p.3 #1 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Very early impressions from using the adapter with a Thypoch Ksana 21mm f/3.5:
The M2RF’s motors are loud and occasionally high-pitched. This appears to be normal, which I have no problem with, just noting in case someone has a different experience.
The macOS app may reset the lens name after editing other fields, such as the focal length. In my case I ended up setting the correct name but accidentally saving the incorrect focal length.
Finally for now, I saw MF peaking and the focus assist visualization working on my EOS R5 Mark II with the adapter set to MF mode. This makes logical sense, but seeing it for myself is a nice confirmation. I’ve used these a lot with the Voigtländer native RF mount lenses, so very pleased to have them here.
p.3 #2 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Mine arrived! Works as intended. @megadap can you please open-source your Windows/Mac custom tool so software developers can make some improvements? (saved lens profiles, for one)
p.3 #4 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
I was fortunate enough to pick up a Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 and try it out with the M2RF. Seems I couldn’t always hit the infinity focus point, even in MF mode. The lens is in good condition and the focus ring stopped right in the middle of the infinity symbol. I’m still new to M mount and adapting it, so I welcome any advice there. Cheers!
p.3 #5 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
I have a 90AA-M and on my M camera it does not reach infinity. To get acceptable infinity sharpness I need to stop down to ~f/8. On typical M to mirrorless system adapters it does reach infinity because those are typically made slightly shorter than the proper length. I have not yet tried it with my Shoten M to Canon RF adapter to determine if that one is also slightly short, but I'm guessing in your situation the M2RF is probably very close to the official/required length out of the box.
If you have other M mount lenses, do they all focus at infinity wide open with the M2RF? Do you have an M camera you can try the 90AA on to determine if it also won't focus to infinity? If that's the case, the 90AA needs infinity calibration, which Leica should be able to do, or a Leica repair specialist such as DAG. Wherever you send it, be prepared to wait a while due to typical servicing backlogs.
If you don't have an M camera to confirm it on, but considering you're in NYC, you could visit the Leica Store there and they more than likely will be willing to let you test the lens on an M display camera outside the store.
The wording of your post does suggest that the 90AA on the M2RF does occasionally reach infinity. Is this the case or was your wording just a bit inaccurate? If it does occasionally reach infinity then I would suspect the adapter, but you'd want to try some other M mount lenses that definitely focus at infinity wide open on an M camera to confirm. Or a second M2RF adapter, but can appreciate that might be inconvenient.
p.3 #6 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Hello @rscheffler, thank you for the fantastic and thorough reply. Previously I had no issues focusing the Thypoch Ksana 21mm f/3.5 to infinity, but that’s obviously a very different lens.
I will try stopping down the 90AA and visiting the NYC Leica Store to see how it behaves on a bonafide M mount camera. I believe I did see an improvement when stopping down, but my testing wasn’t particularly structured, so I’ll try again later. I’ll also consider trying a different M to RF adapter. I do have a Fujifilm X-H2 and the Voigtländer M mount adapter, though, so I can at least compare performance with that setup.
p.3 #7 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
You're welcome. Yes, definitely try it with the Fuji adapter.
The 90AA has a reputation as a fussy lens for Leica to rangefinder calibrate so it's possible it might be problematic about correct infinity focus, though I don't recall any other comments about this over the years. Your post simply caught my attention because I am in the same situation, at least when used natively on Leica M. I've just been too lazy to either send it to Leica, DAG or elsewhere for attention. I should try it with my Shoten adapter. If it doesn't reach infinity on that, then it might spur me to actually address the problem. I was actually contemplating grabbing a VM 90/2 APO while I was in Japan recently because the price for a new one there would probably be not much more than whatever Leica would charge for the servicing. But based on Fred's testing, it seems the 90AA adapts a bit better to stock mirrorless sensors than the VM, so I hesitated and didn't get the VM after all.
p.3 #8 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
I'm futzing around with the M2RF and associated software, late evening.
Frustrating, the software to load profiles (lenses, apertures, etc.) seems half-baked or a least fights Windows to some sort of mutually-spiteful truce which precludes me from using it. At least I loaded the Summilux 35/50 aspherical data. The other two slots, I can't even get the program to run and stay open. Meanwhile my computer is beeping like a USB device is connected/disconnected at random.
L'poo.
It did ship with the current firmware and is nicely built for sure. And that matters, because you can always keep tweaking firmware on hardware that's already in the hands of consumers.
p.3 #9 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Alright, I had the folks at the NYC Leica Store take a look at my 90AA-M, and by all accounts it’s in great condition, focuses as expected, especially on a real rangefinder camera. I guess you can send in lenses to be modified for improved infinity focusing, but that’s specialized, as opposed to a repair. Meanwhile I’ll probably post again once I’ve spent a bit more time with this lens and the M2RF, as well as the Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" (finally showed up yesterday).
p.3 #10 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
kohlmannj wrote:
Alright, I had the folks at the NYC Leica Store take a look at my 90AA-M, and by all accounts it’s in great condition, focuses as expected, especially on a real rangefinder camera.
p.3 #11 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
rscheffler wrote:
So on an M camera it reaches infinity wide open?
Ah, yes, let me try to clarify:
On an M11 of some description, focusing to infinity produced an acceptable, but not pin-sharp result, which slightly improved when stopping down to f/5.6 and f/8. The Leica Store workers, with more familiarity with M mount than me, found this to be satisfactory, given their knowledge of how these lenses are typically calibrated for rangefinder use. And again, beyond that, sending in the lens for modification to further improve infinity focus precision was an option.
My takeaway was, okay, I’m seeing expected behavior for this lens, regardless of the M2RF adapter’s involvement. I’ll probably switch to one of my Canon lenses for critical telephoto landscape shooting, for example, but I’m fine with that.
p.3 #12 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like your 90AA performs better at infinity than mine, but not as well as Fred's, as can be seen here in his VM 90/2 APO review.
I suppose it will depend on what type of photography you prioritize with this lens. I've lived with it because infinity is still good at greater than f/5.6, but as Fred's image crops clearly demonstrate, the 90AA is sharp at infinity wide open.
Based on how your 90AA performed on the M11, how do those images compare to infinity sharpness with the M2RF?
p.3 #13 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
rscheffler wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like your 90AA performs better at infinity than mine, but not as well as Fred's, as can be seen here in his VM 90/2 APO review.
Oh, great: proof that I’m also new to the forum, I didn’t even think to check for a review from Fred. Thanks again.
rscheffler wrote:
I suppose it will depend on what type of photography you prioritize with this lens. I've lived with it because infinity is still good at greater than f/5.6, but as Fred's image crops clearly demonstrate, the 90AA is sharp at infinity wide open.
Based on how your 90AA performed on the M11, how do those images compare to infinity sharpness with the M2RF?
A few things: First, I probably should’ve shared some photos earlier. Here are some 90AA-M shots from last weekend. Thanks to the M2RF adapter, have accurate EXIF metadata from what I’ve seen: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjD36hW
Fred’s results do appear to be sharper than my R5m2, M2RF, and this particular 90AA-M. There’s a megapixel difference, of course, so that may be a factor.
----
Compared to the M11 at the NYC Leica Store, where we shot the far wall with some gallery lettering from near the entrance, I’d say my R5m2 + M2RF results are on par: in-focus, but not razor-sharp when pixel peeping.
----
One other personal point of reference: I cross-compared my 90AA-M results with some other photos of mine taken with the Canon RF 135mm f/1.8 L IS USM: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjCY1Vv
Caveat: DxO PhotoLab Lens Sharpness Correction is enabled for the RF 135mm, which in my experience makes a significant difference. Thus my edits are not strictly speaking a direct comparison of lens performance.
p.3 #15 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Just returned my adapter for replacement. A 35mm, two 50s and a 75mm - all lenses I trust are well adjusted - gave the same result: the adapter couldn't quite reach infinity.
p.3 #16 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
kohlmannj wrote:
Compared to the M11 at the NYC Leica Store, where we shot the far wall with some gallery lettering from near the entrance, I’d say my R5m2 + M2RF results are on par: in-focus, but not razor-sharp when pixel peeping.
With all due respect, that's not infinity. I was thinking you step out the front door, put the lens at the infinity hard stop, set it wide open and shoot down the street. Check the photo to see where the actual plane of focus is. This is where I have issues with my 90AA on my M at wider apertures - actual focus is short of infinity. But it can still focus on something ~100 feet away.
If I have time I'll see if I can find my M-RF adapters and do some quick test shots with my 90AA on the R5II and maybe compare it against the 70-200 Z at 90mm.
I agree that photos like 6078 are unacceptably soft. The lens should be usably sharp wide open at infinity as illustrated in Fred's tests.
Having browsed most of that album, I'm kind of wondering if you actually have the 90 APO ASPH and not the pre-ASPH. While the 90AA is not as well corrected for an APO as some newer lenses, I'm seeing way more LoCA and fringing in your images than I ever remember seeing with mine. The bokeh character is also different than how I remember the 90AA (I haven't shot much with for a few years) and reminds me more of what I've seen from Mandler-era lenses. There's also a noticeable amount of spherical aberration wide open. The 90AA does show slight SA wide open, but at nearer distances.
----
One other personal point of reference: I cross-compared my 90AA-M results with some other photos of mine taken with the Canon RF 135mm f/1.8 L IS USM: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjCY1Vv
Caveat: DxO PhotoLab Lens Sharpness Correction is enabled for the RF 135mm, which in my experience makes a significant difference. Thus my edits are not strictly speaking a direct comparison of lens performance.
I also have the RF 135/1.8 and it's a very sharp lens. I think it's sharper than the 90AA wide open and also higher contrast. It's also ~30 years newer. Your wide open infinity images with it are what I would expect.
p.3 #17 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
rscheffler wrote:
With all due respect, that's not infinity. I was thinking you step out the front door, put the lens at the infinity hard stop, set it wide open and shoot down the street. Check the photo to see where the actual plane of focus is. This is where I have issues with my 90AA on my M at wider apertures - actual focus is short of infinity. But it can still focus on something ~100 feet away.
If I have time I'll see if I can find my M-RF adapters and do some quick test shots with my 90AA on the R5II and maybe compare it against the 70-200 Z at 90mm....Show more →
Hah, no worries. I came to this forum to learn, so no harm in pointing out my mistakes or assumptions. Test shots would be great, if and whenever you have time!
rscheffler wrote:
I agree that photos like 6078 are unacceptably soft. The lens should be usably sharp wide open at infinity as illustrated in Fred's tests.
Having browsed most of that album, I'm kind of wondering if you actually have the 90 APO ASPH and not the pre-ASPH. While the 90AA is not as well corrected for an APO as some newer lenses, I'm seeing way more LoCA and fringing in your images than I ever remember seeing with mine. The bokeh character is also different than how I remember the 90AA (I haven't shot much with for a few years) and reminds me more of what I've seen from Mandler-era lenses. There's also a noticeable amount of spherical aberration wide open. The 90AA does show slight SA wide open, but at nearer distances....Show more →
Ah I see, I think I miscommunicated at some point. I’m still new to M mount, and I hadn’t internalized that the 90 pre-ASPH. is distinct from the 90 ASPH.
Indeed, I have the ASPH. Here are what the lens marking say, which I double-checked:
APO-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH.
Serial Number: 3950058
rscheffler wrote:
I also have the RF 135/1.8 and it's a very sharp lens. I think it's sharper than the 90AA wide open and also higher contrast. It's also ~30 years newer. Your wide open infinity images with it are what I would expect.
Oh great, thanks for this. I’m spoiled by the RF 135mm f/1.8 L if I’m being honest. Glad to hear I’m getting the expected performance.
p.3 #18 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Indeed, it has been some time since I've really used the 90AA and that was on the 24MP M240. I had a look through photos from that combo and it looked a lot cleaner than I was seeing from your images.
However, after doing some side by side comparison shots today with the 90AA and Canon RF 70-200Z at 91mm on the R5II, the 90AA does not have the wide open 'bite' of the Z and exhibits a fair amount of SA and also LoCA in the right situations. The RF 70-200 Z might have some advantage being at f/2.8 instead of f/2, but it's also ~30 years newer optical design and appears to be very well corrected for LoCA. It retains overall higher contrast and better sharpness in the plane of focus across the frame. It also exhibits a deeper looking plane of focus at farther distances (certainly f/2.8 vs. f/2 is a factor). I was primarily interested in each lens wide open where it would be weakest. For the comparison photos below, I tweaked them in LRC to generally equalize exposure, color and tonality as the RF series was shot about 10 minutes later and the light quality had changed a bit.
Adapter used for the 90AA was a simple Urth without any contacts or internal helicoid. With this adapter it appears that the 90AA still focuses slightly short of infinity wide open, but it's probably not as short of infinity as you're seeing with the M2RF.
It also has me wondering if I should have bought the VM 90/2 APO after all while I was in Japan earlier this year.... that said, I think adapted lenses on the Canon will remain a niche 'character' application for me and suspect that the likes of the Canon RF 85/1.4L VCM will outperform the 90AA in respect to across-frame image sharpness. The 85 VCM is on the 'wish list' though I'm biding my time to see if Canon will release a fast 100 VCM, which I would prefer for people photos.
If you're curious, full-rez comparison photos are at this Google Drive link.
Below are some side by side crops, always the 90AA on the left. The crops are downsized by the browser page for display here, so you won't see the differences as clearly as when at full resolution.
p.3 #20 · Megadap M2RF – the first-ever Leica M to Canon RF Autofocus Adapter!
Sadly, I returned the second copy of the M2RF adapter. While just a little better, it too could not reach infinity on my R5 II. From a ZM 15mm, through multiple 35s, 50s, and an 85mm I couldn't get an acceptable-sharp focus plane for distant objects. Maybe it's my Canon equipment but I will "sit this one out".
The adapter is really nicely built, everything is well finished, no issues with paint, fitment, nothing.
It's a little buzzy but that's fine. It focusses fast and well, near-to-mid photos came out nicely. I couldn't see any lopsidedness in the adapter itself (asymmetric focus in photos).
I'm sure they'll fix the battery drain issue in firmware.