fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Views of El Capitan

  
 
Brev00
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Views of El Capitan


From a trip to Yosemite back in October of 2024. All freshly processed. Reviewing old sets is something I often do during downtimes in my photography here in Tulsa like in the current 90 degree plus summer days. It was raining when we stopped at the overlook and saw El Capitan for the first time. I could take only a handful of photos before retreating to the car. It was mostly clear the second day when we hiked above and beyond the valley but the day started off near freezing and a storm did approach later in the day. So, a mix of weather in those photos. The shots were taken with my Nikon D500 except for the last which was processed from a Google Pixel 9 Pro raw.





  NIKON D500    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON D500    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM lens    50mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    -2.0 EV  






  NIKON D500    100.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-6.3 lens    100mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  NIKON D500    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    42mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  NIKON D500    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM lens    26mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  Pixel 9 Pro    Pixel 9 Pro back camera 6.9mm f/1.7 lens    7mm    f/1.7    1/1100s    22 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 10, 2026 at 02:15 PM
junglialoh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Views of El Capitan


Stunning image set - well presented the beauty and majesty of Yosemite El Capitan
Enthralling image, especially 3rd BW photo



Jul 10, 2026 at 06:33 PM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Views of El Capitan


A set of jewels here. Brilliant stuff.


Jul 11, 2026 at 04:42 AM
Jim Dockery
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Views of El Capitan


Nice set. The B&W is classic.


Jul 12, 2026 at 10:05 AM
rdalvi5
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Views of El Capitan


love this


Jul 12, 2026 at 04:06 PM
Brev00
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Views of El Capitan


junglialoh wrote:
Stunning image set - well presented the beauty and majesty of Yosemite El Capitan
Enthralling image, especially 3rd BW photo


Thank you so much. I am glad you like them!

---------------------------------------------

guidostow wrote:
A set of jewels here. Brilliant stuff.


Thanks! I appreciate such a positive comment!

---------------------------------------------

Jim Dockery wrote:
Nice set. The B&W is classic.


Thanks! Glad you like that one. For whatever reason, I had not worked on that one since I took it unitl I decided to review the entire set a few days ago. I guess it is good that storage is cheap!
---------------------------------------------

rdalvi5 wrote:
love this


Thank you!




Jul 16, 2026 at 11:54 AM
Allynb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Views of El Capitan


Grand Photos. Are you a climber?


Jul 27, 2026 at 10:56 AM
Mark Metternich
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Views of El Capitan


Such a nice straight forward classic approach collection here Yosemite! Love the 1st and last best. Thank you for sharing them with us!


Jul 28, 2026 at 07:40 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Views of El Capitan


I know it is a bit of a cliche by now, but my favorite in this group is the last one, where the tiny figures at upper left give scale to this massive landscape. Glacier Point, I presume?


Jul 28, 2026 at 09:59 AM
Brev00
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Views of El Capitan


Allynb wrote:
Grand Photos. Are you a climber?


Thanks so much! And, no, not a climber. Not a camper, either.

---------------------------------------------

Mark Metternich wrote:
Such a nice straight forward classic approach collection here Yosemite! Love the 1st and last best. Thank you for sharing them with us!


Thank you! It is fun to share especially when I receive such nice feedback as I have here.

---------------------------------------------

gdanmitchell wrote:
I know it is a bit of a cliche by now, but my favorite in this group is the last one, where the tiny figures at upper left give scale to this massive landscape. Glacier Point, I presume?


Thank you. I am not such a believer in the idea that cliches are bad. If I really believed that, I would not have even tried to shoot at Yosemite, such an often visited and photographed place. I have run a Google search using a couple of my Yosemite photos and Google thinks my shots are some else's very similar images. And, yes, I love the compositional technique of including people in landscapes to give scale. Just lucky to have these folks standing there at that moment.



Jul 28, 2026 at 10:33 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Views of El Capitan


Brev00 wrote:
Thank you. I am not such a believer in the idea that cliches are bad. If I really believed that, I would not have even tried to shoot at Yosemite, such an often visited and photographed place. I have run a Google search using a couple of my Yosemite photos and Google thinks my shots are some else's very similar images. And, yes, I love the compositional technique of including people in landscapes to give scale. Just lucky to have these folks standing there at that moment.


:-)

And, hey, if you poke around enough, even in Yosemite Valley, it is still possible to make new and — believe it or not — unique photographs.

I’ve photographed there for decades and, yeah, I’ve photographed all of the icons at one time or another.Sometimes the conditions are special enough to shed a new light (literally) on an old favorite.

But it is pretty rewarding to go off into areas of the Valley that aren’t visited so much. There’s a lot to see there!



Jul 28, 2026 at 10:40 PM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Views of El Capitan


The B&W is the one for me.


Jul 28, 2026 at 11:16 PM
jm10_former
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Views of El Capitan


Nice set Brev! Your cell phone shot is the winner for me...thanks for posting.

jacob



Jul 29, 2026 at 12:14 AM
Brev00
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Views of El Capitan


Jeffrey wrote:
The B&W is the one for me.


Thanks, Jeffrey! So interesting how different folks react so differently to the same things. If I were a pro I would have to anticpate reactions to my images much better. I left this one unprocessed for so long.




Jul 29, 2026 at 12:53 PM
Brev00
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Views of El Capitan


jm10_former wrote:
Nice set Brev! Your cell phone shot is the winner for me...thanks for posting.

jacob


Thank you, Jim! I appreciate the love for my Pixel photo. I find that the phone serves me well in support of my dedicated camera gear but can also at times hold its own against it. The key for me is shooting raw as that avoids much of Google's overprocessing.




Jul 29, 2026 at 12:57 PM
bakihanma
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Views of El Capitan


i like the 2nd and last one, this place always is fun everytime i visit


Aug 10, 2026 at 08:45 AM







FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account