fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
  

Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available

  
 
John Straus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


I wait a month for others to try it out before upgrading... Just like any computer OS update...


Jun 13, 2026 at 10:34 PM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


John Straus wrote:
I wait a month for others to try it out before upgrading... Just like any computer OS update...


It was a good idea to wait a month.
Version 1.3.1 has been released one month after version 1.3.

You can use this new feature with confidence now:
“Added the ability to assign Pre-continuous Shooting to customizable shooting buttons.”



Jun 14, 2026 at 03:10 AM
Carlo_M
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


tomba8tomba wrote:
It was a good idea to wait a month.
Version 1.3.1 has been released one month after version 1.3


But then doesn't the one month counter re-start again?



Jun 16, 2026 at 09:34 AM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


Carlo_M wrote:
…
But then doesn't the one month counter re-start again?


The month is over, and everything is still fine 😬



Jul 07, 2026 at 09:26 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


I'm thinking about updating mine soon.

EBH



Aug 25, 2026 at 04:34 PM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


EB-1 wrote:
I'm thinking about updating mine soon.

EBH


Are you really sure?



Aug 25, 2026 at 04:49 PM
vbnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


EB-1 wrote:
I'm thinking about updating mine soon.

EBH


Thanks for the reminder. I'm still on 1.1.1 and should probably update soon so I have time to adjust to the new features before my mid-October trip.



Aug 25, 2026 at 11:24 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


That's always the problem. If I wait until a few days before leaving, I'm afraid some freak of nature will brick it so I don't update.

EBH



Aug 25, 2026 at 11:53 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


"If it aint broke, dont fix it!" against "The Fear of Missing Out". But wait, its 3D! What if I find that 1.1.1-bug in the middle of The Best Shoot of My Life? To do or not to do... I think I´ll wait for the 2.0.1!


Aug 26, 2026 at 01:37 AM
gossamer88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


I got the R5ii from FM seller and it arrived with FW 1.20...I immediately updated to 1.31 specifically for this feature...Adds the ability to assign [Pre‑continuous Shooting] to [Customize buttons for shooting].

https://blog.jeffcable.com/2026/07/canons-firmware-update-13-adds-big-new.html



Aug 26, 2026 at 09:25 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

kylebarendrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


gossamer88 wrote:
I got the R5ii from FM seller and it arrived with FW 1.20...I immediately updated to 1.31 specifically for this feature...Adds the ability to assign [Pre‑continuous Shooting] to [Customize buttons for shooting].

https://blog.jeffcable.com/2026/07/canons-firmware-update-13-adds-big-new.html


I upgraded mine before my recent trip to Africa for just that reason. I had no issues for 5k+ photos.



Aug 26, 2026 at 12:25 PM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


gossamer88 wrote:
.I immediately updated to 1.31 specifically for this feature...Adds the ability to assign [Pre‑continuous Shooting] to [Customize buttons for shooting].


👍 that’s why I updated to 1.3.1 (including the bug fixes for 1.3) already June 14th.




Aug 26, 2026 at 05:31 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


What button is used to toggle the pre-continous on and off with the new FW?

EBH



Aug 26, 2026 at 05:39 PM
kylebarendrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


You can assign it to any button you want

EB-1 wrote:
What button is used to toggle the pre-continous on and off with the new FW?

EBH




Aug 26, 2026 at 06:23 PM
gossamer88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


kylebarendrick wrote:
You can assign it to any button you want


I chose the same button Jeff Cable chose...the Light button that is next to the LCD.



Aug 26, 2026 at 06:57 PM
kylebarendrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


gossamer88 wrote:
I chose the same button Jeff Cable chose...the Light button that is next to the LCD.


I use the M Fn button next to the shutter. Easier for me to find.



Aug 27, 2026 at 12:13 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


kylebarendrick wrote:
I use the M Fn button next to the shutter. Easier for me to find.


When it's assigned to the M Fn button, is that the only function the button will do, or are you able to add precapture to the list of options available as one of the M Fn settings? I currently have M Fn set up to toggle between ISO, drive modes and AF point options. I would consider adding precapture to these, rather than replacing them. But if that's not possible, I'd probably assign it to the LCD light button as that's about the only one in relatively easy reach that hasn't been reconfigured with an essential function.



Aug 27, 2026 at 03:00 PM
kylebarendrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


rscheffler wrote:
When it's assigned to the M Fn button, is that the only function the button will do, or are you able to add precapture to the list of options available as one of the M Fn settings? I currently have M Fn set up to toggle between ISO, drive modes and AF point options. I would consider adding precapture to these, rather than replacing them. But if that's not possible, I'd probably assign it to the LCD light button as that's about the only one in relatively easy reach that hasn't been reconfigured with an essential function.


I don't know, since I never actually used the M Fn button for anything else. I assign ISO to the back wheel and have three back-buttons set to autofocus in the different modes that I use.



Aug 27, 2026 at 03:37 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


Is it safe to update now. No newly discovered bugs


Aug 29, 2026 at 11:55 AM
RF_780
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · Canon R5 II Firmware 1.3.1 Available


I have a new R5 II and it shipped with 1.3.0. I've had the following happen in the 7 days I've been using it. New, high quality SD cards that seem to work well for others and worked well on my original R5.

1. First time I attempted to take a video I got an "Error 70" and had to remove the battery to get the camera to respond again. RF70-200 2.8 Lens, fresh battery. That has not happened again though but it was troubling since it was my first day out with the camera.

2. Ever since I took my first video, if the camera is in photo mode, if I hit the view button to view photos on the LCD I get this message: "MODE Movie <---> Still switching". I have no idea why but it stays up for a few seconds which is longer than you want if you are in a hurry. I have reformatted the SD cards and have turned the camera on and off, reset battery etc. It still persists regardless of how long the camera is in photo mode.

3. One video I took would not show up in-camera. I thought it had glitched and that I had lost the video. However, I was able to download the video and it was fine.

In my week of shooting grizzlies and the occasional wolf, I was able to take about 2000 successful shots and several videos with the camera so it is reliable overall but I didn't have as many strange things happen with the R5. Granted, when I bought my R5 the FW was well along. Loving the pre-capture and higher frame rate for catching animal activity.

Thinking of going to 1.3.1 since it seems to fix some things.



Sep 03, 2026 at 11:41 PM
1              3       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account