New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Leica 6-bit code template tool

serhan_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I ordered the print from Shapeway with Yuri's 3D X100VI 49mm adapter, since there is no black color option with Xometry. Shapeway has mixed reviews and charge for color and shipping. I will see how it will turn out.

Edited on May 11, 2024 at 10:25 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2024 at 09:57 AM
Thury

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I went back to check the pictures of the codes and there was a typo in the code for the Summicron-M 28mm/2.0 ASPH (II) The right one is 011010 same as the other Summicron-M 28 ASPH (not 001100 as previously indicated). I'll edit the original text table to set this right.
Only 2 lenses now share the same code and both are reissues: Thambar 90 and Summilux 35 steel rim.

Edited on May 11, 2024 at 10:18 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2024 at 10:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I recently acquired a Leica M-D Typ 262, but some of my previously coded lenses aren't recognized by its 6-bit scanner. I plan to remove the existing code (which can be done easily with acetone or alcohol) and recode them using Yuri's 6-bit template. I've heard that earlier models, like the M9 and M240, are more particular about coding.

As for the concern about whether 6-bit coding can damage the mount scanner, I don't believe this would happen with Cosina lenses (Voigtlander or Zeiss ZM) since they feature a clever recessed indentation for the code, which never comes into contact with the mount. Simply ensure to clean the paint outside the recessed area, allow it to dry, and rotate the rear cap a few times on the lens before attaching it to the camera. Avoid applying code directly to your Leica lens mount, as the mount is flat and the paint could potentially smear onto the 6-bit scanner.

May 11, 2024 at 10:09 AM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Thury wrote:
I have not yet found good pictures of the Thambar and Summarit 90mm/2.4

I only found so far

this auction with mount pictured, and it has 001100 code. It looks realistic.

May 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM
Thury

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

yukosteel wrote:
I only found so far

this auction with mount pictured, and it has 001100 code. It looks realistic.

I found some pictures of the Thambar, the more easy to read is probably
Foto Köberl. The code appears as "001100".

Apart from a few very old lenses that were never produced with 6bit codes and could only have been converted, I found pictures of every lens, mostly on leica and affiliated shops secondhand listings and spent some time checking them. For the few old lenses left, the codes are those from La Vida Leica a few years ago.

May 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

That's incredibly valuable research done Thury, thank you very much! I was looking for good updated list of 6bit codes and could not find one. Yeah, checking the listings with real pictures is helping to close the gaps.

After you mentioned 6bit system limitations I'm very curious to see what Leica will do with future lenses coding.

May 11, 2024 at 02:44 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Published modified V2D template - added hole near 6bits, when set 3 wall lines and 0.3mm line width - print starts from the hole and moving to 6bit sockets, providing more clean sockets print

May 12, 2024 at 03:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

yukosteel wrote:
Published modified V2D template - added hole near 6bits, when set 3 wall lines and 0.3mm line width - print starts from the hole and moving to 6bit sockets, providing more clean sockets print

I've just printed the latest design (V2D) using the same printer settings as before, and indeed, the 6-bit code holes are wider and cleaner with my PLA printer. It's a nice improvement.

May 13, 2024 at 10:53 AM
cypressblend

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Thank you all for sharing the blueprint, 3d printing website, and the pen!

I just tried to code my voigtlander lens yesterday and it was really frustrating using just tape. And it does not always work because I assume my marker pen made some reflection. Will try the stuff recommended.

I do have another question regarding the uni pen. Will it come off using some rubbing alcohol? Just in case I need to resell it or marked the wrong code.

May 16, 2024 at 11:36 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I didn't try that pen, but CV mount is very durable, if alcohol doesn't work, use drop of acetone.

May 16, 2024 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

You can use 99% isopropyl alcohol or acetone to remove Uni pen paint, Sharpie, or any other paint. The mount will look like new.

May 16, 2024 at 11:49 PM
ksrhee2405

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I just wanted to say thanks to Yukosteel and others on this forum who shared information. I got the template and the Uni pen, and viola, everything is working great. All my non-Leica lenses (mostly Voigtlander) are working perfectly. It's so convenient not having to remember manually to set the lens type! Thanks again!

May 17, 2024 at 06:19 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I got mine today from Shapeway. There was no notification of shipment. Black color on adapter is matching to Yukosteel's 3D X100VI 49mm adapter. Thank you very much.

Order date 5/10
Ship date 5/17
Received 5/20

May 20, 2024 at 09:01 PM
Andrew CD
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

yukosteel wrote:
V2C_II should work for coding, the main challenge is if mount surface is flat - there is no way for paint to stay, it will be scratched off when mounting. Voigtlander lenses have mount groove which helps to address that.

---------------------------------------------

yukosteel wrote:
That's a good question. It looks visually that Leica 6bit sensor of M10/M11 is covered with glass with some sort of coating. Unless the paint is abrasive or has some glue in it it should be safe for 6bit sensor, but you may experiment with applying paint to inexpensive lens filter, then wiping it with isopropyl alcohol or acetone to see the impact on the coating.

Technically if thin layer is applied into Voigtlander mount groove, you should be able to mount/dismount without paint interacting with 6bit sensor. If paint migrate to mount edges it's important to wipe it out, then
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

This is all incredibly helpful. A friend who has a 3D printer is going to try printing one of these templates for me.

What I’d actually like to do is apply the correct codes to the three middle-aged Leica lenses that I own (Summilux-M 35mm Asph (pre-FLE), Summicron-M 50mm (V) and Elmarit-M 90mm). All of these have their own 6 bit codes. But I am concerned that, with these lenses, which all have flat mount surfaces, the ink will scratch off, as per @yukosteel’s post here and, at worst, could damage the camera’s code reader.

Have any of you successfully coded older Leica lenses? Any advice on whether or not it’s safe to try using the template with a lens with a flat mount surface would be much appreciated.

One further question, if I may: with Voigtlander lenses, with the slight groove or “step” in the mount surface, am I right to think that the ink should only be applied to the outer, slightly recessed groove?

Thanks …. Andrew

May 22, 2024 at 09:02 AM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Andrew CD wrote:
Have any of you successfully coded older Leica lenses? Any advice on whether or not it’s safe to try using the template with a lens with a flat mount surface would be much appreciated.

One further question, if I may: with Voigtlander lenses, with the slight groove or “step” in the mount surface, am I right to think that the ink should only be applied to the outer, slightly recessed groove?

Thanks …. Andrew

If lens mount is flat - do not code it with paint, Leica M mount surface has very high precision and will simply wipe that paint off and move it across lens and camera mount. I don't think paint can damage sensor, but it will anyway will not stay in place and 6bit code won't work.

This 6-bit coding template is designed to be used only with lens mount ring that has groove or 6-bit sockets.

If you have spare flat mount or replacement, one way could be to precisely mark all 6-bits location and engrave them on lens using precise rotary tool to create spacing for paint. It's a delicate operation and is not recommended unless you well practiced engraving on other metal surfaces. There are some mount replacements with deep engraved or milled 6-bit sockets, but they should also have exact same even thickness and bolt sockets location.

May 22, 2024 at 09:30 PM
Andrew CD
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

yukosteel wrote:
If lens mount is flat - do not code it with paint, Leica M mount surface has very high precision and will simply wipe that paint off and move it across lens and camera mount. I don't think paint can damage sensor, but it will anyway will not stay in place and 6bit code won't work.

This 6-bit coding template is designed to be used only with lens mount ring that has groove or 6-bit sockets.

If you have spare flat mount or replacement, one way could be to precisely mark all 6-bits location and engrave them on lens using precise rotary
...Show more

Thank you for taking the time to reply so quickly. That is all perfectly clear and makes complete sense.

May 23, 2024 at 04:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

I found that some of my 6-bit coded lenses, which worked fine on my M10 series cameras, for some reason needed the white "bit" to work on the M240. In that case "Uni" sells a white paint pen. The 3D template makes it easy to add white paint as well.

Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron coded to Leica 35/2 Summicron

May 26, 2024 at 11:39 AM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Today I found one mistake in the 6bit codes file - when sorting by codes there is large number of unused codes missing in the list.
I made wrong initial assumption that list has 62 records - 62 out of 64 possible codes, but somehow I didn't count duplicates.

I made another tab on that Gdoc, sorted by code, then added missing codes to the list.
So at the moment there are 14 unused 6bit codes, which is quite good amount for future Leica lenses.

Jun 07, 2024 at 06:41 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

Long live 6bit coding for Leica M lenses! : ) The mystery of duplicated "001100" code is solved!

In fact there are 192 codes available, not just 64. The answer was right on the surface when we found that same "001100" code is used for coding of:
Leica 35mm F1.4 Summilux-M Steel Rim Reissue
Leica 90mm F2.2 Thambar-M

The key here is the lens focal length difference, involving the Leica M mount mechanically triggering another set of framelines.

I just practically tested the assumption with Leica M10-P body and CV 35mm F1.4 II S.C 6bit coded to "001100". When lens is mounted on camera it is selecting 35/135 framelines by the lens mount.

With that I can also move framelines lever and observe how lens is then re-detected by camera in a second after switching to other frameline size:
35/135 - "1.4 / 35mm"
55/75 - "Uncoded"
28/90 - "2.2 / 90mm"

Leica M digital body is reading selected framelines and using that for choosing combination of 6bit code and framelines value in lens database. It's making effectively 3x64 = 192 total combinations in the lens database.

Jun 08, 2024 at 12:19 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leica 6-bit code template tool

yukosteel wrote:
Long live 6bit coding for Leica M lenses! : ) The mystery of duplicated "001100" code is solved!

In fact there are 192 codes available, not just 64. The answer was right on the surface when we found that same "001100" code is used for coding of:
Leica 35mm F1.4 Summilux-M Steel Rim Reissue
Leica 90mm F2.2 Thambar-M

The key here is the lens focal length difference, involving the Leica M mount mechanically triggering another set of framelines.

I just practically tested the assumption with Leica M10-P body and CV 35mm F1.4 II S.C 6bit coded to "001100". When lens is mounted on camera it
...Show more

Just tried this with my MP240 and 50mm Summicron / 90mm Elmarit. On this 90mm nothing changes, but on the 50mm, moving to the 28/90 framelines changes it to "uncoded" while the 35/135 framelines stay as "50mm f/2".

So it seems you are right, it is reading the framelines in conjunction with the code, potentially leading to many, many more possible options.

Jun 08, 2024 at 06:58 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.