New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Leica 6-bit code template tool

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I've experimented with several 6-bit code templates and finally found the most precise and durable one to date. This template must be 3D printed, so if you have access to a 3D printer or know someone who does, I highly recommend it.

You can download it here: https://www.printables.com/model/857677-leica-m-mount-6bit-lens-coding-template

This template, meticulously crafted by @yukosteel from scratch, perfectly matches my Leica 6-bit coded lenses, as well as previously coded Voigtlander and Zeiss M-lenses.

Apr 26, 2024 at 02:13 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Nice! I still have my Mach Technical Kit from a decade ago. Surprising Cosina hasn't seen an opportunity to make their own.

Gordon

Apr 26, 2024 at 03:54 PM
psyclism

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Gotta find a way to print this. Found a company online called Xometry.com that will print and ship via Fedex 2 day for $6.

Ordered a copy and if anyone is interested in the success of this source, say so and I'll update the thread with my results. Should get the results on Friday.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:43 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

psyclism wrote:
Gotta find a way to print this. Found a company online called Xometry.com that will print and ship via Fedex 2 day for $6.

Ordered a copy and if anyone is interested in the success of this source, say so and I'll update the thread with my results. Should get the results on Friday.

Iím interested.

Apr 28, 2024 at 04:33 AM
Vetteman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I uploaded the file that @yukosteel@ generously shared with us to Xometry.com on Friday 4/26/24. Creating the order was simple and straightforward. The cost for the part was $8.50 + $.51 tax for a total cost of $9.01. This included FedEx Priority Overnight Shipping

The part was printed on 4/30/24 and shipped the same day. It was delivered this morning.

What about the printed piece? It's perfect! I placed it on a 28mm Elmarit to check alignment of the codes and it is spot on perfect.

@yukosteel@ thanks for taking the time to design the part and for sharing it with us. And a great experience with Xometry.com!

May 01, 2024 at 01:23 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Awesome news. I just ordered one!

May 01, 2024 at 07:11 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Looks like they printed template with quite good quality and precision. Thanks to Fred for testing my first draft on his 3D printer and Leica lens, which lead to fine tuning of the mount lock pin for more precise fit.

May 01, 2024 at 10:16 PM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Me too!

Thank you to all who have contributed to make this possible, and provide this information for our use!

May 03, 2024 at 12:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

davidrwilliams wrote:
Me too!

Thank you to all who have contributed to make this possible, and provide this information for our use!

The best thing about this template is that it will last a long time, and you can paint the lens' mount while it's attached. Steve @1bwana1 very kindly produced a hard paper one that worked great, but unfortunately, paper has its limitations with longevity.

I don't regret buying a 3D printer as suggested by Yuri. I can print so many accessories for photography, and it's fun to learn to design your own accessories like filter, adapters, etc.. For $200, it's a lot of fun!

May 03, 2024 at 02:36 PM
m1k3e

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Thanks so much for sharing this! Going to try getting one printed at Xometry.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this for a long time, I think I'm finally ready. Any recommendations on paint?

May 04, 2024 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vetteman
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

m1k3e wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing this! Going to try getting one printed at Xometry.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this for a long time, I think I'm finally ready. Any recommendations on paint?

This works the best IMO. It's permanent, simple, and easy.

May 04, 2024 at 04:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Vetteman wrote:
This works the best IMO. It's permanent, simple, and easy.

Yes, that's the pen I recommend as well. The matte black paint is recognized by the Leica 6-bit reader.

May 04, 2024 at 04:56 PM
m1k3e

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, that's the pen I recommend as well. The matte black paint is recognized by the Leica 6-bit reader.

Thank you both for the recommendation! Going to give this a shot, Iíll comment with some pictures when itís complete.

May 05, 2024 at 02:40 PM
Massinissa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Fred Miranda wrote:
The best thing about this template is that it will last a long time, and you can paint the lens' mount while it's attached. Steve @1bwana1@ very kindly produced a hard paper one that worked great, but unfortunately, paper has its limitations with longevity.

I don't regret buying a 3D printer as suggested by Yuri. I can print so many accessories for photography, and it's fun to learn to design your own accessories like filter, adapters, etc.. For $200, it's a lot of fun!

Would you mind to share the 3D printer model?
Thanks

May 06, 2024 at 06:19 AM
psyclism

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I tried the Sharpie oil based pen this weekend, and those "worked", but man was it a difficult process. And messy. The paint is very fragile and can scratch/wipe off easily. I'm going to order one of these Uniball pens instead.

What's different between these Uniball pens and a standard Sharpie?

Fred Miranda wrote:

May 06, 2024 at 09:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

psyclism wrote:
I tried the Sharpie oil based pen this weekend, and those "worked", but man was it a difficult process. And messy. The paint is very fragile and can scratch/wipe off easily. I'm going to order one of these Uniball pens instead.

What's different between these Uniball pens and a standard Sharpie?

The regular Sharpie black has a bit of shine, reflecting light onto the Leica 6-bit reader, which makes it not work properly. On the other hand, the Uniball's black is flat and matches Leica's coding black. I use a ultra-thin Sharpie to draw the square shape's outline, then fill it in with the Uniball for a clean finish.

May 06, 2024 at 09:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Massinissa wrote:
Would you mind to share the 3D printer model?
Thanks

Sure, it's this one: https://www.elegoo.com/products/elegoo-neptune-3-pro-fdm-3d-printer-225x225x280mm
Currently only $189.

May 06, 2024 at 09:21 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

@fredmiranda

Thanks for sharing! I just ordered one as well. Appreciate this post and for Yuko making this available.

May 06, 2024 at 10:03 AM
Massinissa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Fred Miranda wrote:
The regular Sharpie black has a bit of shine, reflecting light onto the Leica 6-bit reader, which makes it not work properly. On the other hand, the Uniball's black is flat and matches Leica's coding black. I use a ultra-thin Sharpie to draw the square shape's outline, then fill it in with the Uniball for a clean finish.

i read that also Tamiya sharpies are quite good but maybe more expensive.

May 07, 2024 at 09:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I just 6-bit coded my Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nokton Lens to read as a Leica 50/1 Noct, and it worked perfectly using this template:

So, "ultra-thin" sharpie to draw the square edges with precision and the "Uniball" pen painted in the middle of the square.

May 07, 2024 at 10:45 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.