I have been looking for a smallish hip bag to carry a small camera (Sony A7cr, Lumix S9) with a small lens and a pair of sunglasses. So far I haven't been able to find anything suitable as most bag seem to be cross-body only.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Thank you!
I like the Mountainsmith brand of lumbar packs because of their comfort and high quality.
REI has an excellent variety of lumbar packs/bags which may meet your requirements. Their website will illustrate their offerings or, if feasible, you can visit one of their stores for a closer look. REI has great customer service.
Good luck on your search.
aryaah wrote:
I like the Mountainsmith brand of lumbar packs because of their comfort and high quality.
REI has an excellent variety of lumbar packs/bags which may meet your requirements. Their website will illustrate their offerings or, if feasible, you can visit one of their stores for a closer look. REI has great customer service.
Good luck on your search.
I'll second the recommendation for MountainSmith — I've owned two of their "Day" lumbar packs (and a couple of their backpacking packs).
That model is way too big for what you describe, but I use it for travel, in part because it converts into an "almost backpack" for hiking, and otherwise works as an under-seat airline bag. But they do make lumbar packs in all different sizes.
t the OP, I think there are a few reasons that you aren't seeing so many fanny packs these days. People who used to use them for travel and urban adventures are less likely to do so now, partly because the "look" is seem by many as being uncool (which isn't necessarily a reason to avoid them, but it explains the trend) and because they do create a security issue in crowded places — a bag behind your back like that is an easy target for the bad guys.
That's where the cross-shoulder bags have an advantage. You can swing it behind your back where that seems safe and you want it out of the way. You can put it in front of you for easy access and to keep a better eye on it. You can also position it under your arm and keep things even more secure.
Personally, I moved to cross-shoulder and similar bags some years back.
I get that fanny packs don't look as cool crossbody bags (though the 90s are supposed to make their comeback), but I absolutely hate how crossbody sling bags tend to slide down my back unless they have a second stabilizing strap The great thing about fanny packs is that they take the weight off your shoulder, and don't move much. Plus, if you are worried about security, you can easily move it to the front and turn it into a practical gut support, which also make changing lenses much easier. The thinktank belt system is fantastic, though a bit too extreme for the causal walk-around. But I suppose I am in the minority with my preferences.
Mountainsmith does have a few interesting ones. I might have to order a few and see how things fit.
mranger211 wrote:
The great thing about fanny packs is that they take the weight off your shoulder, and don't move much. Plus, if you are worried about security, you can easily move it to the front and turn it into a practical gut support, which also make changing lenses much easier. The thinktank belt system is fantastic, though a bit too extreme for the causal walk-around. But I suppose I am in the minority with my preferences.
I'd agree on the physique/shape making things different for different people. A bit of an aside, I don't like "slings" that need to be tight or slip around. But I'm not always fond a a shoulder bag because it swings around some, too. They are easier to slide to the lap for sitting down, or front for closer handling.
I've used waist packs in the past, nice for some walking places, slip around behind and it's out of the way. Other places that seems risky. So more shoulder bags these days.
Law officers, carpenters, etc., with heavy waist tool/duty belts can turn to suspenders, braces, straps etc/. to get some of that weight off the waist or tight squeezing. I don't have a current favorite but would agree looking to Mountainsmith or R.E.I. or similar spots as a start.
A smallish lumbar of pack about 2.0L to 3L should work for you. I've tried/owned several in that range, which I use for short walks or on day hikes with a backpack (with the waist pack worn in front).
Ease of access varies depending on the zipper configuration. It's easier to load a camera into a small pack if the zipper runs around the perimeter (e.g., the 3L Cotopaxi Bataan or 5L Mountainsmith Trippin') than if the zipper splits the top.
FWIW, I have a Cotopaxi Bataan Del Dia pack that holds my Sony A7R III with a small manual focus lens mounted (e.g., a Voigtlander 50mm APO) and a second small lens. I just confirmed that I can fit sunglasses in a case with my camera and a mounted lens if I leave the second lens behind. (If you're worried about style, note that the Cotopaxi brand emphasizes the use of mismatched fabric remnants, so there's that. You can pick a slightly more sedate color mix if you order directly from the Cotopaxi web site, but you'll still have a pink and yellow waist strap.)
Craig Gillette wrote:
I'd agree on the physique/shape making things different for different people. A bit of an aside, I don't like "slings" that need to be tight or slip around. But I'm not always fond a a shoulder bag because it swings around some, too. They are easier to slide to the lap for sitting down, or front for closer handling.
I've used waist packs in the past, nice for some walking places, slip around behind and it's out of the way. Other places that seems risky. So more shoulder bags these days.
Law officers, carpenters, etc., with heavy waist tool/duty belts can turn to suspenders, braces, straps etc/. to get some of that weight off the waist or tight squeezing. I don't have a current favorite but would agree looking to Mountainsmith or R.E.I. or similar spots as a start....Show more →
Absolutely, different body shapes affect what makes a bag comfortable. Maybe there is a cross-body bag that won't slip on me, but I haven't found it, yet. These days I have a backpack when I take a lot of equipment to balance the load between both shoulders, and a shoulder bag for the one-camera walk-around setup.
---------------------------------------------
zugzwang2 wrote:
A few thoughts:
A smallish lumbar of pack about 2.0L to 3L should work for you. I've tried/owned several in that range, which I use for short walks or on day hikes with a backpack (with the waist pack worn in front).
Ease of access varies depending on the zipper configuration. It's easier to load a camera into a small pack if the zipper runs around the perimeter (e.g., the 3L Cotopaxi Bataan or 5L Mountainsmith Trippin') than if the zipper splits the top.
[...]
Thank you for the Cotopaxi tip. I am a big fan of the brand (including their color scheme).