p.2 #2 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
adventure_photo wrote:
Well I heard back from Viltrox and here is what they said:
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for providing us with the detailed information and for testing the lens on different camera bodies.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to clarify that the Viltrox AF 14mm F4 Air is currently not officially compatible with the Sony A7R VI.
Therefore, the autofocus issues you are experiencing on this camera may be related to the current compatibility limitation. The fact that the lens works normally with your Sony A7CR and A7R V is also helpful information for us.
At the moment, we do not have a confirmed timeline for adding compatibility with the A7R VI. If there is any future compatibility update, we will publish the relevant information on our official website or social media channels.
Thank you very much for your understanding and continued support.
p.2 #3 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
No problem Ross, will update again if I hear of a new firmware update. It works well using it in manual focusing mode which is what I’ve been doing. Plus the the lens has so much depth of field, it’s easy to achieve sharp focus l. Where I do like autofocus is for when I’m quickly focusing between far and close subjects. Ross Martin wrote:
Thanks for updating us, Scott. A lens like this is pretty easy to use in manual focus for what I need it for, so I may still add an E mount copy.
p.2 #4 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
adventure_photo wrote:
No problem Ross, will update again if I hear of a new firmware update. It works well using it in manual focusing mode which is what I’ve been doing.
I just noticed that Viltrox has version 1.0.8 available now (within the Viltrox Lens app). The only description is 'fixed known bugs'.
I installed it and so far no trouble, and AF-S is working on my a7Rvi.
p.2 #5 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
MikeEvangelist wrote:
I just noticed that Viltrox has version 1.0.8 available now (within the Viltrox Lens app). The only description is 'fixed known bugs'.
I installed it and so far no trouble, and AF-S is working on my a7Rvi.
Thanks for the heads up Mike! I just updated mine too. I am still experiencing the same issue but it does seem better though. When in small af spot, and using AF-S, as I try and focus on different subjects, it sometimes locks on immediately and other times it seems to freeze up and not do anything with the AF. But if I re-enage focus by half-pressing shutter or using back button focus, after the second or third time it will then lock on and finally work. It does seem better though and at least works after a few times of trying to lock on. I like this little lens but it's this kind of stuff that makes me hesitant to purchase non-Sony lenses.
And just and FYI for those trying to update, the website still shows version 1.07 as the latest firmware, but if you download the desktop software and connect the lens, it then says a new firmware ver 1.08 is available and do you want to update.
p.2 #6 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
Issues still persist, can't use any mode other than af-c and single shot. I used the lens for some interior real estate photos yesterday and had to change to manual focus. If I tried to bracket it locks up for 5 -10 seconds.
p.2 #7 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
Viltrox posted new firmware today for this lens. It seems to work fine now with my A7R6....can anyone else validate? The firmware notes only mentioned "Fixed known issues"...
p.2 #8 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues
Edit: Thanks! Testing now. Seems to work much better in AF-S and seems fine in different shooting modes. It did not lock up on me once, will have to test it outside.
- Trying to install via PC, viltrox software doesn't work even tho I followed their janky instructions. Will try from my phone now.
- Edit: Doesn't work on the phone for me either lol. Black screen. Pixel 10 Pro. I'll delete all this spyware now.... ugh.
- Edit Edit: Update worked, tried about 10 times on the PC. I didn't do anything different each time. I was getting a "Data Error" in the notes when I tried different cables, sometimes the button did nothing, sometimes it said data error. Then once it finally worked.