. The workaround for this was to put the camera in spot metering mode and to ensure the spot was on the subject. This forced the camera to ignore the bright background and allowed me to at least see the subjects' faces while ignoring the blowout background. When I previously did these sessions on a DSLR, because of the optical viewfinder, my eye would make the necessary adjustments to see the subjects' faces, no matter how strong the backlight was. The more limited dynamic range of the EVF compared to the human eye unfortunately means that in extreme exposure situations, it will either blow out the highlights or block up the shadows. If in doubt, do test shots and review the images in camera to ensure you have the right exposure to retain the exposure range you need.

Batteries: yes, mirrorless cameras are more power hungry. The R5 uses the LP-E6NH battery for optimal performance and is also compatible (with a fw update) with the current LP-E6P battery. If you think you will be upgrading eventually, it would be worthwhile skipping the NH series and buying the P series. There's no downside that I know of to using the P in the R5. On the flip side, the older LP-E6N battery will have some performance limitations with the R5, IIRC. And if you have old LP-E6 batteries, they have further performance restrictions. Note that continuous frame speed in mechanical and electronic first curtain shutter (EFCS) modes is dependent on battery type (NH, N) and also brand. Canon's own LP-E6NH can support full 12fps EFCS down to about 40-45% SOC, after which fps rate will drop. Most third party NH batteries typically support 12fps down to about 70-75% SOC, after which fps rate drops. If you use the vertical grip, you can mix one Canon battery and one third party battery in the tray and EFCS will hold at 12 fps down to around 40-45% SOC. Note that the R5 doesn't seem to notice the difference between Canon brand batteries and correctly chipped third party NH batteries. However, at least with the third party NH batteries I have, the R5II does recognize they are not authentic Canon batteries and refuses to work with them. Just another reason to buy 'P' batteries to maintain compatibility if/when you upgrade. Electronic shutter mode generally sidesteps the fps limitations of batteries and battery SOC, but the R5 only offers single frame and full-bore 20fps in e-shutter.

Anyway, the R5 is a very powerful camera and will rejuvenate all of your EF lenses. It's basically every type of Canon DSLR camera wrapped into one, offering compact size, high resolution, high frame rate and greatly superior AF flexibility, performance and consistency. Once you get used to the minor EVF quirks, there's probably no going back.



Aug 10, 2026 at 08:48 PM
melcat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


EB-1 wrote:
The 100-400 IS II also has focus shift and it varies a bit by lens copy.


I don’t think the lens has the claimed focus shift at close distances. I did test for it in 2023 (on my DSLR) and couldn’t find any. What I did establish was that it needed to be stopped down a bit at 400mm and minimum focus distance for best sharpness (it was fine wide open at 100mm). I found a nice sharp shot of a dragonfly with this lens at 400mm f/8 on my R3 taken a month later, so that’s probably why I ran the test.



Aug 10, 2026 at 09:51 PM
vbnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


Regarding EVFs, while they do have some disadvantages (e.g. lag) compared to optical VFs, they also have a massive (IMO) advantage. Exposure simulation (one of the modes for Canon EVFs) incorporates your exposure settings into the image displayed in the viewfinder, letting you see what your captured image is going to look like. This has been a game-changer for me (and for many other, from what I read).


Aug 10, 2026 at 10:07 PM
melcat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


osidesurfer wrote:
I believe that the new bodies have the option to stop down the aperture during autofocus.


There’s a setting “Display Simulation” which turns on depth of field preview permanently, but it also turns on exposure simulation; you can’t have the DoF preview without the exposure simulation, at least on the R3 and R1. I normally have Optical Viewfinder Simulation ON and it would require going into multiple menu items to go back and forth between the two display modes. This setting also doesn’t work with certain EF lenses.

There may be some other setting on the later bodies, but there isn’t on the R3.

I'm not sure what you do when you manual focus, which I use mostly with macro. My R5 doesn't let you manual focus when you have the depth of field button activated, but maybe new bodies allow that.

The R3 doesn’t.

Someone at dpreview claimed there was a firmware update to the bodies which corrected for focus shift on the RF 100mm macro, even when manually focussing. I’m sceptical, because that would mean refocussing when you release the shutter, which would add shutter lag. You should be able to hear the focus motor working but no-one posted that they could. And you would hope to see it mentioned in firmware release notes.

I too am steering well clear of the RF 100 macro. I have my 3 EF mount macro lenses.



Aug 10, 2026 at 10:22 PM
tsangc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


rscheffler wrote:
Continued use of 7DII after acquiring R5: why? R5 in APS-C crop is 17MP. 7DII is 20MP, which is barely any additional reach. The R5 so outperforms the 7DII, I really see no advantage to continuing to use a 7DII. If it was a 90D with 32MP, it would be a different matter if that reach was all that mattered. But then an R7 would be another option, too.


For me, the big reasons are:

a) it's useful to have a second (or in my case, third) body at events--I usually leave my 7D2 on the 300mm f2.8. I recently shot a charity golf tournament where bumbling around on a golf cart I'd rather have each key lens on a separate body. My R5 had the 70-200mm, my RP the 24-70mm.

b) the battery life goes forever. I used a single LP-E6 in there the whole day.

The camera's already paid for--I don't think it's really going to net more than a couple hundred bucks.

You are correct in that the density of the R5 cropped out is likely similar to the 7D2. I can't explain why, but I feel the 1:1 pixels out of the 7D2 are sharper than the cropped 45MP center of the R5.



Aug 11, 2026 at 09:03 AM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?


I'm a sample of one, but I have found the drop-in filter adapters to have a little more play with heavier lenses, and though I haven't exhaustively tested, I suspect this contributes to uneven corner performance for most any Canon lens I put on them. I've used both the Canon 3442C002 (currently on sale, with the C-PL combo) and the Meike. The Meike includes shims.

It is however really nice to use bulbous lenses like the 11-22 and 17mm TS-E with filters, uneven polarizing at UWA be damned!



Aug 11, 2026 at 10:33 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account