New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Alan Parker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

SAR is putting more pictures out there about the new Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II lens.

- Optically improved (better color rendition and sharpness)
- Lighter and a tiny bit more compact
- 82mm filter size
- Aperture ring
- Inner focusing
- L and E mount
- May 16 announcement

Looks like a great upgrade, but I think that would make it the first internal zooming 24-70? If that's what they mean by inner focusing. I guess we'll see when the annoucement comes.

Edited on May 16, 2024 at 07:51 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2024 at 10:01 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

you posted "Inner focusing" not internal zooming, those are different things.

doesnt seem to have a meaningful difference in size, maybe it's lighter? The old lens was pretty darn good, and while it can use some improvements with focus breathing, it looks like the aperture ring is nice, the custom button probably two points, not a huge update to a really good lens.

May 07, 2024 at 10:07 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Charlie N wrote:
you posted "Inner focusing" not internal zooming, those are different things.

doesnt seem to have a meaningful difference in size, maybe it's lighter? The old lens was pretty darn good, and while it can use some improvements with focus breathing, it looks like the aperture ring is nice, the custom button probably two points, not a huge update to a really good lens.

I was perhaps too hopeful. It looks like a nice quality of life upgrade. I might treat myself to it if it's a big enough upgrade. I love my Sigma 24-70, but I always miss having an aperture ring.

May 07, 2024 at 10:09 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Hopefully they'll address the significant tilted-element sample variation of the current generation.

May 07, 2024 at 10:55 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

I know from experience (24-70 GM II) that 24-70/2.8 zooms in general are difficult to design/construct and are notorious for sample variation. If one has a sharp version 1 of the 24-70 Sigma DG DN then whether a new version 2 actually out performs it optically is a crap shoot. The internal focusing remark by the Sony Rumors guy was strange...If he meant internal zooming that would move the needle for a whole bunch of people.

May 07, 2024 at 11:15 AM
foto16
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Looks still large, but ok if you don't walk all day with it around the neck. For a travel standard zoom, I like the Sigma 28-70/2.8. it is relatively lightweight, covers a useful range, and has f2.8.

May 07, 2024 at 11:52 AM
ketang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Alan Parker wrote:
SAR is putting more pictures out there about the new Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II lens.

- Optically improved (better color rendition and sharpness)
- Lighter and a tiny bit more compact
- 82mm filter size
- Aperture ring
- Inner focusing
- L and E mount
- May 16 announcement

Looks like a great upgrade, but I think that would make it the first internal zooming 24-70? If that's what they mean by inner focusing. I guess we'll see when the annoucement comes.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/700px3.jpg

I'm interested in this lens, but I have a golden copy of the v1 and I won't be selling without testing side by side. As another commenter mentioned, it can be a crap shoot with 24-70s. I got burned trying to upgrade the Sony GM I to the Sony GM II and ended up getting the Sigma after not being able to find a good copy.

For me, internal zoom is not necessarily a plus because the length of the lens is usually longer and it takes up more space in a bag. Mainly I would like a lighter lens that also has better MFD and close-up performance at 70mm, which was one key strength of the Sony GM II vs. all other 24-70s I've used. I don't really need better sharpness in the 24-50mm range particularly at infinity, the current lens is totally sufficient. That said, if it's better I'll take it.

May 07, 2024 at 12:05 PM
tschopp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

My biggest complaints with the lens were the focus accuracy and the size and weight. I assume this will be getting the new linear motors. hopefully they will trim off some weight as well.

I ended up keeping the Tamron 28-75G2 instead of the Sigma.

May 07, 2024 at 02:01 PM
huangyu84

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

The original version is a little too heavey. Hopfully they can make the version 2 noticably lighter but with that heavy front element using 82mm filter I highly doubt it.

May 07, 2024 at 08:27 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

If this is as good as the 14-24, I'm interested.

May 07, 2024 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave Sanders
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

huangyu84 wrote:
The original version is a little too heavey. Hopfully they can make the version 2 noticably lighter but with that heavy front element using 82mm filter I highly doubt it.

Sony did; the GMII has an 82mm filter thread and comes in at just under 700g, almost a 200g drop from the original. The Sigma is currently lighter than both the original GM and the current Canon RF, so already not too bad. If Sigma drops 70 or so grams and gets theirs to 750 or so, that's pretty good. 100g? Even better.

I was very close to buying the first version, so even if the performance is the same as the current version, the addition of the aperture ring and the price alone makes it a serious contender for me. Improved performance and lighter weight is just gravy, as they say

May 08, 2024 at 01:43 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

If the rumored specs pan out, it’s only a hair heavier and larger than the GM II.

May 10, 2024 at 12:07 PM
pierrep69

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Lens type: Zoom
Focal type: Multi-purpose
Sensor coverage: Full frame
Aperture range: F2.8 – F22
Optical construction: 19 elements, 15 groups
Minimum focusing distance: 17 – 34 cm
Filter or cap diameter: 82 mm
Dimensions (Sony E): 87.8 x 122.2 mm
Weight (Sony E): 735 g
Available in E and L-Mount mounts.
Price: 1.349€

(SAR quote: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-full-specs-of-the-new-sigma-24-70mm-f2-8-dg-dn-ii-art-three-times-faster-af/)

That's 735g, really close to the Sony (695g). And mfd seems almost on par.

May 10, 2024 at 01:16 PM
Newenglandrocks
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

I've been traveling for the last three weeks in NZ and Japan. I got the Tamron 28-200 for trips like the one I am taking now, and as soon as I acquired the Tamron two and a half years ago, I relegated the Sigma v1 to event work. I've seen quite a few Sony shooters lugging these beasts around - both the GMII and the Sigma. Yikes! They look massive and I can't imagine lugging one around while traveling, even at 700g.

That said, I love the output of the v1, but mine gets used so little, I cannot see a meaningful reason to upgrade. I'm a hobbyist who shoots a couple events per year, so I will stay on the sidelines for this one.

May 10, 2024 at 01:49 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

also hope version ii will have better sealing...version 1 is notorious for attracting internal dusts

May 10, 2024 at 02:04 PM
ketang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

It looks like the design has the same number of elements and groups, but it mentions two additional aspherical elements. I'm no lens designer so it's hard for me to understand how new the design might be, but again I am very satisfied with the current design except for 70mm at MFD where things soften up and there is some LoCA.

May 10, 2024 at 04:15 PM
newdom
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Thang wrote:
also hope version ii will have better sealing...version 1 is notorious for attracting internal dusts

This was a faulty batch that was repaired by Sigma, and the problem fixed in subsequent batches.

I rarely use zooms, but I'm always surprised looking back over photos that a lot of the ones that jump out at me are from the Sigma mk1 - the IQ is really fantastic!

May 10, 2024 at 04:21 PM
SNJOps
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Looks to be a decent update to an already very good lens, be interesting to see how it does with the mentioned improvement to colour rendering.

May 10, 2024 at 05:11 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

newdom wrote:
This was a faulty batch that was repaired by Sigma, and the problem fixed in subsequent batches.

I rarely use zooms, but I'm always surprised looking back over photos that a lot of the ones that jump out at me are from the Sigma mk1 - the IQ is really fantastic!

That’s good to know thx

Copy I had was from very early batch

May 10, 2024 at 06:21 PM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN II

Apparently a reviewer from India released his review too soon; YouTube has deleted it though.

May 15, 2024 at 02:30 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.