New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end

Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

BPsmith511
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Struggling to find a situation other than long lenses (which add bulk to the body) where this is compelling vs a smart phone recording. And if you are into quality and accessories, for a few hundred more there are many, many more compelling options for video.

It's filling an odd spot that no one seemed to be asking for, but props to Panasonic for stepping outside the box and trying.

May 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

The PetaPixel review is kinda brutal to it. Refreshing to see that honesty.

May 22, 2024 at 01:33 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

When I first saw the leaked images of this camera and it's dial deck, I had visions of an ILC Q-style camera. I figured with the "L" alliance and the coop between Leica and Panny it would make it a possibility. Wasn't expecting another selfie camera.

Oh well.

May 22, 2024 at 01:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

TL2 ... gets a boost to FF

May 22, 2024 at 02:12 PM
Ihmemies2

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Does it at least have a thin filter stack for M mount lenses?

May 22, 2024 at 02:14 PM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

As someone who owns both a Panasonic S1 and S1R and is still impressed by them, and as a fan of the L-mount I think this camera misses the mark in a big way. If you're a "content creator" there are already dozens of low-cost ways to make videos "good enough" without a $1700 price tag.

If you wanted a portable, high-quality still camera I think you'd be better off with a Canon EOS-M camera something from Fuji or Sony. For full-frame "pocketable" the Sony RX1/RX1RII still haven't been beat (EVF, pancake 35mm lens).

As someone else in DPreview pointed out, even the Sigma FP/FP-L are actually smaller and lighter weight L-mount cameras than the S9.

Missed opportunity!

May 22, 2024 at 02:32 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Panasonic has recognized the market that everyone else has missed. The need for a blue, green, red or black FF interchangeable lens mirrorless camera that does not have a viewfinder.

Kudos Panasonic, kudos.

May 22, 2024 at 03:41 PM
pointbob
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Xavier Rival wrote:
The absence of EVF is quite bizarre. Any chance an external one would work ?
(Leica makes external EVFs that can be mounted on a hot shoe, but I do not take compatibility as granted since there is no standard for that, as far as I know)

yes. huge disappointment.

May 22, 2024 at 04:19 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

slrl0ver wrote:
As someone else in DPreview pointed out, even the Sigma FP/FP-L are actually smaller and lighter weight L-mount cameras than the S9.

Missed opportunity!

Yes, but video is much more cumbersome on the fp than it will be on the S9. I think this camera is designed mainly to appeal to people who want to shoot-and-share as easily and quickly as they can with a smartphone, but with better quality so their photos and video stand out from the crowd (who are all using their phones).

The lack of EVF won't be a concern for people who are used to shooting with their phones, neither will the 10-15 minute video limits since they'll just be shooting short clips for posting on Instagram, Facebook, etc.

The lack of a mechanical shutter might be an issue for people doing concert and other event photography with LED stage lighting, and flicker in video might be a problem unless the camera can detect flicker and automatically adjust shutter speed to reduce/eliminate it.

May 22, 2024 at 04:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

nehemiahphoto wrote:
This is a portable video camera, not really a stills centric camera. I donít think Panny can or is interested in being competitive in the stills segment. Judging/being annoyed by this for itís lack of photo features doesnít really make sense. The Sony EV-E1 is the same. You wouldnít use that as a still camera either unless quite secondarily.

It feels about as desperate as the ZV-E1. "Please, content creators, put aside your phones and buy our cameras and lenses! Trust us. They're better. Look at all that beautiful bokeh!"

I'll be surprised if the LUT button and customization options are the big selling points Panasonic's marketing wants them to be. I haven't touched one, so I'm trying not to judge too harshly, but this feels more like a curiosity that will find a weirdly dedicated fanbase who will complain loudly when Panasonic gives up on it.

May 22, 2024 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SlowDriver
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

No need to mince words, epic failure...

May 22, 2024 at 05:53 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

The reactions in this thread just confirm what a stupid decision getting rid of the Leica CL line was. This isn't a still shooters camera and look at the visceral reaction.

Just by the colours available I can tell this isn't aimed at someone like me. But I hope it does well.

Gordon

May 22, 2024 at 05:56 PM
Srin_aith
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

A full frame CL with good specs is what is needed from the L-mount camp.

This camera disappoints photographers due to lack of EVF, cold shoe, no tilt screen and electronic only shutter.
It fails videographers due to recording time limits and cold shoe (canít use the XLR audio options that Panasonic produces)

May 22, 2024 at 06:10 PM
jlo512

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

bjhurley wrote:
There is HDMI out, so certainly an external monitor could be attached; if any EVFs can run on an HDMI signal that might be a solution. That said, I have no idea if that's possible.

Yeah, it still doesnít seem congruent ó like why use an external monitor for something billed as a travel cam? Interesting decisions by Panasonic

May 22, 2024 at 06:24 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

No hot shoe for the day they offer an EVF is what told me "no thanks".

May 22, 2024 at 06:33 PM
quasitime

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

I actually prefer optical viewfinders, which is why I briefly tried out the X100V. I mostly stick to film bodies now and the D780, out of that preference.

My frustration is watching the market shrink yet seeing all this R&D go towards odd decisions. Or maybe there's a market for this and it's just not me.

May 22, 2024 at 08:41 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

bjhurley wrote:
Yes, but video is much more cumbersome on the fp than it will be on the S9.

FP users here. I'd chose the FP for video over this thing any day any time.

May 22, 2024 at 09:06 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

MAubrey wrote:

Oh believe me, I would too. But most casual users would not, because the fp doesn't have mechanical IBIS, no articulating screen, and requires mounting an external SSD for the highest-quality video recording. And the S9 seems clearly aimed at casual users for easy shooting of photos and videos with no need for post processing, straight from camera to phone to social media.

I also agree that it'll likely be a flop, but mainly because using a phone for this stuff is even easier, everyone in this target market already knows how to shoot photos and video with their phone, and for most people it wouldn't be worth forking over this amount of money just to get a bit more attention on social media for photos and videos that look better than what everyone else is posting with their phones. As phones continue to get better, cameras like this get less and less relevant.

May 23, 2024 at 06:36 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

MAubrey wrote:

I can't see many traditional photographers or videographers going for the S9 in any major way. There are already Plenty of very capable cameras small and large available for that market and surely more to come.

The S9 features or lack of traditional feature set is IMO directed toward that other but growing in numbers for some years now segment of the market that don't seem to hang out in photography forums.

May 23, 2024 at 07:03 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Panasonic Announces Ultra-Compact Full-Frame LUMIX S9

Desmolicious wrote:
Manual focusing M lenses with a back screen is not a fun idea.

At f/8 and 26mm, it shouldn't be a problem.

May 23, 2024 at 07:21 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.