p.2 #1 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?
osidesurfer wrote:
I'm not sure what you do when you manual focus, which I use mostly with macro. My R5 doesn't let you manual focus when you have the depth of field button activated, but maybe new bodies allow that.
melcat wrote:
The R3 doesn’t.
It probably worked on the EF mount system because most USM lenses were not manual-focus-by-wire. Only the first generation 'big whites', 28-80/2.8-4.0L, 50/1.0L and 85/1.2L.
With RF, every lens is manual-focus-by-wire and it probably behaves the same as in AF mode - when DOF is pressed, AF stops (at least it did on EF - haven't yet checked RF). Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to override this when desired...
Someone at dpreview claimed there was a firmware update to the bodies which corrected for focus shift on the RF 100mm macro, even when manually focussing. I’m sceptical, because that would mean refocussing when you release the shutter, which would add shutter lag. You should be able to hear the focus motor working but no-one posted that they could. And you would hope to see it mentioned in firmware release notes.
I too am steering well clear of the RF 100 macro. I have my 3 EF mount macro lenses.
A few years ago another member here demonstrated that using the spherical aberration ring will counteract focus shift at macro distances.
An RF lens that I'm pretty sure has focus shift is the 70-200/4. I use it a lot for headshots at f/8 and best focus typically seems to be slightly behind the eyes, though the eyes are still within DOF/acceptable sharpness. IIRC the first RF 70-200/2.8 had a focusing issue that required a FW update.
p.2 #2 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?
tsangc wrote:
(...)
Focus accuracy is I think even better as the focus sensors are in plane. No more stupid MFA on each lens.
(...)
Yep. I have Sigma 50Art which needed MFA of 6 units on DSLR to focus correctly, and I thought I might perhaps put it on recalibration service so it worked on Rebels, but in the end I went RF in bodies department and it just performs as well as any other Canon or Sigma EF I mount on the bodies. This is definitely big improvement over past.
p.2 #3 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?
The newer bodies all have an option to have exposure preview include depth of field, which will focus at shooting aperture, eliminating any effects of focus shift. These bodies AF so well anyway that speed is largely unaffected.
Also, on the 100 Macro, if you are using it on an older body, a small amount of +SA will eliminate the focus shift. (Focus shift is a result of residual SA.) When I shot the lens on an R5, setting the SA control here eliminated focus shift with little to no effect on sharpness because it’s a minor amount.
Now on the R6 II I just have exposure+DOF preview set on the camera and never have to worry about it.
Aug 12, 2026 at 06:05 AM
Glenn Poulain Offline [X]
p.2 #4 · Returning after 6 years: Transitioning from EF to R5 via Adapter. What should I expect?
The EF-RF adapter works really well, so I wouldn’t worry about your EF glass. The 100-400 II in particular should be a great match on the R5. I’d honestly use your existing lenses for a while before buying RF glass, since you already have a pretty solid lineup. Coming from a DSLR, the EVF and menu system will probably take more adjustment than the adapted lenses.