fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues

  
 
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


I've been having issues with the Viltrox 14mm f/4 Air on my new A7RVI with autofocus. It's very sluggish overall, and at times simply seizes up or doesn't engage, even after repeated re-activating autofocus. I saw they released new firmware on July 17th - Version 1.07. I updated the lens yesterday and still experiencing issues. I also compared the lens in the same environment focusing on the same subjects with my A7CR and A7RV and no issues with those cameras. Anyone else notice this on the A7RVI? Hopefully another future firmware fixes this.


Jul 25, 2026 at 01:06 PM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


I don’t own the A7Rvi, so no direct help. But I’ll at ask if —and not assume— you tried various AF modes and frame sizes?


Jul 25, 2026 at 02:57 PM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


adventure_photo wrote:
I've been having issues with the Viltrox 14mm f/4 Air on my new A7RVI with autofocus. It's very sluggish overall, and at times simply seizes up or doesn't engage, even after repeated re-activating autofocus. I saw they released new firmware on July 17th - Version 1.07. I updated the lens yesterday and still experiencing issues. I also compared the lens in the same environment focusing on the same subjects with my A7CR and A7RV and no issues with those cameras. Anyone else notice this on the A7RVI? Hopefully another future firmware fixes this.



Scott, I noticed that the AF of my Viltrox 50mm f/2 Air stopped working when it is on AF-S but it works fine on AF-C. I didn't encounter any issues using AF-S with other cameras. Jack @Jack Flesher pointed to that possibility above. That's the drawback of using a 3rd party lenses, I guess. They are not 100% compatible. Not the end of the world though...



Jul 25, 2026 at 04:32 PM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Just an update - all Viltrox lenses behave the same way; it cannot focus using AF-S on the A7r VI. The same goes for my only only TT Artisan lens. On the other hand, my Sigma i-Series lenses and Zeiss Batis lenses, behave like native Sony lenses. In other words, no AF issues using the AF-S mode on the A7r VI. I don't have any Tamron lens to say one way or another.


Jul 26, 2026 at 05:21 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Jack Flesher wrote:
I don’t own the A7Rvi, so no direct help. But I’ll at ask if —and not assume— you tried various AF modes and frame sizes?


Thanks Jack, I only tried small and medium spot focus using AF-S. I will re-run some tests using other modes and see if that helps until they come out with new firmware.



Jul 26, 2026 at 09:56 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


AGeoJO wrote:
Just an update - all Viltrox lenses behave the same way; it cannot focus using AF-S on the A7r VI. The same goes for my only only TT Artisan lens. On the other hand, my Sigma i-Series lenses and Zeiss Batis lenses, behave like native Sony lenses. In other words, no AF issues using the AF-S mode on the A7r VI. I don't have any Tamron lens to say one way or another.


Thanks for giving input on your experience Joshua. I noticed the same, it was AF-S and small spot focus point mostly although tried medium as well with same results. And like you mentioned, the other 3rd party lenses I have including all my Batis lenses and the one Tamron 28-200 I have, all work flawlessly on the A7RVI. I suspect Viltrox will put out firmware for all their lenses to make them compatible with the A7RVI. I do really like that little 14mm Viltrox, so hoping they do so sooner than later.



Jul 26, 2026 at 10:01 PM
Planetwide
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


I have a 14mm. It does the same thing on my A7r6, but it works perfectly on my A7r5...


Aug 13, 2026 at 09:31 PM
rob_ww
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Has there been any indication Viltrox recognise the A7R6 problem and are releasing a firmware update to address it?



Aug 15, 2026 at 08:16 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Send your reports to their unpublished "comm dot support at viltrox dot com" email address. That address has a 12 hour reply time during the week.


Aug 15, 2026 at 08:56 AM
Ross Martin
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


adventure_photo wrote:
I've been having issues with the Viltrox 14mm f/4 Air on my new A7RVI with autofocus. It's very sluggish overall, and at times simply seizes up or doesn't engage, even after repeated re-activating autofocus. I saw they released new firmware on July 17th - Version 1.07. I updated the lens yesterday and still experiencing issues. I also compared the lens in the same environment focusing on the same subjects with my A7CR and A7RV and no issues with those cameras. Anyone else notice this on the A7RVI? Hopefully another future firmware fixes this.



Thanks for sharing your experience on this, Scott. I enjoyed the Viltrox 14mm when I used it on a Z8 and may add an E-mount copy for use on my A7R6.



Aug 15, 2026 at 08:38 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


It’s surprisingly a great little lens Ross. I really like it too. It’s perfect as a lightweight ultra wide for travel and landscapes plus I like the fact that it takes 58mm filters easily when I need to use a polarizer. I did write to Viltrox letting them know the issues I’m experiencing. I’ll give an update if I hear anything back. Hopefully a future firmware release to fix the issue.

Ross Martin wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience on this, Scott. I enjoyed the Viltrox 14mm when I used it on a Z8 and may add an E-mount copy for use on my A7R6.




Aug 15, 2026 at 11:44 PM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Sidebar question. How do you guys update Viltrox FW on a Mac? My Mac doesn’t see the lens if I plug it in.


Aug 15, 2026 at 11:52 PM
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Jack Flesher wrote:
Sidebar question. How do you guys update Viltrox FW on a Mac? My Mac doesn’t see the lens if I plug it in.


You're using the 'Viltrox Lens' application, right?

Did you get the Mac OS alert asking if you want to allow it to connect?







Aug 16, 2026 at 07:30 AM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Yes, but I don’t get that window. I will reinstall the app and try again.


Aug 16, 2026 at 09:12 AM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


As an experiment, can sometime try manually focusing a Viltrox closer and further away from "correct" focus (for a given subject) and then try AF-S focusing from that new focus position and see what impact if any it has on the AF-S focusing operation? Please also include a focus test that starts at the exact "correct" focus position.


Aug 16, 2026 at 09:34 AM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


So I reinstalled the app and it now works. I was able to update both my 26 EVO and 50/2 AIR. Both of those lenses AF just fine in either single or continuous AF on my A7R6 for whatever that's worth at time. To be more clear, the AF on the 26 is still relatively slow, but it's accurate; the AF on the 50 AIR is almost instant by comparison and possibly faster than it was before.


Aug 16, 2026 at 02:33 PM
James Burden
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Well damn.....me too... 😎


Aug 16, 2026 at 03:05 PM
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


adventure_photo wrote:
I've been having issues with the Viltrox 14mm f/4 Air on my new A7RVI with autofocus. It's very sluggish overall, and at times simply seizes up or doesn't engage, even after repeated re-activating autofocus. I saw they released new firmware on July 17th - Version 1.07. I updated the lens yesterday and still experiencing issues. I also compared the lens in the same environment focusing on the same subjects with my A7CR and A7RV and no issues with those cameras. Anyone else notice this on the A7RVI? Hopefully another future firmware fixes this.


I seldom use AF-S, but after reading this thread I tried it with the 14mm/a7Rvi combo. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not; a couple times it locked up the camera, requiring battery removal.



Aug 16, 2026 at 03:15 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


Well I heard back from Viltrox and here is what they said:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for providing us with the detailed information and for testing the lens on different camera bodies.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to clarify that the Viltrox AF 14mm F4 Air is currently not officially compatible with the Sony A7R VI.

Therefore, the autofocus issues you are experiencing on this camera may be related to the current compatibility limitation. The fact that the lens works normally with your Sony A7CR and A7R V is also helpful information for us.

At the moment, we do not have a confirmed timeline for adding compatibility with the A7R VI. If there is any future compatibility update, we will publish the relevant information on our official website or social media channels.

Thank you very much for your understanding and continued support.

Best regards
Viltrox Team"



Aug 16, 2026 at 09:57 PM
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Viltrox 14mm and Sony A7RVI autofocus issues


adventure_photo wrote:
'We would like to clarify that the Viltrox AF 14mm F4 Air is currently not officially compatible with the Sony A7R VI.'


Let's hope the reverse-engineers are putting in overtime to sort this out.



Aug 16, 2026 at 10:14 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account