fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?

  
 
outdoorsben3
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


Anyone try these and have any good or bad feedback on them?


Jul 01, 2026 at 04:06 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


Love mine, have been suggesting the Tenba 10 for years for a very basic hiking rig. I regularly pack a 2-3 lens kit into the Tenba 13 as well.

Front half of this video, I walk through my basic bag for landscapes:




Jul 01, 2026 at 05:05 PM
Craig Gillette
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


I have a Tenba DNA backpack. It has a fitted insert, like the BYOBs. Works fine.


Jul 02, 2026 at 11:45 AM
rscheffler
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


I bought one of these years ago in a bundle with the packable bag when it was on sale at B&H. I found I used the padded insert in a number of my non-photo bags but that I rarely used the packable bag.

The padded insert is a pretty straightforward padded box with a couple dividers and a few pockets. Nothing fancy.

As an aside, I use Tenba's Tools line of 'tool boxes' a fair amount in my cases and large bags to keep small items together and from getting lost inside a large bag. The Tool Box 8 can pack 3x speedlites, for example. The Tool Box 6 a Leica M and some lenses. A Tool Box 4, 4 M lenses, etc, batteries, memory cards, cables, etc.



Jul 02, 2026 at 09:33 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


My BYOB inserts are likely first generation. They're more spartan than today's versions. I originally got them with a matching brief case style shoulder bag that expanded to fit both inserts. The outer bag itself still looked too much like a "camera bag" for my taste and I ended up using it more as a laptop bag until it disintegrated. The inserts are still in use. The skinny one works great for a single body and lens inside courier style bags. I much prefer a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. The wider BYOB insert fits in backpacks for carrying flashes and loose lenses.


Jul 04, 2026 at 10:56 AM
TN_nato
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


I’ve got the BYOB 10 and it’s stellar for shoving in a 28L backpack and setting off. It’s part of my travel kit now. I have a Tenba backpack but will sell it here soon bc I like the insert better.


Jul 10, 2026 at 10:01 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


Not very practical. Small kit only and the way the zipper is configured you have to take the insert out of the bag to use.


Jul 10, 2026 at 10:23 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

TN_nato
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


Agreed here that it’s inconvenient from an in-and-out approach. My approach is to get to the destination and pull out the cameras when I’m ready and leave them out until I’m done - don’t really need in-and-out with a bag.


Jul 11, 2026 at 01:31 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


TN_nato wrote:
Agreed here that it’s inconvenient from an in-and-out approach. My approach is to get to the destination and pull out the cameras when I’m ready and leave them out until I’m done - don’t really need in-and-out with a bag.


Same here. I might put away and take out my gear maybe a few times a day during travels. It’s the safe transport that I use an insert.



Jul 11, 2026 at 02:07 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


If it is just safe transport, there are many cheaper options. But the workmanship of the Tenba is indeed next level. Alas I almost never use mine because I have plenty other options for just storage and transport. Should probably put it up for sale but the shipping cost will make it difficult for this to make sense.


Jul 11, 2026 at 03:11 PM
gdanmitchell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


For some purposes, that Tenba bag (and other similar products) can be a good option. It all comes down to what compromises you want to make, along with your personal approach to photographing on the trail.

A small insert like that is great for situations where several factors are in play:

- You are doing some serious hiking, where typical photo backpacks either don’t do a great job of accommodating important non-photo gear (water, food, extra clothing, etc.), and/or…

- you need to go out with reduced photography equipment (fewer or a single lens and perhaps no typical landscape tripod).

There are some downsides:

- If you have a top-loading backpack, access can be problematic — put the camera insert on top and access to the non-photo gear is impaired. (Imagine having to quickly pull out raingear when that thundershower hits and it is beneath the camera insert, you lunch, extra water, and…)

- Inserts aren’t particularly flexible, at least not in the way that dedicated photo backpacks are, with their systems of movable dividers.

On the other hand, a photography-specific backpack can be a better option if:

- you need more gear, perhaps including a serious tripod, and…

- your hiking distances (and challenging terrain) are more limited — perhaps you are not hiking off—trail or going out for more than a half-dozen miles.

- Dedicated packs often have much better systems for carrying tripods. (You can do it with some non-photo packs, but it is often a serious kludge.)

They also have some downsides:

- While things have improved, harness systems on photography backpacks generally don’t match the best systems on non-photo packs.

- Because of protective padding, these packs tend to be a bit (sometimes a lot) stiff compared to regular internal frame packs.

- their capacity for that non-photo gear can be limited, both in the amount of extra space and by design.

Another option is to put individual pieces of photography equipment directly into the pack, enclosed in individual protection — for example, things like padded lens sleeves and smaller camera-sized bags. There are pluses:

- Loading is very flexible. For example, you might put a rarely used lens at the bottom of the pack, and the camera with the most used lens at the top. Unlike larger rectangular inserts, the individually packed items are smaller and fit into odd spaces.

Minuses:

- Since each item is packed individually, the sum of the padded material can be large.

- Gear may hot all be in one place.

Another useful option that I’ve used in the backcountry is a chest-harness camera pack. (I use a larger one from Lowepro.) Pluses:

- Camera with lens attached is immediately accessible without removing the pack. Depending on the gear and the pack, you may be ale to include a second ens in the pack, along with a few other small accessories.

- In camp, the chest harness will work on its own (unlike an insert) in the field, either chest mounted or, with some designs, slung over the shoulder.

Minuses:

- A large chest harness pack in front of you can impede your visibility of the ground in difficult class 3 and higher terrain. (I learned to look around mine, but it still can be an issue.)

- You’ll still have to remove the pack to get at a tripod.

- You are going to seat under it!

The right answer? It depends. I’ve used a camera and single zoom lens for weeklong backcountry trips using just the chest pack. I use a day pack with individually packed items for many local hikes. I’ve used inserts for travel, along with a daypack. I’ve used a regular photo pack (from Lowe and from Mindshift) to card larger amounts of gear into the backcountry. Unless you do just one sort of landscape or other trail travel, there’s a good chance that you’ll want more than one option.

ONe thing I’ve learned after doing all of that for years is… that no one solution is always the best one!



Jul 11, 2026 at 04:35 PM
nguyenhm16
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


My local camera store didn’t have the specific BYOB insert I wanted, so I bought this on Amazon as a stopgap, but turns out it was fine for what I needed it for (small camera and an extra lens or two for casual weekend trip, etc.) so I never ended up getting the BYOB insert:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0GCJB1Y33



Jul 16, 2026 at 09:52 AM
keeper708
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Anyone try the Tenba BYOB inserts?


I love mine, but I don’t use them as a carry option when I’m actually out taking pictures. I don’t have a camera-specific backpack when I travel, so there isn’t any built in padding. Depending on how much I’m bringing on a trip, I use the BYOB 10 or 9 to fit my cameras and lenses into my backpack that’s my personal item on the plane.

It’s great for that - they have enough padding that I’m never worried about it in my bag and they’re pretty small, all things considered. My backpack is an 18L bag and it fits both sizes of the BYOB with plenty of room to spare.



Jul 28, 2026 at 01:34 AM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account