fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       51              53       …       56       57       end
  

Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...

  
 
RobAmy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #1 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Here is a screen grab from the C50

Attack Mode Activated by A & R Photography, on Flickr



May 23, 2026 at 08:14 AM
dj63401
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #2 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


RobAmy wrote:
Finally was able to get some footage for a change. Here is the first of the season hummingbird. I used the C50 in super 35 mode. ¬ens was the RF 100-300 with the 2x. Natural sounds was with the Comica VM40 mic.


Excellent Rob!
Audio mix was perfect.
When a clip is this good, it is hard to comment.
Dave





May 23, 2026 at 12:00 PM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #3 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...




Practice footage: My first video in a while, I was able to get out for a couple of hours this week.

I'm practicing a couple of things:
1: Using the arm on my tripod fluid head for the first time hoping to get smoother movements than I used to get by holding the head with my two hands. This means trusting my R5 AF more than before.
2: Using my new Rode Video Pro mic to capture ambient sound. Practicing using the mic settings to reduce the hissing sounds during recording. I turn the camera sound recording volume way down to reduce the camera's preamp noise and then boosting the recording volume on the mic. This make a HUGE difference greatly reducing the recording background noise because the preamp of the mic is much better quality that the preamp in the camera. I also did additional noise reduction on the audio file in an audio editor called Audacity which did a great job.

Video format:
I shot the entire video in 4K60p crop mode for a number of reasons:
1: I used to shoot the majority of my clips in 4K120p because it gave smoother results, but as you know it has some disadvantages - it is line-skipped and produces poor image quality, plus it does not allow audio recording. On the other hand 4K60p crop is down-sampled using 5.1 K from the center of sensor producing much higher image quality virtually indistinguishable from 4K30 Fine mode, and you can do audio recording too.
2: In crop mode the autofocus points cover a larger area of the sensor than in full frame modes making the overall AF performance better. I'm pretty happy with the results.
3: Overheating is not a problem in 4K60p so I can just let the recording run on and on and this acts essentially like having pre-capture on the R5, something I can't do on the R5 shooting 4K120p because it runs too hot and produces huge files. Also pretty happy about this.

Filming in Log - my conclusion about filming in Log on the Canon R5:
After 8 months of almost continuous filming in C-Log 3 on a wide variety of wildlife and landscape subjects in various weather and lighting conditions I have decided that for my use cases it's simply not worth the time, trouble or expense. The above video was not filmed in Log but in Canon's Standard Picture Profile.

Still lots of flaws in some of this footage (first clip is very jumpy), a work in progress...

Cheers,
Rudy


Edited on May 29, 2026 at 06:12 AM · View previous versions



May 24, 2026 at 05:21 PM
dj63401
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #4 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:


Practice footage: My first video in a while, I was able to get out for a couple of hours this week.

I'm practicing a couple of things:
1: Using the fluid head arm on my tripod head for the first time ever hoping to get smoother movements than I used to get by holding the head with my hands. This means trusting my R5 AF more than before.
2: Using my new Rode Video Pro mic to capture ambient sound. Practicing using the mic settings to reduce the hissing sounds during recording. I turn the camera sound recording volume way down
...Show more →
Looks very good to me Rudy!
I wish my practice video was this good, !
Hope you can get out more and have more video to share with us.
Dave



May 25, 2026 at 11:41 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #5 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


dj63401 wrote:
Looks very good to me Rudy!
I wish my practice video was this good, !
Hope you can get out more and have more video to share with us.
Dave


Hi Dave,

Thanks for watching and for your kind and encouraging remarks.

Cheers,
Rudy



May 25, 2026 at 08:47 PM
RobAmy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #6 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...




Rudy Pohl wrote:
Cheers,
Rudy


Nice Rudy, I am away for bit and only have my phone. I will have a better look on my return home. Glad you got out.

Rob



May 27, 2026 at 12:01 PM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #7 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


RobAmy wrote:
Nice Rudy, I am away for bit and only have my phone. I will have a better look on my return home. Glad you got out.

Rob


Thanks Rob. Hope you're having a good time.

Take care,
Rudy



May 27, 2026 at 01:23 PM
Dilemma
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #8 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:
Video format:
I shot the entire video in 4K60p crop mode for a number of reasons:
1: I used to shoot the majority of my clips in 4K120p because it gave smoother results, but as you know it has some disadvantages - it is line-skipped and produces poor image quality, plus it does not allow audio recording. On the other hand 4K60p crop is down-sampled using 5.1 K from the center of sensor producing much higher image quality virtually indistinguishable from 4K30 Fine mode, and you can do audio recording too.
2: In crop mode the autofocus points cover a larger area
...Show more →
Rudy, agreed. Especially the section on Log. For what I shoot I've just found the additional post processing work not worth the added effort. Some of this is absolutely due to my shortcomings.

I also like 4K-60 for the ability to slow the clip down. Dragging a 4K-60 clip onto the timeline creates a 4K-60 sequence. Got that. Now a question; would creating a 4K-30 (or 24) sequence and dropping the 4K-60 clip into it, allow me to slow down further? Or am I better off just slowing down the 4K-60 clip in the 4K-60 sequence?



May 30, 2026 at 07:31 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #9 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Hi Tom,

I think you're better off slowing down the 4K-60 clip in the 4K-60 sequence, but I'm no expert,,,, essentially just started using this format.

Cheers,
Rudy



May 31, 2026 at 06:02 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #10 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...



Quiet Mornings at the Pond

This favorite local pond in Ottawa, Ontario has been my second home for the last 15 years, ever since I discovered wildlife photography (and now videography).

Enjoy!
Rudy

Camera: Canon R5
Lens: Canon RF 100-500 L
Video format: 4K60p crop, 4K120p
Editing: Davinci Resolve 20
Music credits: see end of video for credits page




Jun 11, 2026 at 04:57 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RobAmy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #11 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:
Quiet Mornings at the Pond

This favorite local pond in Ottawa, Ontario has been my second home for the last 15 years, ever since I discovered wildlife photography (and now videography).

Enjoy!
Rudy

Camera: Canon R5
Lens: Canon RF 100-500 L
Video format: 4K60p crop, 4K120p
Editing: Davinci Resolve 20
Music credits: see end of video for credits page



Loved this while having my morning coffee, well done.




Jun 12, 2026 at 05:10 AM
dj63401
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #12 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:
Quiet Mornings at the Pond

This favorite local pond in Ottawa, Ontario has been my second home for the last 15 years, ever since I discovered wildlife photography (and now videography).

Enjoy!
Rudy

Very nice Rudy!
An enjoyable love letter to your favorite pond!
Always enjoy watching your videos.
Dave



Jun 12, 2026 at 07:08 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #13 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


RobAmy wrote:
Loved this while having my morning coffee, well done.



Hi Rob,

Thanks for watching and commenting! I've been managing to get out a bit more lately. We've been having sweltering heat and humidity up here in Ottawa lately, but I get to the pond by 6:30 am and stay for only 2 hours so that works out really well.
Cheers,
Rudy



Jun 12, 2026 at 10:06 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #14 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


dj63401 wrote:
Very nice Rudy!
An enjoyable love letter to your favorite pond!
Always enjoy watching your videos.
Dave


Hi Dave,

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, I guess it really is a love letter to my favourite pond - cool description.
Have a great day!
Rudy



Jun 12, 2026 at 10:08 AM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #15 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Cheezie but Fun!



Here's one Pied-billed Grebe chasing another one out of its territory. I've been waiting for years to capture this event, but unfortunately I was shooting directly into the sun so the colours and image quality leave a lot to be desired. I'm amazed that the camera stayed on focus all this time.



Jun 17, 2026 at 12:49 PM
dj63401
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #16 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:
Cheezie but Fun!

Fun video Rudy!
The music was perfect, and put a smile on my face.
Dave



Jun 17, 2026 at 01:53 PM
Rudy Pohl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #17 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


dj63401 wrote:
Fun video Rudy!
The music was perfect, and put a smile on my face.
Dave


Glad you got a chuckle out of it!
Cheers,
Rudy



Jun 17, 2026 at 05:08 PM
dj63401
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #18 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Young White Tail Deer at Ted Shanks C.A. in NE Missouri. Velvet on antlers and several button bucks.
Canon R5 MKII RF200-800 4k Hand held using monopod

?si=JaO4rElcusUtwJN2



Jun 18, 2026 at 06:07 AM
lovers8892
Offline
•
[X]
p.52 #19 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Heeey)


Jun 18, 2026 at 08:53 AM
RobAmy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #20 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...


Rudy Pohl wrote:
Here's one Pied-billed Grebe chasing another one out of its territory. I've been waiting for years to capture this event, but unfortunately I was shooting directly into the sun so the colours and image quality leave a lot to be desired. I'm amazed that the camera stayed on focus all this time.


A fun one right there



Jun 19, 2026 at 03:03 PM
1       2       3       …       51              53       …       56       57       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       51              53       …       56       57       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account