Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I wanted a backup for my Leica M10-R and MP and was choosing between an M9 and an M-D. I went with the M-D, and I'm thoroughly enjoying using it. It doesn't have a menu system, buttons, Auto ISO, or a screen... It's quite similar to my MP, except the shutter speed dial rotates in the "right" direction. It feels a lot like shooting with an M7 because of the same shutter dial rotation direction and "A" aperture priority.

I've always wondered why Leica changed this since it worked so well with the M6 TTL and M7 film cameras. My guess is that people who were used to the earlier Leica M film bodies complained too much.

May 15, 2024 at 02:51 PM
ottokbre
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I can only comment on the 262 part. But mine is the one with the screen. lol

May 15, 2024 at 03:26 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I am curious,

Does the m-d accepts visoflex ? And if it does, can one use the evf to check results of the picture ?

I know it undermines the purpose of the m-d, but just as a curiosity

Fred Miranda wrote:
I wanted a backup for my Leica M10-R and MP and was deciding between an M9 and an M-D. I picked up the latter and I'm loving shooting with it. No menu system, no buttons, no Auto ISO, no screen... The closest thing to my MP, except that the shutter speed dial rotates in the "wrong" direction. I've never understood why Leica changed this since it worked great with the M6 TTL and M7 film cameras. I'm guessing those used to the M2, M3 and M4 complained too much.

May 15, 2024 at 04:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

hanay78 wrote:
I am curious,

Does the m-d accepts visoflex ? And if it does, can one use the evf to check results of the picture ?

I know it undermines the purpose of the m-d, but just as a curiosity

The Leica M-D doesn't have LiveView, so you can't use a Visoflex EVF. It also lacks Wi-Fi, unlike the Leica M10-D, so you can't preview your images, making it feel more like shooting with film.

There is a workaround, but it's inconvenient: you can use an SD card to phone connection adapter. However, you need to remove the bottom plate of the camera to access the card. The image preview quality is low, but you can download the DNG files to LR Mobile or Apple Photos for better quality viewing. I forgot to mention that the M-D only shoots in DNG format (no JPEGs) and white balance is only Auto.

The primary controls include ISO, adjusted using the dial on the back rather than the screen, shutter speed on the top plate, and aperture on the lens itself. Also, there's a custom button dedicated to exposure compensation, which is available when in "A" (Aperture Priority) mode. You can also access battery level, remaining shots, and date/time on the OVF using this custom button.

This makes it quite similar to shooting with a Leica M7.

May 15, 2024 at 04:45 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Wish I we're shooting with one.. Sounds interesting..

May 15, 2024 at 05:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

M_Wales wrote:
Wish I we're shooting with one.. Sounds interesting..

In my opinion, most photographers who are accustomed to tons of electronic features and haven't shot film might not appreciate these limitations. However, a smaller group will embrace them and may even enhance their photography skills. The fact that this camera was only produced for two years (discontinued in 2018) and likely had around 1500 units sold suggests there's a specific niche market for it.

May 15, 2024 at 05:57 PM
ottokbre
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

OK, since I am partway there: I love the output on the M262 sensor. I love pushing filmic native DNG files. It will clip highlights more than it's full frame contemporaries so I tend to meter -1/3 stop. But this is something that has generally been overstated. You just can't expect it to be almost totally recoverable like a Sony A7 or Nikon D from that era.

With no screen on the back and no C41 film soaking up the rays you can't be reckless with it. But if you are looking for a film camera replacement you are probably slowing down anyways (or doing a lot of pre-exposure/pre-focus anticipation like you do with a film rangefinder).

Color output seems more corrected for magenta than the M240. I don't miss live view. My muscle memory just brings my eye up to the VF and I'm fine with 28mm frame lines (Only time I ever miss live view is from a mirrorless because it's seamless).

May 15, 2024 at 07:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

ottokbre wrote:
OK, since I am partway there: I love the output on the M262 sensor. I love pushing filmic native DNG files. It will clip highlights more than it's full frame contemporaries so I tend to meter -1/3 stop. But this is something that has generally been overstated. You just can't expect it to be almost totally recoverable like a Sony A7 or Nikon D from that era.

With no screen on the back and no C41 film soaking up the rays you can't be reckless with it. But if you are looking for a film camera replacement you are probably
...Show more

My journey into the Leica world started with an M240 Black Paint camera. It was stunning, and after about a year, I "upgraded" to the M10. Then, I tried the M10-P, M10-R, M11, and eventually went back to the M10-R, which is my overall favorite.

I used to recommend the M10 as the first Leica, but it's pricey. Plus, its battery life isn't as good as the M240 series, which lasts more than 2 times longer. With the M-D, battery life is absolutely incredible since there are fewer electronics draining power. I've only charged it once, and after 8 days of continuous shooting and testing, it's still at 50%!

Regarding image quality, I am actually thrilled with it. There is less highlight recovery compared to the M10, but as long as I expose well using the built-in meter, I'm not seeing any loss of highlight data. It's like shooting with slide film where images can't be too overexposed. In high contrast light, I also try underexposing by 1/2 stop just to be on the safe side, but I mostly shoot in lower contrast light, so it's not much of a concern. The colors look great to me, and with the help of the latest noise reduction software, I can easily shoot at ISO 6400 with very low noise and natural results.

I have only taken test shots so far, checking the RF alignment and sensor output. Here are some samples:

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 28mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar lens    28mm    f/3.4    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 28mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar lens    28mm    f/3.4    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/2.4    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar lens    50mm    f/4.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar lens    50mm    f/2.4    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH. lens    90mm    f/2.8    1/750s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH. lens    90mm    f/3.4    1/350s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar lens    50mm    f/3.4    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 15, 2024 at 09:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I personally love the M 240-based sensor - it's color gamut is fantastic! I cannot comment on the specific M-D 262 though since I never felt too intrigued by it. Currently using my M-E 240 for color and MM 246 for B&W photography which does everything I need for digital so far.

Regarding the rotation of the shutter speed dial. I agree that it can be cumbersome when using cameras with different dial rotations in parallel - for example the M6 non-TTL and the M7. I remember to read that Leica changed the dial rotation to align with the rotational direction of M-lens apertures - which I never saw a connection with especially when using differently branded M or LTM lenses with different aperture directions.

May 16, 2024 at 07:26 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I likewise appreciate the sensor in the 240, it's distinctive from my Sony cameras and the files are very pleasant in their own way. High ISO is nothing to write home about, but the new AI noise reduction software does the job when needed. I feel like the M9 has a bit of cult status and the M10 gets attention for being more modern so the 240/262 series make a nice entry for those who are Leica curious.

I could probably live without the rear screen, I don't recall ever using liveview, but I don't think I would ever seek out a M-D series. At the same time I think those of you who are shooting film are at least mildly insane

May 16, 2024 at 09:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Did we make a "Digital is not Dead" forum?

May 16, 2024 at 11:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Desmolicious wrote:
Did we make a "Digital is not Dead" forum?

Thread is cross-posted both in the film and Alt forums. Therefore both comments from digital and film perspective

May 16, 2024 at 12:58 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

retrofocus wrote:
Thread is cross-posted both in the film and Alt forums. Therefore both comments from digital and film perspective

I was being a brat.

May 16, 2024 at 01:59 PM
cyberguru65
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

I think the M-D 262 is the epitome of the Leica motto "Das Wesentliche" (to eliminate all distractions and to concentrate on the essentials). I didn't know it at the time, but when I first purchased my M8 back in 2009, going from a Canon 5D DSLR with zoom AF lenses to an all manual prime lens on an RF body changed me for the better as a photographer. fast forward 15 years and many different systems, I've recently sold my previous digital Leica rangefinders and settled and limited myself with the M-D and 50mm for my everyday personal photography. It's not for everyone or every situation so I pair it with my SL2-S for client work or when I need AF (events/kids/sports etc.) To me, the M-D sensor is amazing for B&W and has a bit more vibrant colors compared to the M8.2 CCD sensor but still has an organic and less clinical (modern cmos) rendering compared to the M10. With the screen and video capabilities removed, the M240's battery life on the M-D will last for days. I'm guilty of G.A.S. so this is my way of limiting my gear and options along with continuing my growth in photography.

Enjoy your M-D Fred. Looking forward to hear your long term experiences with the M-D.

Edited on May 17, 2024 at 01:08 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2024 at 02:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

retrofocus wrote:
I personally love the M 240-based sensor - it's color gamut is fantastic! I cannot comment on the specific M-D 262 though since I never felt too intrigued by it. Currently using my M-E 240 for color and MM 246 for B&W photography which does everything I need for digital so far.

Regarding the rotation of the shutter speed dial. I agree that it can be cumbersome when using cameras with different dial rotations in parallel - for example the M6 non-TTL and the M7. I remember to read that Leica changed the dial rotation to align with the rotational
...Show more

I find the M262 color output to be vibrant and pleasant. Although I don't have a M240 to compare side by side, I'm sure they are more similar than different. Their sensors are not identical since the M-D's sensor lacks live view and video capabilities, so perhaps it was tweaked. While the colors are not as accurate as those of the M11, they are aesthetically pleasing. For example, blues have a hint of cyan and reds/oranges are extra saturated. It even works well with skin tones, but I think the M10 does slightly better straight out of the camera.

The black and whites are fantastic, thanks to its weaker IR filtration compared to the M10 and M11 sensors. While better IR filtration provides greater color accuracy with less infrared contamination, the M262's weaker IR filter gives its color output more character and enhances black and white tonality. It is also better suited for infrared photography.

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar lens    50mm    f/3.4    1/350s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M-D (Typ 262)    Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar lens    50mm    f/2.4    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 16, 2024 at 02:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

formula4speed wrote:
I likewise appreciate the sensor in the 240, it's distinctive from my Sony cameras and the files are very pleasant in their own way. High ISO is nothing to write home about, but the new AI noise reduction software does the job when needed. I feel like the M9 has a bit of cult status and the M10 gets attention for being more modern so the 240/262 series make a nice entry for those who are Leica curious.

I could probably live without the rear screen, I don't recall ever using liveview, but I don't think I would ever seek out
...Show more

I hear you about the insanity comment. I never thought I would be shooting film in 2024, but now I'm hooked. I love everything about it, from taking pictures to developing and scanning the film myself. It's just fun for me.

Regarding the high ISO performance of the M240, 262, and M-D, it's actually pretty good. It's not too different from what I see with my Leica Q2 and SL2 files. Like you mentioned, the newest AI noise reduction software is incredible to the point where it's not even a concern. I managed to get some banding when pushing a 6400 ISO file by a stop, and the Lightroom noise reduction removed it! In fact, the noise reduction is so effective that I find myself adding some noise back to the images!

May 16, 2024 at 07:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The black and whites are fantastic, thanks to its weaker IR filtration compared to the M10 and M11 sensors. While better IR filtration provides greater color accuracy with less infrared contamination, the M262's weaker IR filter gives its color output more character and enhances black and white tonality. It is also better suited for infrared photography.

It is one reason why I especially like the MM 246 but it also works moderately well with the M 240 for IR photography. Not much documentation about this, but the MM 246 is due to its weaker IR filter very suitable for this photography. Even I have my IR-converted Canon 5D MkII camera, I am now mostly using the unmodified MM 246 for IR. With a bit higher ISO, I can take nice handheld IR photos with the MM 246. The MM 246 has a wider higher ISO range it can be used at compared to the M 240, and this difference is an advantage here. I suspect that the monochrome M10 and M11 cameras have thicker IR filters on the sensor and will be more cumbersome to use for IR especially handheld. I will post some IR photos I took recently with the MM246 soon!

May 17, 2024 at 07:17 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

FYI there is a M-D 262 back on MPB

Second one i've seen on there, I'm tempted but having just come into the M system with a 240 I think I should wait...

May 29, 2024 at 05:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Does anyone use the Toshiba FlashAir SD card with the Leica M-D? Is it worth it?

May 30, 2024 at 05:06 PM
cyberguru65
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone shooting with the Leica M-D Type 262?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Does anyone use the Toshiba FlashAir SD card with the Leica M-D? Is it worth it?

[Re-post from another thread for visibility here, in case it helps others)
I purchased a couple  8gb w-03 flashair sd cards last year and it did not work on my m-d.  I just tried again on my old fuji x20 and it did work but a bit slow in the transfer per file.  I usually just use a SD to usbc adapter for my android phone when I want to transfer the entire card to my phone to process using mobile lightroom.  Much faster !!

I would try again on my m-d but sadly now my m-d is not working. Locks up when writing to the SD card or does not recognize the SD card. I tried formatting 4 different cards with no luck.   I just contacted Leica and will be sending the m-d for service.

I may have a couple new still in the box flashairs. if you want one, pm me your address and i will send it out to you for free.

May 30, 2024 at 10:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.