Alone in NYC doesn't always mean lonely. Sometimes it's just you, the noise of the subway, the glow of storefronts at midnight, and a city that never notices who's walking beside it. Millions of people pass each other every day, yet everyone seems to be carrying a different story.
You can disappear into the crowd, being anonymous and somehow feel more visible to yourself than ever before.
Maybe that's what being alone in New York really is, not the absence of people, but the space to hear your own thoughts over the city's endless rhythm.
Good seeing, Marcello. I scrolled around your image looking for hint of time of day (early morning?).
That's when I spotted the fog around One World Trade Center, in the distance.
I see another crop, if I may offer it. A narrow, vertical crop, like a third, that includes the center of the image, keeping the pedestrian with blinders -- staring at the phone while she crosses the street, listening with her earbuds -- the foggy sky; and the reflection.
I get the impression that she is somehow elevated within the scene. Perhaps because there is that gap between her feet and the reflection. Or maybe because her outfit is so dark against the white sky. Or it is the perspective with her above the angle of view of the camera and her being so large relative to the surrounding buildings. Anyway, cool image!
jgurbisz wrote:
Well stated and great capture too, I dig the low angle perspective!
Thank you for the comment and feedback.
---------------------------------------------
GoodEgg wrote:
Good seeing, Marcello. I scrolled around your image looking for hint of time of day (early morning?).
That's when I spotted the fog around One World Trade Center, in the distance.
I see another crop, if I may offer it. A narrow, vertical crop, like a third, that includes the center of the image, keeping the pedestrian with blinders -- staring at the phone while she crosses the street, listening with her earbuds -- the foggy sky; and the reflection.
Thank you for your comment and feedback, GoodEgg.
This photo was captured at 8:00 a.m. on a foggy, humid morning after the heavy rain we had last Monday.
I think your suggestion to crop it vertically is a great one. Thank you, I’ll definitely give it a try
---------------------------------------------
Dragonfire wrote:
Me and my shadow... Reflection
Thank you Frank
---------------------------------------------
douter wrote:
' like this a lot, Marcello!
Douglas
Glad you like it Douglas
---------------------------------------------
Brev00 wrote:
I get the impression that she is somehow elevated within the scene. Perhaps because there is that gap between her feet and the reflection. Or maybe because her outfit is so dark against the white sky. Or it is the perspective with her above the angle of view of the camera and her being so large relative to the surrounding buildings. Anyway, cool image!
Thank you, I see what you mentioned regarding the POV, it is mainly because the camera was placed very low and gives this optical effect.
---------------------------------------------
Creative Edge wrote:
Marcello, this is a hell of a great shot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much Michael, I really appreciate it.
---------------------------------------------
bnfotografie wrote:
Fantastic shot and great idea to use the low angle. I also very much enjoyed the accompanying text.
Brent
Thank you Brent for the kind comment.
---------------------------------------------
lazlo36 wrote:
What an excellent composition Marcello. Were you lying on the pavement ?
Thank you Lazlo, I was inclined placing my camera on the pavement,