New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              end

Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

I would like a full frame compact camera without spending $9000 on a Leica M11 body. I have a Sony RX100 P&S and a Panasonic 4/3 sensor LX100 and they are compact but with a single mounted zoom lens.

I shot with Leica cameras and lenses but with manual focus they were slow to operate and a lot of missed shots compared to a camera with a good autofocus system. The problem with the S9 is the lenses being provided are great for bloggers but not for general shooters.

The attraction of the Sony a7c is the many great Sony lenses available for the Sony mount. Their 100mm f/2.8 portrait/street lens is a digital version of the Nikon defocus control lenses for their DSLR cameras.

Having a full complement of Nikon lenses for my Z9 cameras the logical addition would be a Nikon Zf camera but I am drawn to the Sony as there are better "street" or people lens options than with Nikon.

May 24, 2024 at 06:42 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

elkhornsun wrote:
I would like a full frame compact camera without spending $9000 on a Leica M11 body. I have a Sony RX100 P&S and a Panasonic 4/3 sensor LX100 and they are compact but with a single mounted zoom lens.

I shot with Leica cameras and lenses but with manual focus they were slow to operate and a lot of missed shots compared to a camera with a good autofocus system. The problem with the S9 is the lenses being provided are great for bloggers but not for general shooters.

The attraction of the Sony a7c is the many great Sony
...Show more

I understand why you're making the comparison, but the 100GM's APD filter and secondary aperture (the STF lens design) are different both in operation and goal than the DC lenses. The Nikons allow you to make minor adjustments in element spacing to under or over correct SA, impacting both the appearance of sharpness in the focus plane and the bokeh behavior in front of and behind that plane. They accomplish this without any loss of transmission. The STF lenses are designed to give you soft round bokeh regardless of the shooting situation, but the APD filter does create a significant loss of transmission. The great news is that there's an adapter that will let you use AF/D lenses with AF on Sony cameras (Monster Adapter LA-FE2 Nikon F Lens to Sony E). Its pricey, but I'm thinking about picking one up because it's a hundred grams lighter than my Commelite adapter and I'm curious to see how it does with the 35-70/2.8 and 105DC. Maybe I'll wait for a better price or a used one.

Would the Zf be more attractive if you could mount Sigma's i-series lenses on it? It seems like that will come soon.

May 24, 2024 at 09:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

I mean, you can already use Sigma’s I series lenses on the Zf.

May 24, 2024 at 09:47 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

True, but don't you lose some functionality with the adapter? If native mounts are coming, it seems like it'd be worth the wait.

May 25, 2024 at 02:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

freaklikeme wrote:
True, but don't you lose some functionality with the adapter? If native mounts are coming, it seems like it'd be worth the wait.

Functionality? No. The Megadap translates all programmable buttons as well as use of aperture rings directly to Z bodies. The only question is one of AF speed and sureness, which varies by lens. Some lenses feel completely native, others can struggle a little. I use the Sony 50/1.2 GM and the Sigma 85/1.4 in E mount on my Z bodies. The Sony feels like a native lens. The Sigma does very well at wide apertures, and in good light at all apertures. It slows down and can hunt sometines if shooting in lower light stopped down.

May 25, 2024 at 06:59 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Jman13 wrote:
Functionality? No. The Megadap translates all programmable buttons as well as use of aperture rings directly to Z bodies. The only question is one of AF speed and sureness, which varies by lens. Some lenses feel completely native, others can struggle a little. I use the Sony 50/1.2 GM and the Sigma 85/1.4 in E mount on my Z bodies. The Sony feels like a native lens. The Sigma does very well at wide apertures, and in good light at all apertures. It slows down and can hunt sometines if shooting in lower light stopped down.

You're getting five-axis IBIS? I was under the impression Nikon wasn't allowing it with adapters (even their own FTZ).

May 25, 2024 at 08:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

freaklikeme wrote:
You're getting five-axis IBIS? I was under the impression Nikon wasn't allowing it with adapters (even their own FTZ).

I really have no way to tell for sure whether I'm getting 5 axis or 3 axis - it's not like there's an indicator. However, I just tried some tests with my 85/1.4 on the Zf, and I was getting several sharp shots as slow as 1 second handheld if braced, and 1/2 second if standing (a full 5 stops+). I usually can't do that on the 3-axis lenses at this focal length.

I don't deny that having Sigma glass on Nikon natively would be better - it almost certainly would be. AF would certainly be improved (again, my Sony 50GM doesn't have any AF issues, but the Sigma does need a lot of light on the Zf if you're stopped down). Also, I did notice that the Sigma 85 doesn't allow full time MF when on the Nikon. (My 50 GM does). So that is one small note of reduced functionality. My point was that if you did want to use Sigma i series lenses on the Zf, you can at the moment.

May 25, 2024 at 10:26 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Jman13 wrote:
I really have no way to tell for sure whether I'm getting 5 axis or 3 axis - it's not like there's an indicator. However, I just tried some tests with my 85/1.4 on the Zf, and I was getting several sharp shots as slow as 1 second handheld if braced, and 1/2 second if standing (a full 5 stops+). I usually can't do that on the 3-axis lenses at this focal length.

I don't deny that having Sigma glass on Nikon natively would be better - it almost certainly would be. AF would certainly be improved (again, my Sony
...Show more

That's cool and may be good news for elkhornsun. It sounds like he might be able to get near-native performance out of the 100GM.

May 25, 2024 at 04:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Jman13 wrote:
I mean, you can already use Sigma’s I series lenses on the Zf.

Using the Megadap AF adapter?

May 29, 2024 at 08:50 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Fred Miranda wrote:
Using the Megadap AF adapter?

Megadap ETZ21 Pro Sony E-Mount Lens to Nikon Z-Mount Autofocus Adapter

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1775841-REG/venus_optics_megadap_etz21pro_sony_e_mount.html

May 31, 2024 at 07:23 PM
tommmi

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

This is a bit contradictory question, but I have always had a bit of interest towards videography but at the same time never enjoyed it. I had a JVC camcorder like 20+ years ago, and after that numerous DSLRs and mirrorless cameras from different brands (Canon, Fuji, Leica, Ricoh, ...) with video capabilities but I have never actually enjoyed the process of taking video with them. Hard to focus both manual & auto, lots of background noises, auto-focus buzzing, lens stabilizer whirring, clunky to operate etc.

As the years have passed by and technology has certainly taken a giant leap within a few recent years, I'd like to try the world of video once again.

What would be a good choice for camera body in terms of video features only? I already have decent gear for photography, so that plays the minor part in this question. I have a bunch of M mount lenses which I would like to try to take videos with.

Should I go the Panasonic route with S9 or some other brand (& model)? How is it (S9) to operate manual focus lenses and maintain the focus? I'm in an understanding that S9 has a good in-body stabilisation.

I'm really looking for an all-in-one solution, I'm not wanting to buy an external stabilizer/cage-thing or external mic or any of this kind of stuff. I'd want it to be quick and easy to setup and use, but I also want quality in terms of color space, chroma subsampling and resolution. If this is an insolvable equation, I can happily wait another 10 years for technology to mature to meet my needs

Jun 01, 2024 at 01:39 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

fotografur wrote:
Megadap ETZ21 Pro Sony E-Mount Lens to Nikon Z-Mount Autofocus Adapter

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1775841-REG/venus_optics_megadap_etz21pro_sony_e_mount.html

Indeed, that's the one I was thinking of, and I've read good things about it. I am wondering if anyone has tried Loxia lenses with the ZF.

Jun 06, 2024 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.