They got me. I ordered two of the 11' stands. I'm currently using two 13' Air-Cushioned Impact stands. I really like how they "clip" together for storage/travel. It looks like they are quick to setup/adjust.
I generally have loved their products and hope this is another that I do.
I missed the kickstarter but am seeing they are now coming soon on B&H. From everything I've seen, I am impressed and could replace my two cheetahstand auto stands on wedding days. They would typically hold AD600s with a simple reflector, but I do occasionally add a 36" parabolic but never all the way up with modifiers. Just wondering if they are worth the investment?
I am a bit skeptical of their design and material choices. The leg collar looks to be made of plastic and not one reviewer has commented on its made of. I also do not like the notched rings for height adjustment, its gimmicky and no other light stand in the photo or cinema world uses this approach. I have Manfrotto stands that are 45 years old and have zero issues, buy once cry once but quality is a lifetime investment.
Be advised, they don't auto drop so you'll need two hands to set them up. This Magmod ambassador has his take on it, not a fan.
JBPhotog wrote:
I am a bit skeptical of their design and material choices. The leg collar looks to be made of plastic and not one reviewer has commented on its made of. I also do not like the notched rings for height adjustment, its gimmicky and no other light stand in the photo or cinema world uses this approach. I have Manfrotto stands that are 45 years old and have zero issues, buy once cry once but quality is a lifetime investment.
Totally agree.
I'm a fan of these Manfrotto stands. Available in four sizes. They fold 'flat' and clip together in a stack for easy transport. And...they cost less than the MagMod.
Those new stacking Manfrotto's are the replacement models for the three Art: 004 Master Stands I bought 45 years ago. In 1988 I bought 7 more black ones and all have been solid since day one.
I handled one for about 30 seconds yesterday that another photog was setting up... My thought was a little bulky & seemed heavy? I use the 12ft Manfrotto stacker series. I should have played with it a bit more before I left but totally forgot...