fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
  

Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?

  
 
JD07
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
Posted this on the "Trip
Location Advice & Meetup" forum as well.

Planning a trip to Tokyo in a few months, and I'm not sure what gear to take since I've never been there. I'll be traveling with my adult kid who "tolerates" photography, unlike myself who absolutely loves photography. My kid agreed to bring along one of my cameras, providing it wasn't too heavy. I have a couple of options I'm considering

My current equipment (these are the cameras and lenses I currently own, and I have no desire/interest in either purchasing or renting anything that is NOT on my list):

Cameras:

- Canon
...Show more →

EDIT: Sorry, please ignore. I just re-read the OP and noticed the part about having no desire to buy any new gear.

My 2 cents ... for the trip you have described, I'd go for an option D. I'd take the A7IV + A7c + Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 + Tamron 28-200mm + (if you can be persuaded to add a lens) a Sony ZA 55mm f/1.8 or Sigma AF 45mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 or f/2 of some kind. (For the trip you have described and given the other gear you would have with you, personally I would not bother taking Tamron 17-28mm but obviously you could take it too if you think you would use it enough.) That would be two full frame bodies which share lenses, batteries and chargers, it would be a relatively small and light overall kit (as these things go / for what it covers), it would give your kid a chance to try out a few different things (eg reasonably wide focal length, reasonably long focal length, reasonably wide aperture) if your kid gets into it, and if your kid doesn't get into it you could still use of all of the lenses yourself so the only "extra" thing you would end up having to haul around is an extra/backup camera body. I would expect your kid would mainly use the 20-40mm and/or the prime lens, but you could see how things panned out.

As for which of you gets the A7IV and which of you gets the A7c, you two would have to decide that! I understand the temptation to say your kid isn't into cameras so should use the A7c because it is the smaller and lighter of the two bodies. There are other factors too though, of course, eg viewfinder experience and ergonomics / controls, to consider. I don't take it for granted that someone just getting started would necessarily prefer the A7c. I think a lot would come down to personal preference.

Whatever gear you take, have a great trip. (And apologies for suggesting an option which involves buying a new lens, but in the context of the trip perhaps it is worth thinking about, especially if you could find one second-hand.)



Apr 27, 2026 at 06:43 AM
JD07
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
Yesterday I went out with the two "runner up" camera outfits meant for my kid to use;

- Sony A7c with Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 and Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6.

- OM System OM-5 with Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2 and Olympus 45-150mm f4 Pro.

In terms of focal length, these two kits are somewhat similar. Here is a link to the images I shot with both outfits yesterday:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195506119@N07/uYTfwr272X

In the gallery, the first image will be the A7c, the image following it will be from the OM-5. This makes it easier for a side by side comparison. All images sooc, no editing whatsoever
...Show more →

FWIW I prefer the A7c images ... but I think the real question is which of the two setups your kid prefers to use, ie prefers the shooting experience. (If you are taking Canon gear for you and you end up taking the A7c for your kid, based on what you have said I can see your kid using the Tamron 20-40mm most if not all of the time, and the 28-200mm just sitting in the bag. I would happy to be wrong about that though.)



Apr 27, 2026 at 07:12 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
Yesterday I went out with the two "runner up" camera outfits meant for my kid to use;

- Sony A7c with Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 and Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6.

- OM System OM-5 with Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2 and Olympus 45-150mm f4 Pro.

In terms of focal length, these two kits are somewhat similar. Here is a link to the images I shot with both outfits yesterday:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195506119@N07/uYTfwr272X

In the gallery, the first image will be the A7c, the image following it will be from the OM-5. This makes it easier for a side by side comparison. All images sooc, no editing whatsoever
...Show more →

I'm back from Taiwan and Japan. I found I used both the 28-70 and 70-200 a fair amount, especially in Japan. I also picked up the 20/1.4 VCM while there, as it was on the wish list and fills a UWA/WA gap. But as in any travel situation, it really depends on what you come across at any given moment. An earlier comment that a lens like a 28-200 won't get any use in Tokyo, implying there is little use/need for telephoto, would in my case at least, be false.

There were situations on 'shopping priority days' rather than 'sightseeing priority days' when hauling around that kit, frequently unused, became a drag. Here the M system would have been a better, more compact choice. But I was a bit reluctant to give up the flexibility of the Canon kit and still brought it with me on days when I knew I would not be doing a lot of sightseeing.

With respect to what to bring for your kid, I would prioritize smaller size and lower weight instead of splitting hairs over image quality differences. IMO the OM-5 with 12-35 will be a better 'general use' combo than either the 20-40 or 28-200 on the Sony. The 20-40 leans IMO too far UWA. And while the 28-200 is a 'do everything' lens, it's large (in the eyes of a non-photo enthusiast like your kid).

Otherwise, I used my phone a lot to shoot videos photos alongside my 'real' gear to quickly share with friends/family.

There are a lot of tourists in Japan, particularly in popular areas. I saw a fair amount of gear being used that was all over the map and it was interesting to see vloggers working 'in the wild' in very touristy areas. The one item I have been on the fence about getting and would have liked to have had with me, was the DJI Osmo Pocket 3. I actually brought along my smartphone gimbal, but never ended up using it because it was just bulky enough not to easily fit in my daily carry bag along with my 'real' camera gear. The Osmo 3 would have been slim enough to fit.

Regarding visiting photo stores: Yodobashi is insane with respect to what they have on display to try. Virtually all the lenses, excluding some super-teles, from every manufacturer that you can try on your own camera. I visited the Yokohama store and they even had an RF 1200/5.6 on display (mind you, with an R10 body on it). It's a great place to start just for the 'wow' factor/experience. But with respect to better pricing, I found that Fujiya Camera in Nakano was a very good experience (it's where I got the 20/1.4) and is located in a neat area with a lot small side streets/alleys with good restaurant options and otherwise just visually interesting. Map Camera and Kitamura generally have the same/similar pricing to Fujiya while Yodobashi/Bic are a bit higher. While in Kyoto I visited a store very similar to Yodobashi/Bic, though on a smaller scale, and was able to haggle over price to more closely match Fujiya, though in the end I decided to wait until I could visit Fujiya. So it's possible that you may be able to do the same at Yodobashi. Another cool camera store is Sakuraya at the Ogikubo Station stop, just west of Fujiya/Nakano Station on the same line. It's a small shop but they had virtually everything and even some lenses that were out of stock elsewhere (i.e. Canon 14/1.4 VCM, Voigtlander VM 28/2 APO) with prices in-line with Fujiya/Map/Kitamura and sometimes even slightly less.



May 08, 2026 at 09:43 AM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?




rscheffler wrote:
I'm back from Taiwan and Japan. I found I used both the 28-70 and 70-200 a fair amount, especially in Japan. I also picked up the 20/1.4 VCM while there, as it was on the wish list and fills a UWA/WA gap. But as in any travel situation, it really depends on what you come across at any given moment. An earlier comment that a lens like a 28-200 won't get any use in Tokyo, implying there is little use/need for telephoto, would in my case at least, be false.

There were situations on 'shopping priority days' rather than 'sightseeing
...Show more →


Thank you so much for all this detailed info!!! I really appreciate the shopping location tips, as I'll be looking for used gear while I'm there. Also at the top of my list are JDM watches as well.

Was 28mm wide enough for you, or did you find yourself needing something wider (prior to buying your 20mm)? I'm still flip-flopping between taking either the R6II with the RF 16-28 F2.8 + RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 or the Sony a7iv with Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 + Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6. A recent "test" I did this week between these two outfits revealed starting info for me; my Sony A7iv with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 outperformed my Canon R6II with RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 by quite a decent margin. It tilted my inclination to bring my A7iv with the two Tamron lenses on this trip. If I did that, then giving my kid the A7c with the Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 would be easier because we'd share the same batteries, chargers and lenses. I would set the A7c to Program mode to turn it into a point & shoot for my kid. Two drawbacks with that are the larger weight/size compared to my OM-5, and the fiddly exposure compensation dial on the top of the A7c. I can guarantee with 110% certainty that my kid will be continually inadvertently moving the exposure compensation dial then complaining that the images are either too dark or too light.

On another note, I still haven't booked a hotel. I'm looking for one near a train station, not in a seedy tourist area, and that has two beds and access to a coin laundry. Also, I'd like to find one that charges by the room, not by the person.

On a positive note, I purchased a Vasco v4 translator for tjis trip. I can't rely on Google translate, so I thought this might be a decent alternative. So far it has been ok. Not sure how well it will perform in "real life" conversations though.



May 08, 2026 at 10:17 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


I like 28mm and generally haven't found it limiting. Of course there are situations where an UWA would be preferable, but it was my choice not to worry about that. Similar to when I work with my M system and a set number of lenses. But my approach during this trip was often more about focusing on details within a scene rather than capturing a massive UWA view.

I used the 20mm most on the day I got it, in part to try it out and make sure everything was OK, which it was. I do like UWA and it can be fun. I used to be more heavily into UWA work, but have kind of swung away from that the last few years.

I'd still bring the OM-5 kit for your kid because it's smaller and theoretically less reason for it to be left behind. I wouldn't split hairs over image quality too much and just bring what you feel most comfortable using.

Something I noticed about used gear in Japan is that it's often not priced considerably lower than new. Therefore, IMO, if it's an item currently available as new, I would prefer to buy it new because you just don't know the history of a used item. If it's something older, then obviously used is the only option. For this I would consider stores like Fujiya, Map and Kitamura over Yodobashi (which is only new stock). With Map Camera, I believe a lot of their used inventory is now online-only, meaning staff at the store do not have physical access to it. Fujiya's online used listings are all physically present in their store, from my understanding. Kitamura had a lot of used inventory, too.

I'm not familiar with standalone translation devices. I used Google Translate a few times for communicating with store staff via written exchanges. It can do voice as well, but can be a little hit or miss if it's in a busy environment. In Tokyo and Kyoto there is enough English signage for you to get by and many store staff have some basic English ability. Transit too generally has sufficient English signage. On station platforms the departure boards typically alternate between Japanese and English though it helps to confirm details using the transit function of Google Maps, as an example, to double check it's actually the train you want. Once on board, newer trains have screens above the doors with information that alternates between Japanese and English (and/or also Chinese/Korean) about upcoming stops, where stairs, elevators and escalators are at each stop relative to the car you are in, as well as which side the door will be opening. Plus audio announcements in Japanese and English with similar information. However, there were some lines operating older trains that lacked non-Japanese options. Using Google Maps to plan your transit trips will also inform you about transfers, if necessary, potentially which station exits to use, trip costs, etc. As an Apple iPhone user, I added the Suica card to my Apple Wallet and it worked seamlessly by simply tapping the phone on the "IC" reader at the entry/exit gates. Otherwise, you can get the physical card but then have to use the terminals/kiosks to refill it. In Tokyo some trains operate women-only cars during the morning rush hour service (until about 9:30 am), which you will want to keep an eye out for. There should be signage on the platform about this (possibly on the floor or on the gates). Some lines also operate reserved seating on one or two cars, which was the case on the line I took to get to Fujiya Camera at Nakano. This was indicated by a green four-leaf clover symbol and the cars were double-deckers whereas the rest of the train were single level, so it was visually obvious.

We stayed with friends in Tokyo so I can't speak to the hotel options there. In Kyoto my wife booked a hotel near City Hall (Oakwood Hotel Oike Kyoto), which was a few stops along one subway line from Kyoto main station, but was still a reasonable distance from transit options. I don't recall if it was a per-person cost but it was still quite reasonable at under 40,000 Yen for three nights during Golden Week (though we did book it early). The room was not huge with two single beds and a washroom/shower, but the hotel was very clean, modern and nicely managed. Just from walking around there seemed to be many of those kinds of hotel options in that area (there are tons of tourists in Kyoto). I also saw at least one coin laundry in the area, so those should be generally available.

Food/restaurants were generally good/very good. We never resorted to franchise fast-food restaurants. Just go by Google reviews and you should be good. Many places have English menus and a lot of restaurants use a QR code ordering system that launch the menu on your phone, through which you place your order with minimal staff interaction. Ramen and skewer type restaurants, as well as others, you should be able to do decent meals for two in the JPY 3,000 range. Department stores, either in basement 'food hall' areas or on the upper floors (for sit-down meals), also can have a lot of good options. And if you are there near closing, the prepared foods areas (usually in the basement) will offer end of day discounts. Same was true in the supermarket near our friends' place in Tokyo, where we could pick up late night snacks for 50% off (sushi and/or deep-fried items). Something to keep in mind though, is that some restaurants will be cash only. Or they take PayPay app payment, which is kind of like debit card payment. So you will want to have some cash on hand. You can also use your Suica card (real or virtual) to pay for items at convenience stores, for example.

The amount of shopping options in Tokyo is just mind bogglingly enormous. If you end up at one of the observation decks at the top of a skyscraper, or one of the towers, you'll come to appreciate just how physically expansive Tokyo is. It's unreal. The amount of infrastructure and the fact that it all functions normally (most of the time) is insane.



May 08, 2026 at 11:37 AM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?




rscheffler wrote:
I like 28mm and generally haven't found it limiting. Of course there are situations where an UWA would be preferable, but it was my choice not to worry about that. Similar to when I work with my M system and a set number of lenses. But my approach during this trip was often more about focusing on details within a scene rather than capturing a massive UWA view.

I used the 20mm most on the day I got it, in part to try it out and make sure everything was OK, which it was. I do like UWA and it can
...Show more →

Thank you!!! Fujiya is now at the top of my list! Regarding used equipment, I'm looking for old Canon FD lenses and maybe an old Olympus or Pentax film body. The bulk of my shopping quest (hopefully) will be for new and used watches that are available for the Japan market only (JDM). My kid will be shopping for anime stuff (I have no clue what in particular).

Thanks for the advice on the Suica card. I don't have an iPhone, so I'll end up buying the physical card. I'll make sure to empty it out before I leave, as I've heard you can't get cash back and it only lasts 28 days.

On another note, I've been debating if I should buy a Sony 24-105mm f4.0 to substitute my Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6. That's if I go with my A7iv instead of my R6II. Problem is I've had bad luck with Sony lenses in the past; many have had decentering issues. Also, I don't know if I'd like the idea of being limited to f4.0 on the wide end.



May 08, 2026 at 11:59 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


There are two different Suica cards. You're referring to the 'Welcome' (red) card. I believe with the physical green Suica card, it's valid for 10 years and you can get the money back out of it before you leave, but it's something to look into. TBH I'm not sure why you wouldn't get the green card. In my case at least, because I had it in my Apple Wallet, I just added JPY 1000 or 2000 at a time via credit card and over the last ~36 hours just added JPY 500 at a time. For the final trip to the airport (we flew out of Haneda) I was 20 Yen short but couldn't add such a small amount. 150 was the lowest that seemed to work. For my wife, she topped it up with exactly the difference she was short and had a zero balance when passing through the exit gate. With the physical card you will have to reload it with cash (IIRC) at a terminal. When you use Google Maps for transit planning/information, it will provide the trip cost along with all the other pertinent travel information. Most of our trips around the city were in the 200-300 Yen range. Trips to Kawagoe and Kamakura were more in the 700 Yen range. The metro system in Tokyo appears to be operated by a number of different companies. Some of them appear to offer day pass options for unlimited travel, but only valid on the lines they operate. I didn't look into this further as we mostly did in an out trips and tended to explore one area each day, rather than moving all over Tokyo on multiple trips. My friends in Tokyo used some sort of Yahoo timetable website or app, but I didn't ask if it had an English version. Google Maps worked well enough for us. I did find that some of the subway stations had better, more logical signage than others. It seemed to depend on which line we were riding. For example Yokohama, when we were looking for the Toyoko Line (TY), we initially couldn't find it because it was referred to as the Tokyu Line, which is the parent company operating the Toyoko Line and the signage didn't include the TY abbreviation.

Also, be aware that some lines have women-only cars that operate during morning rush hour (until 9:30 am) and at least one line we used also had special reserved seating double-decker cars that were also identified with a green four-leaf clover symbol on the cars and the platforms. There tend to be a lot of information labels on the platform floors and gates that will provide all of this information, but you have to make a point of noticing and reading it.

For anime, it appears that Akihabara is the place to go, though I did see some shops in Ikebukuro (apparently that area focuses more on anime that appeals to women).

24-105 would be a good general purpose lens but I did use my 70-200 a fair amount for the additional reach. I'd personally be reluctant to not have 200mm available, though on my previous trip to Tokyo ~10 years ago, I only brought my Leica M kit with 90mm as the longest, and I 'survived'.

A good trio for Canon would be the 16-28, 28-70/2.8 and 70-200/4. But that's still >$3500 new. Where did the RF 24-240 come up short in your comparison tests?



May 11, 2026 at 01:28 PM
Charlie52
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Lots of noise here. I own these systems(Canon, Sony, OM) and would go with OM. It's light; has computational abilities; and it would not be intrusive.


May 16, 2026 at 08:24 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Update:

After reading all the feedback here and on other forums (and lots of overthinking), I decided to buy a Canon RF 24-105mm f4.0L. It arrived today!

So, my main camera outfit will be an R6II, RF 24-105mm f4.0L, RF 35mm f1.8 Macro, and RF 16mm f2.8 STM. My kid will be taking the OM-5 with Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2, and an Olympus 45-150mm f4 Pro.

My reasons for choosing this setup:

1. The focal range I'm probably going to be using the most falls between 24mm and 105mm. At least, I believe so based on what everyone has mentioned about Japan. Also, 95% of my time will be spent in Tokyo, so outdoor city shots will most likely be the bulk of the pics I take.

2. After a (very) lengthy research, it came down to picking between either a Sony 24-105mm f4.0 or a Canon RF 24-105mm f4.0L. Most online reviews place the Canon version slightly above the Sony version in terms of IQ. I've had negative experiences with Sony lenses (decentering issues), having to return them until I got a good copy. Ironically, I actually owned a Canon RF 24-105mm f4.0L a few years ago but ended up returning it because it was deffective. I decided to try again. Just arrived today, but preliminary testing indicates it seems to work properly.

3. The 24-105mm f4.0 covers most of my shooting, but I will still need a wider lens (I'm assuming). While my Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 is an absolutely amazing lens, my Canon RF 16mm f2.8 STM is way lighter and performs fairly well.

4. While my Sony A7iv captures better images than my Canon R6II, I really love using my R6II mostly because of the ergonomics.

5. My kid would be complaining constantly having to carry the "heavy" A7c, so the OM-5 it is.

Worst case scenario is if my kid ends up complaining too much, and I see that I don't need to carry around the R6II, then I'll just commandeer the OM-5 outfit and use it for the duration of the trip.



May 16, 2026 at 09:07 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-sigma-20-200mm-3-5-6-3-dg-contemporary/

Seems like a good super-zoom option. For Sony. Not Canon.



May 18, 2026 at 12:11 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Update:

I've been in Tokyo for 4 days now, and I've been using my R6II with my RF 24-105mm f4.0L for daytime shooting and RF 16-28mm f2.8 STM for nightime shooting. Other than the weight of my setup, the lenses seemed to have been good choices.

My kid brought along my OM-5 with a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 G2, and has been complaining about "the weight" for the past 4 days.

On a side note, I've visited several used camera shops in Shinjuku and Shibuya but found the used gear prices higher than in the US and in rougher condition. I only purchased one used lens so far (Canon FD 28mm f2.8 SC for ¥13,800) because I haven't been able to find one back home. I'm going to try a couple more used camera stores before I give up searching for gear. Also, new gear prices are the same than in the US, and I haven't found any "Japan Market Exclusive" gear either. I've checked Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera, Map Camera. My only other photography related purchase has been a small, off brand backpack at Yodobashi Camera.

Affordable domestic watches like Seiko, Citizen, and Orient are priced the same as in the US. So, I probably won't be buying any watches either.

In terms of shopping, this trip has been a total flop so far. Hopefully I'll be able to at least grab a few somewhat decent images at some point during this trip. My equipment choice hasn't been the issue; subject matter hasn't been all that inspiring (Shinjuku and Shibuya).

Hopefully I won't ruffle too many feathers here, but in retrospect, I should've just brought my OM-5 with a couple of lenses as my primary for this trip and no camera at all for my kid. My Canon R6II with RF 24-105mm f4.0L is overkill and extremely heavy for all the walking I've been doing.

PSA: The apple juice here tastes amazing but doesn't sit well with my digestive system. I found that out the hard way. All the hype about 7-11 stores being different/better than in the US was simply hype. They are the same. Food there was just as bad as any 7-11 back home, and the stores are just as dirty as in the US. I brought along two translator devices (Iflytek portable translator and a Vasco v4 translator). Both have been life savors for me on this trip. The only time I didn't use one was when I purchased what I thought was a can of Kiwi juice but ended up being a can of kiwi and egg beer. Lesson learned. I use the translators now even before buying a bag of chips.



Aug 05, 2026 at 06:54 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


New Canikony prices in Japan are not significantly different than USA/Canada, if you shop at Bic or Yodobashi. Map and Fujiya Camera should be 10% less than those chain stores. The biggest price differences (savings) are on Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses, upwards of 30-40%, depending on the model. One small store I visited happened to have the Olympus 150-400/4.5 in stock for way less than US retail. It really depends. I believe there may have recently been Japanese domestic market price increases by some brands due to the weak JPY and probably also to narrow the price gap between the Japan domestic market and various global markets. At least when I was there in May, the new Canon lens I bought was about 20% less than in Canada. I have no comment on quality of used gear in Japan other than some stores have a crazy amount of it. But a little online price shopping would have very quickly indicated that Japan has a somewhat bizarre valuation for used gear - it's way higher than most places and in fact very close to new prices. So why buy used? IMO it only makes sense for something out of production that you want but can't find elsewhere, like on the FM B&S.

If your son doesn't want to use the m43 kit, and the FF kit is dragging you down, then leave the FF in the hotel and take the m43 off his hands. I'm guessing he'll be happy to snap with his phone.

I don't think anyone here claimed that convenience stores offered great meals. They offer convenient and relatively cheap food and are everywhere. My experience with store cleanliness was that it depended on the location and clientele. Those in residential areas tended to be neater while those more in party/nightlife zones were not. If you want relative convenience but a step up, then visit the basement of a department store for a better selection of food options, otherwise head to the restaurants on the upper floors. Tokyo is certainly not lacking in decent restaurants. IMO the most frustrating thing about quick bites in Japan is the lack of places to sit down and eat something combined with the lack of public trash bins (there are virtually none). Yes, this is intentional. As it's generally poor etiquette to be eating in non-designated public spaces, so if you plan to grab something in a department store basement, scope out where they've hidden the token customer seating area beforehand...



Aug 05, 2026 at 10:43 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


rscheffler wrote:
New Canikony prices in Japan are not significantly different than USA/Canada, if you shop at Bic or Yodobashi. Map and Fujiya Camera should be 10% less than those chain stores. The biggest price differences (savings) are on Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses, upwards of 30-40%, depending on the model. One small store I visited happened to have the Olympus 150-400/4.5 in stock for way less than US retail. It really depends. I believe there may have recently been Japanese domestic market price increases by some brands due to the weak JPY and probably also to narrow the price gap between the
...Show more →


I finally got a chance to try authentic Ramen and Udon at a couple of small restaurants. Neither had an English menu, and their prices were great! One of them had a line to get in. These were definitely the exact places I was hoping to find!

I am a bit bumned out about the high prices for photography equipment here in Tokyo. Even accessories are almost double the price of what the cost back home. As for their used equipment, their grading system (A1, A2, B1, etc), isn't very accurate. I've been looking at their A1 stock, and that would be equivalent to BGN on KEH. Hopefully I'll be visiting a few less-touristy areas and look at used camera stores there. I might get lucky, but I'm not counting on it.

On a side note, most people I see with cameras (not smartphones) are using Sony, Fiji, or Leica. I haven't seen any other Canon shooter other than myself yet. Even at the display counters at the big camera stores, people seem to be interested mostly in Sony and Fuji gear. Canon and Nikon counters seem to be ignored by people, and I've noticed that the displays themselves carry much more Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic gear than Canon or Nikon.



Aug 06, 2026 at 02:59 AM
RacingManiac
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
All the hype about 7-11 stores being different/better than in the US was simply hype. They are the same. Food there was just as bad as any 7-11 back home, and the stores are just as dirty as in the US.


This is definitely a take..... Only 7-11/Convenience store food in US I've see are whatever the crap on the roller and I'd never even entertain the idea of buying. The selection for cold and hot food pretty much in any combini in Japan is way more diversed and acceptable. Quick onigiri to go? premade pork cutlet sandwich? freshly made fried chicken patty or meat buns? Maybe you don't eat those but its not remotely comparable to whats here....

Re: Used gears, I think thats definitely a case by case thing. I've bought GM lenses at MAP camera in Shinjuku that costs me $2-300 less than I'd pay in US, but thats also factoring in exchange rate and tax. Taxfree shopping in Japan is about to change from immediate refund to getting it when you leave, so that would take the convenience out of a lot of things. Condition wise I've seen the spectrum. In known stores like MAP unless it says its bargain most things are in excellent conditions. But I've walked into used counters of random camera stores and piles of old lenses also exist. If I want to find bargain old lenses to adapt it might actually be tricky. I've also seen generations old used bodies in prestine conditions. As noted too, new Voigtlanders are like different price bracket. 28APO when I got it was $400 less than what they lists for here.




Aug 06, 2026 at 08:23 AM
jojib
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
Thanks, you too!!


I recently got the Viltrox 35/1.2 LAB N so I'm going with that one with the A7V. I just want a model shoot there---walk with the model in the Shibuya district and then Shinjuku close to the evening in front of the famed neon lights---for some Blade Runner-style shots.



Aug 06, 2026 at 08:43 AM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
Update:

Affordable domestic watches like Seiko, Citizen, and Orient are priced the same as in the US. So, I probably won't be buying any watches either.

PSA: The apple juice here tastes amazing but doesn't sit well with my digestive system. I found that out the hard way. All the hype about 7-11 stores being different/better than in the US was simply hype. They are the same. Food there was just as bad as any 7-11 back home, and the stores are just as dirty as in the US.


Agree on the watches - except for the fact that there are variants not officially imported to the US from Japan and there is a Kurono Tokyo boutique in Tokyo which is awesome.

I also saw more Grand Seiko variants than you would normally see in the US if you like a high end watch with a Spring Drive movement.

I didn’t see any screaming camera bargains either. The difference was availability. There were a few bodies and lenses available at BIC that were sold out in the US

Strong disagree on the 7-11 food although Lawson is better.

Outstanding sandwiches there that wouldn’t be available at a US 7-11. Even something as simple as an egg sandwich is an elevated experience at 7-11 and even better at Lawson if you’re still in Japan.

Fun chip flavors if you fancy potato chips.

Chicken karaage and tempura shrimp at 7-11 that absolutely demolish the horrible fake cheese and super sketchy hot dogs found in stateside 7-11 stores.

No armed robberies either.



Aug 07, 2026 at 01:07 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


snegron7 wrote:
I finally got a chance to try authentic Ramen and Udon at a couple of small restaurants. Neither had an English menu, and their prices were great! One of them had a line to get in. These were definitely the exact places I was hoping to find!


My wife is the more picky one about food/eating out when we're traveling. One of her golden rules is if there is a lineup that is mostly natives, it's worth trying.

Great thing about most Japanese restaurants we ended up in was that they used a QR system that would launch the menu on your phone, you'd order from your phone and the food would arrive exactly as expected. There was barely any verbal communication. And these all had English menu options. Wandering around the side streets of Kyoto we ended up in a neighborhood restaurant without a QR menu or any English, but still got by. Another one of these about 30 minutes outside Tokyo did have QR and their lunch menu was fantastic. And cheap. Like $10-15 sets that were filling.

If you have the chance, try Fujiya Camera in Nakano. https://maps.app.goo.gl/fYkGaAYhc5N4pzyKA

Can't promise their used stuff will be anything special, but might be worth a try.

It's also a nice area to walk around the side streets - I did a photo walk there with another FM member during my May trip, plus there were a ton of decent looking restaurants. My wife and I waited in line for about 30 minutes at one and it was good.



Aug 07, 2026 at 02:24 AM
ruthenium
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Flying from North America to Tokyo at the hottest time of the year, to spend more than two days in this city or Osaka, Kyoto, etc.(and not elsewhere less crowded and slightly less hot in Japan) is literally suicidal. You may feel even worse about your experience in a day or two if you already spent four days in Tokyo - I feel sorry about your situation. Well, at least it seems that you are not unhappy about your accommodation. Unlike 7-11 and Lawson stores (that I really like in Japan), it is staying in tiny hotel rooms that makes me distressed in Japan. I have learned to avoid both large cities and hotels in Japan as much as possible. Of course, good ryokans can be expensive but they are worth the money.


Aug 07, 2026 at 05:20 AM
ruthenium
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Regarding gear prices, in June this year I bought the GF500MM F5.6 lens from a small camera shop in Naha, Okinawa Japan for 438,546 yen. The amount charged to my credit card was Canadian $3840.80. The cost of this lens in Canada is CAD $4724 + 13% tax = CAD $5,338.12. Maybe some brands are relatively less expensive than others in Japan, that is the cost difference isn't uniform.


Aug 07, 2026 at 05:33 AM
RacingManiac
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · Canon, Sony or Olympus for Japan Trip?


Unlike a lot of people I am actually fine with Japanese style small business hotel(solo traveler here, but I am also not on the short end at 5' 11"), and also fine with mostly in big cities but I have been many times. I actually quite appreciate the modular bathroom they got with a deep tub. I use that quite a bit especially after days of 35k+ steps. But I also never visit during middle of summer(fall is a favorite, but I've done early summer post-Golden Week and it was fine also.

I also think people if people read too much before their first trip they might miss out on things. Its fashionable to tell people to skip the "main things"(golden route, popular sights, etc), but there are reasons why they are popular. I think for most their first trip doing the "normal" things is fine. I am going on my 8th trip to Japan in Nov and I'll be more selective on where I go.



Aug 07, 2026 at 12:56 PM
1       2       3              5       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account