snegron7 wrote:
Posted this on the "Trip
Location Advice & Meetup" forum as well.
Planning a trip to Tokyo in a few months, and I'm not sure what gear to take since I've never been there. I'll be traveling with my adult kid who "tolerates" photography, unlike myself who absolutely loves photography. My kid agreed to bring along one of my cameras, providing it wasn't too heavy. I have a couple of options I'm considering
My current equipment (these are the cameras and lenses I currently own, and I have no desire/interest in either purchasing or renting anything that is NOT on my list):
Cameras:
- Canon R6II
- Canon 7dmk2
- Sony A7c
- Sony A7iv
- OM System OM-5
Lenses for my Canon cameras:
- RF 16mm f2.8 STM
- RF 24mm f1.8 Macro
- RF 28mm f2.8 STM
- RF 35mm f1.8 Macro
- RF 50mm f1.8 STM
- RF 16-28mm f2.8 STM
- RF 24-240mm f4-6.3
- Three Canon EF to RF Adapters
- EF 28mm f1.8 USM
- EF 50mm f1.8 STM
- EF 85mm f1.8 USM
- EF 100mm f2.8L
- EF 300mm f4.0L
- EF 17-40mm f4.0L
- EF 70-200mm f2.8L
- EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 USM
- EF-S 10-18mm f4.5/5.6 STM
- Pan/Leica 9mm f1.7
- Panasonic 17mm f2.5
- Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2
- OM System 45-150mm f4 Pro
- Olympus 30mm f3.5 Macro
- Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro
Here are the choices I've been considering. Please feel free to modify or suggest alternatives:
A) A7iv for me, A7c for the kid. Both cameras share the same batteries/chargers, so less things we need to pack. Only have 3 lenses, so I'd take all 3. Kid gets the A7c with Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 attatched but can borrow my other two lenses if needed.
B) R6II for me, OM-5 for kid. Not sure what lenses I take because I'm really not a fan of the distorted results I get with my RF zooms. Kid would get the OM-5 with Pan/Leica 9mm f1.7, Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8, and 45-150mm f4 Pro. Not sure if kid would love carrying all that gear though.
C) R6II for me, 7dmk2 for kid. I'd probably just bring my EF lenses as they perform better than my RF lenses (and yes, my EF 17-40mm f4.0L is one of those rare, sharp copies). Both cameras use the same batteries/charger, lenses easily swapped if I'm using the EF/RF adapter on my R6II. Downside is that my kid would hate the 7dmk2 because it's so heavy.
D) Insert your alternative recommendation here....Show more →
I’d go with A. A7IV + 28-200 for you and A7C + 20-40 for your kid. Great coverage, minimal lens swapping, shared batteries, and the A7C setup stays relatively light.
snegron7 wrote:
Thank you!!! Fujiya is now at the top of my list! Regarding used equipment, I'm looking for old Canon FD lenses and maybe an old Olympus or Pentax film body. The bulk of my shopping quest (hopefully) will be for new and used watches that are available for the Japan market only (JDM). My kid will be shopping for anime stuff (I have no clue what in particular).
Thanks for the advice on the Suica card. I don't have an iPhone, so I'll end up buying the physical card. I'll make sure to empty it out before I leave, as I've heard you can't get cash back and it only lasts 28 days.
On another note, I've been debating if I should buy a Sony 24-105mm f4.0 to substitute my Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6. That's if I go with my A7iv instead of my R6II. Problem is I've had bad luck with Sony lenses in the past; many have had decentering issues. Also, I don't know if I'd like the idea of being limited to f4.0 on the wide end. ...Show more →
I've been to Tokyo four times in the last three years mainly hitting the big tourist spots. I personally have gone with the 14GM, 28-200 and 35GM. I only used the 14 for Shibuya crossing. Everything else I took the 28-200, 35GM or both. I never felt the need to go "slightly wider". But man I would have missed a ton of shots with a 24-105. You also mentioned that you were surprised that the 28-200 outperformed the RF24-240. That lines up with reviews that regularly have found that the 28-200 in additional to objectively being faster is much sharper at the same focal lengths compared to the native offerings by Sony, Canon and Nikon.
Good hotel?
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International. Close to a few train stations amd pretty nice for the price.
RacingManiac wrote:
Unlike a lot of people I am actually fine with Japanese style small business hotel(solo traveler here, but I am also not on the short end at 5' 11"), and also fine with mostly in big cities but I have been many times. I actually quite appreciate the modular bathroom they got with a deep tub. I use that quite a bit especially after days of 35k+ steps. But I also never visit during middle of summer(fall is a favorite, but I've done early summer post-Golden Week and it was fine also.
I also think people if people read too much before their first trip they might miss out on things. Its fashionable to tell people to skip the "main things"(golden route, popular sights, etc), but there are reasons why they are popular. I think for most their first trip doing the "normal" things is fine. I am going on my 8th trip to Japan in Nov and I'll be more selective on where I go. ...Show more →
I took the wrong train today and ended up walking around a neighborhood on the outskirts of Tokyo. I wanted to explore it, but my kid was upset for being lost, so I missed the opportunity. If I ever come back to Tokyo I'd look for a neighborhood like that to stay at!! I can see myself exploring that area and grabbing a ton of pictures!
My wife is Japanese and her brother lives there and knows a lot of the good spots, so I’m kind of spoiled, but still:
- we used to stay with her brother in Tokyo, but after both our families got bigger, we stayed mostly in small houses/apartments in Tokyo or Kyoto. These could already be found before AirBNB existed. Very nice solutions generally, though of course small from a US perspective;
- 7/11, Lawson and the like have only provided great experiences and made shopping for breakfast food easy;
- it’s indeed a pain that you’re not supposed to eat in public in the street, esp when the basements of the department stores have such great take out selections;
- check out Hands, formerly Tokyu Hands, for an interesting store experience (though no watches or cameras);
- I’ve never bought a used camera or lens IN Japan (though plenty FROM Japan online); new prices depend a lot on the prevailing exchange rate and the VAT exemption;
- being in Japan this time of the year is tough; when we were there in the summer, I drank tons of water and constantly kept a wet bandana around my neck to survive outside;
- I’ve always preferred my MFT gear in Japan, but have used Leica Q and M as well. Still prefer MFT for future trips;
- Tokyo is great for shooting at dusk.
7-11s in Japan are absolutely amazing, and like most things, put the American version to shame. Prices are far better than the states for most shops, between the exchange rate and tax free. That being said, if you go for generic mass market name brands, in hypertourist areas like shinjuku and shibuya, of course prices will not be good.
Going only to Tokyo, and then to shibuya and shinjuku, is not the way. There are amazing things in the country, and there is so, so much more to japan(and getting good deals) than the lazy hypertourist path of tokyo/kyoto/osaka. But even within them, there can be deals- I found some fantastic watches in kyoto. And the sony macro 100 was a great deal compared to the states back in the fall, just at normal price. It will never be in shinjuku or shibuya, which you want to avoid like the plague really.
snegron7 wrote:
I took the wrong train today and ended up walking around a neighborhood on the outskirts of Tokyo. I wanted to explore it, but my kid was upset for being lost, so I missed the opportunity. If I ever come back to Tokyo I'd look for a neighborhood like that to stay at!! I can see myself exploring that area and grabbing a ton of pictures!
I love doing this on trips - just pick a random area of a city and wander around. Tokyo is great for this as you go in and out of commercial and residential areas relatively quickly. It's not like the USA/Canada where you can be in suburban cookie cutter hell for miles and miles. Houses in Japan are so diverse and interesting to look at, too. While hitting the tourist hotspots in Kyoto, this was actually my favorite part of Kyoto - walking through the 'regular' neighborhoods on the way to/from the overcrowded tourist spots. Just so many interesting and quirky nooks and crannies to explore, and even better if they're a little unkempt, which yes, does exist in Japan. This is also true for Taiwan. For sure some of the uniqueness is simply from not having seen it much before, so it catches the eye. But that's a reason why one travels, isn't it?
Last day in Japan. I ended up leaving my R6II with my RF 24-105mm f4.0L and RF 16-28mm f2.8 STM at the hotel the last 3 days and brought my OM-5 with Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2 everywhere. Day before yesterday I visited Disney Sea with my kid and it rained all day & night. I'm so glad I had that OM-5 during that rainy day!
If I were to visit Japan again some day, I would take the lightest gear possible. Yes, full frame is great for low light capture, but it really isn't worth lugging around the extra weight all day. I might look into fujifilm gear for something like this because APS-C is that middle spot between a heavy full frame system and the tiny micro four thirds system.
I guess you heard or read about the flooding in Chiba? From that rain. Looks like flights are all back online and you'll be able to get home.
As for gear: take whatever makes you happy. For my Japan trip I was fine with FF, 28-70/2 and 70-200/2.8 and generally glad I had it with me, at least when I was immersed in photography. The physical burden of carrying it during off times was the necessary tradeoff.
m43 vs. APS-C in your case probably won't make a difference and you already have the m43 gear, so why add a third sensor format? It'll always be stuck between the m43 and FF extremes. If indeed the Fuji bodies and lenses are similar in size to the overall m43 options, then I'd say pick one of the two, but not both.
rscheffler wrote:
I guess you heard or read about the flooding in Chiba? From that rain. Looks like flights are all back online and you'll be able to get home.
As for gear: take whatever makes you happy. For my Japan trip I was fine with FF, 28-70/2 and 70-200/2.8 and generally glad I had it with me, at least when I was immersed in photography. The physical burden of carrying it during off times was the necessary tradeoff.
m43 vs. APS-C in your case probably won't make a difference and you already have the m43 gear, so why add a third sensor format? It'll always be stuck between the m43 and FF extremes. If indeed the Fuji bodies and lenses are similar in size to the overall m43 options, then I'd say pick one of the two, but not both. ...Show more →
Thanks! I was supposed to fly out today, but 30 minutes into the flight there was a medical emergency onboard. A passenger sitting next to me went onto cardiac arrest. Plane had to turn around and return to Tokyo. Plane made a hard landing and damaged its brakes. They had to send shuttle busses out to the landing strip area to bring us back to the terminal. So, I'm stuck here for another day.
Ive been to Tokyo 4-5 times and have 2 more trips planned there this year still. I shoot the R5 and take 3 lens' 15-35, 70-200 and the 24-240. 90+% of my shots are taken with the 24-240. Its a perfect travel lens!
Last day in Japan. I ended up leaving my R6II with my RF 24-105mm f4.0L and RF 16-28mm f2.8 STM at the hotel the last 3 days and brought my OM-5 with Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2 everywhere. Day before yesterday I visited Disney Sea with my kid and it rained all day & night. I'm so glad I had that OM-5 during that rainy day!
If I were to visit Japan again some day, I would take the lightest gear possible. Yes, full frame is great for low light capture, but it really isn't worth lugging around the extra weight all day. I might look into fujifilm gear for something like this because APS-C is that middle spot between a heavy full frame system and the tiny micro four thirds system. ...Show more →
I really think your middle ground is full frame with lighter lenses. You might not even need an A7C series camera - all the current generations of A7, R, A1 and A9 are noticeably lighter than Canon. Then pick your sub-religion:
20-70G, 25-200, 20-200 or 28-200 (my face) and you have a one lens solution that you can proseletyze about here on FM. The 24-240s from the big three FF makers are garbage compare to the four choices listed. They are particularly brilliant when paired with a 33MP or higher body. I said sub-religion because the big religion is getting on the Sony bandwagon. Note that of those four lenses, only the 28-200 is on Nikon. And Nikon bodies are big. The 20-70 never will be and it doesn't seem that Sigma will be anytime soon. Maybe Nikon will get the 25-200, but you can't now and it doesn't change the porkiness of the bodies.
Like many acolytes, I get worked up easy. There is a great one lens travel solution that a superb blend of focal length, speed and image quality. I can't tell you which lens, but I can tell you the body has to be Sony 😉 Like many here, I'm a dozen lenses deep into e-mount, but the number one thing that makes me stay is the 28-200.