fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

  

Shade Break

  
 
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shade Break


A local hiking group taking a break from the Noontime heat.




  ILCE-7CM2    Viltrox 50mm F2.0 FE lens    50mm    f/8.0    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 16, 2026 at 01:25 PM
douter
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Shade Break


' Liking this one a lot, Jack, it has all the elements!
Douglas



Jul 17, 2026 at 06:12 AM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Shade Break


douter wrote:
' Liking this one a lot, Jack, it has all the elements!
Douglas


Thank you Douglas. I processed it out in both color and B&W. It works well for both, but they’re distinctly different.

I’ve been trying to emulate what I remember Tri-X processed at 320 looked like — I loved the clean, moderate contrast crispness it rendered. But I finally realized I will never get back there... Mainly because the lenses I have today are all orders of magnitude more optically perfect than anything I used back then and digital just doesn’t render like reversal film did; and hence the results are too clean or pure, almost sterile. Oh well, time to move on and embrace the new.



Jul 17, 2026 at 08:35 AM
photonoclast
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Shade Break


Jack Flesher wrote:
Thank you Douglas. I processed it out in both color and B&W. It works well for both, but they’re distinctly different.

I’ve been trying to emulate what I remember Tri-X processed at 320 looked like — I loved the clean, moderate contrast crispness it rendered. But I finally realized I will never get back there... Mainly because the lenses I have today are all orders of magnitude more optically perfect than anything I used back then and digital just doesn’t render like reversal film did; and hence the results are too clean or pure, almost sterile. Oh well, time
...Show more →


Very nice!!
Regarding Tri-x, there have been couple old threads where folks have mentioned strategies for emulating. One thing I occasionally do is to add a layer where I apply some Gaussian blur to just the highlights; this can emulate the halation that Tri-x could give especially to specular highlights. (+ another layer for grain, of course). It doesn't quite get there, but it's reasonably close.



Jul 17, 2026 at 11:03 AM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Shade Break


photonoclast wrote:
Very nice!!
Regarding Tri-x, there have been couple old threads where folks have mentioned strategies for emulating. One thing I occasionally do is to add a layer where I apply some Gaussian blur to just the highlights; this can emulate the halation that Tri-x could give especially to specular highlights. (+ another layer for grain, of course). It doesn't quite get there, but it's reasonably close.


Thank you, I appreciate your comment! I’ve tried multiple different halation techniques, even applied using a luminosity gradient, but unfortunately they leave me mostly unconvinced. A few of them do a good job of emulating a net diffusion filter though, and that’s sometimes useful.



Jul 17, 2026 at 12:23 PM







FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account