fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       25              end
  

Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review

  
 
Ne314satel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


I love this lens for its sharpness and ability to shoot into the sun without glare. This APO perfectly complements my shadow lens—the Summarit 50mm/F1.5 and the Noctilux 50/0.95 for dream portraits.




Apr 22, 2026 at 03:50 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Ne314satel wrote:

I love this lens for its sharpness and ability to shoot into the sun without glare. This APO perfectly complements my shadow lens—the Summarit 50mm/F1.5 and the Noctilux 50/0.95 for dream portraits.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55222505952_0419429cc3_c.jpg


love this pic!



Apr 22, 2026 at 05:33 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


This thread is so long I thought I would cut to the chase and find out if anyone with a V1 can figure out how to 6 bit code it since the flange is black and I not sure what its made from. Assume a white pen or paint is the answer.Thanks.


Apr 22, 2026 at 07:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


stgrove wrote:
This thread is so long I thought I would cut to the chase and find out if anyone with a V1 can figure out how to 6 bit code it since the flange is black and I not sure what its made from. Assume a white pen or paint is the answer.Thanks.


Even if the mount is already black, you still need to repaint it with the proper matte black finish. The only real difference compared to a bare metal mount is that you'll also need to cover the white coding.



Apr 28, 2026 at 08:21 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Even if the mount is already black, you still need to repaint it with the proper matte black finish. The only real difference compared to a bare metal mount is that you'll also need to cover the white coding.


Thanks Fred.
By "cover the white coding", do you mean find a white paint or something else?



Apr 29, 2026 at 10:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


stgrove wrote:
Thanks Fred.
By "cover the white coding", do you mean find a white paint or something else?


What I mean is, when the mount is black, both the white and black coding need to be painted. If it's bare silver metal, only the black is needed.

For the white, I use the Uni-Ball Uni Paint PX-203 oil-based marker with an extra fine 0.8mm tip.
For the black, I use a Uni "Super Ink Marker" oil-based pigment with a fine tip.



Apr 29, 2026 at 10:22 AM
Renes60
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
The lower megapixel count of the Leica M9 can make moire more apparent compared to a higher-resolution sensor. Moire occurs when fine details exceed the sensor's resolving capability, leading to color fringing and interference patterns. I’ve noticed plenty of moire on my 24 MP Leica M-D, while it’s far less common on the M11.


I'm wondering if the Nikon Z with 24MP sensor might also have moiré issues?

Does anyone use the Voigtlander 50/3.5 Apo with a 24MP Nikon and can confirm this?



May 17, 2026 at 05:08 PM
rico
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


The Z6 has a low-pass filter but easily generates moire with a sharp lens and susceptible subject (e.g. fabric).


May 17, 2026 at 06:25 PM
Renes60
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


rico wrote:
The Z6 has a low-pass filter but easily generates moire with a sharp lens and susceptible subject (e.g. fabric).


Thanks.



May 18, 2026 at 12:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


rico wrote:
The Z6 has a low-pass filter but easily generates moire with a sharp lens and susceptible subject (e.g. fabric).


It was really one of the main benefits of higher resolution sensors. Talk of moiré and aliasing has mostly disappeared and is no longer a real concern. But with 18 to 24MP sensors, moire can still be quite noticeable and I see it in the Zf's 24MP sensor images, which I believe uses a similar sensor to the Z6.



May 26, 2026 at 10:36 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Renes60
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


gclkc wrote:
The two-tone Type I version I ordered from CameraQuest arrived this morning. I didn't have much time to test it yet but did take a few photos at lunchtime. From those quick samples, I can confirm that it works great adapted to a Nikon Z7, with excellent performance all the way to the corners, even at full aperture (as I expected would be the case on Nikon Z bodies given Fred's report that it worked fine on Sony bodies).

I have three different Leica M to Nikon Z adapters - a fixed, all-black Novoflex adapter, a silver and black Voigtlander
...Show more →

Did you try TTArtisan 6 bit M-Z adapter which gives focus confirmation?



May 30, 2026 at 02:26 PM
gclkc
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Renes60 wrote:
Did you try TTArtisan 6 bit M-Z adapter which gives focus confirmation?


No - I have not.




Jun 01, 2026 at 05:16 PM
EMH2025
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Going Green- new to me Kanto M3 repaint, late M3, 1966 build SS with the green special edition 50 3.5, note timer has been deleted.
Just got it yesterday, now kitted out and ready to fire a roll or two through it and see how it does. Tripping the shutter with a M3 is always such a pleasure nothing ever feels or sounds as good as it does. I will use it with a Voigtlander light meter but it looks better for the pic without it in the cold shoe. I have wanted to get a green Kanto M3 for quite a while, finally have it in my hands.
Looks great of course with silver lenses, and my 1966 build rigid is a perfect match as well and gives me F2 rather than 3.5. For M3s I mostly use 50s on it, once in a while might use a 35, but it is a perfect 50s camera.







Aug 23, 2026 at 08:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


EMH2025 wrote:
Going Green- new to me Kanto M3 repaint, late M3, 1966 build SS with the green special edition 50 3.5, note timer has been deleted.
Just got it yesterday, now kitted out and ready to fire a roll or two through it and see how it does. Tripping the shutter with a M3 is always such a pleasure nothing ever feels or sounds as good as it does. I will use it with a Voigtlander light meter but it looks better for the pic without it in the cold shoe. I have wanted to get a green Kanto M3 for quite
...Show more →

It matches nicely!

I'm using it on the Niko Zf but it matches my Leica M Safari better:







Aug 23, 2026 at 05:19 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Just picked up a Type II from CQ ... I haven't even downloaded any images, but from the LCD I think I'm gonna like this one.

The two "knocks" about this lens that kept me away from it was the obvious f/3.5, vs. something faster. That is what it is.

The other one was folks talking about the handling where you had to adjust the aperture first, then focus because you couldn't adjust the aperture after focusing, without shifting the focus. I was a bit about how I'd get along with that.

Well ... a few things about that readily come to mind (for me).

1. If I'm shooting slow and deliberate, e.g. landscape / architectural, who cares.
2. If I'm shooting "quick", I'm likely to be wide open or stopped down to a pre-determined DOF for zone focusing anyway.

Those two, I figured "on paper" before buying it.

3. I quickly realized that I CAN change aperture without changing the focus, when turning the aperture ring. It's not that it is "linked", it is just that the friction of the aperture ring is more than the friction of the focusing ring (smoooooooth).

Without even trying, I was just holding the lens the way I normally do, and one of my fingers supplied enough tension on the focusing ring that when I turned the aperture ring with a different finger, the focus remained in place and the aperture changed just fine ... without moving the focus ring.

Granted, the focus ring WOULD HAVE MOVED with the aperture ring, if my finger had not been applying pressure to it, but it didn't take much to hold focus in place while turning the aperture ring. Maybe, it's just the way I hold the lens, but it is NOT A PROBLEM to change aperture and retain focus while holding the lens. Granted, if it was, say tripod mounted, and I just turned the aperture ring ... yeah, the focus ring would come along for the ride. But, handholding ... no sweat to hold focus, while changing aperture.

And, that focus throw through the EVF on an L mount, is very nice handling, too. Throw on the M handles nice, too (smoooooooth).


For me ... that "knocks" the "knocks" out of the way (granted, still 3.5, not a Lux).



Time to find out what this little gem can do.




Sep 03, 2026 at 04:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


RustyBug wrote:
Just picked up a Type II from CQ ... I haven't even downloaded any images, but from the LCD I think I'm gonna like this one.

The two "knocks" about this lens that kept me away from it was the obvious f/3.5, vs. something faster. That is what it is.

The other one was folks talking about the handling where you had to adjust the aperture first, then focus because you couldn't adjust the aperture after focusing, without shifting the focus. I was a bit about how I'd get along with that.

Well ... a few things about that readily come to
...Show more →

Congrats on your new lens! It is an amazing 50mm and is super well-corrected for applications that demand it.

While it’s not a Summicron in terms of light gathering or depth of field, it still gives you a nice blur at f/3.5, being about 1 1/2 stops slower. You're completely right about the handling technique for changing the aperture on the Type II without accidentally disturbing the focus ring.

In many ways, I prefer the Type II over my own Type I, especially since it focuses closer but Type I has the aperture/focus rings arranged separately.

Be sure to post some shots! It is actually quite liberating not having too much blur, as it encourages you to be more deliberate about selecting aesthetic backgrounds that become a real part of the composition, just slightly softened depending on your distance. Plus, if you shoot film with a 1/1000s max shutter speed and no ND filters, you won't even notice it isn't an f/2 lens.



Sep 03, 2026 at 06:16 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Thanks, Fred.

Nothing special, but here's something not quite mfd, with some crop for comp (also at 800px, elsewhere). Yeah, this guy's gonna have a place in the bag for a while.

Lots of good things, but ... it is also FUN to shoot with, so ... so, lite.



Kent Southers 2026




Sep 03, 2026 at 07:10 PM
EMH2025
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


This is a lens I really like, and after having it on the Kanto repair shown above for a while I decided I was not that fond of the modern olive hood other than it is olive, so a vintage chrome FISON for Elmer 3.5 hood I found fixed that. Some vintage Leica hoods are rare, very expensive and difficult to find, this one, common and not that pricey and still in great shape. Now it looks right to me. Olive M3s originally were with the 2.8 collapsible Elmer, and that remains a great lens and also looks right on the camera being chrome. One of the things Kanto did in the CLA is restored the quiet reputation of the M3's shutter. The difference of it being reset to what it should be is noticeable.

This looks equally good on the M11P safari.







Oct 01, 2026 at 07:13 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


EMH2025 wrote:
This is a lens I really like, and after having it on the Kanto repair shown above for a while I decided I was not that fond of the modern olive hood other than it is olive, so a vintage chrome FISON for Elmer 3.5 hood I found fixed that. Some vintage Leica hoods are rare, very expensive and difficult to find, this one, common and not that pricey and still in great shape. Now it looks right to me. Olive M3s originally were with the 2.8 collapsible Elmer, and that remains a great lens and also looks right on
...Show more →

Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you send your M3 to Kanto for that Safari paint or you bought the camera already painted?



Oct 01, 2026 at 06:23 PM
EMH2025
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you send your M3 to Kanto for that Safari paint or you bought the camera already painted?


It is my second M3, it is one that Bellemy Hunt, aka Japan Camera Hunter put in to Kanto in 2024, I mentioned to him a while ago I wanted just this camera and he already had one in progress, so it was mine, although I didn't wait the full two years as if I started it then. I already had a very minty chrome one, but there is room for one more, especially this one. Putting my two late model M3s that chrome one and the Kanto CLA I noted how much quieter the Kanto is which was Leica's shutter reputation, and it is more of a hair trigger, I need to get in the habit to wind the film just before the shot or I have an accidental shutter trip. It does look pretty side by side with M11P safari. Kanto does beautiful work and the paperwork showed it took 2 years for them to complete from submission.



Oct 01, 2026 at 07:02 PM
1       2       3       …       25              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       25              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account