Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

Leica 21/3.4 super elmar

  
 
brick33308
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


I got a used copy of this lens, seems to focus properly. It's small/lightweight, plenty sharp, and I love the 21mm length which is great for environmental street work.

I was inspired to get this lens from Matt Osborne's video on shooting with a 21 (with Leica Elmerit 21/2.8):



Here are some recent shots with it.
































































Apr 21, 2024 at 08:41 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


The 21mm Super-Elmar is one of the staple lenses in my kit. Always in my bag. Super lens in all respects optically and ergonomically.


Apr 21, 2024 at 02:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


The 21/3.4 SEM is indeed one of the top 21mm lenses on the market. However, I've always desired something a tad wider than 21mm when switching from 28mm, so I opted to trade it for the 18/3.8 SEM. It's expected to arrive next week, and I'm eager to see how it performs. Despite the change, I still have the Voigtlander 21/1.4 Nokton, which is a big lens but offers a similar performance to the 21/3.4 SEM but excels in delivering excellent separation at this ultra-wide angle.


Apr 28, 2024 at 09:12 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 21/3.4 SEM is indeed one of the top 21mm lenses on the market. However, I've always desired something a tad wider than 21mm when switching from 28mm, so I opted to trade it for the 18/3.8 SEM. It's expected to arrive next week, and I'm eager to see how it performs. Despite the change, I still have the Voigtlander 21/1.4 Nokton, which is a big lens but offers a similar performance to the 21/3.4 SEM but excels in delivering excellent separation at this ultra-wide angle.


I am looking forward to your report on the 18mm SEM Fred. My next step wider would be a 15mm but I really have not found a compelling need for wider in my daily shooting.




Apr 28, 2024 at 10:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


1bwana1 wrote:
I am looking forward to your report on the 18mm SEM Fred. My next step wider would be a 15mm but I really have not found a compelling need for wider in my daily shooting.



Trying to design a 3D printed filter holder for the Leica 18 SEM as it's hard to find one now. I will post my impressions!



Apr 28, 2024 at 10:26 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 21/3.4 SEM is indeed one of the top 21mm lenses on the market. However, I've always desired something a tad wider than 21mm when switching from 28mm, so I opted to trade it for the 18/3.8 SEM. It's expected to arrive next week, and I'm eager to see how it performs. Despite the change, I still have the Voigtlander 21/1.4 Nokton, which is a big lens but offers a similar performance to the 21/3.4 SEM but excels in delivering excellent separation at this ultra-wide angle.


Is there any chance you can get your hands on a Zeiss ZM 18 f/4 to compare? I have always wondered how those two lenses compared as they share the same mount and focal length, and have a similar aperture.



Apr 29, 2024 at 08:23 AM
brick33308
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Zone focus with my 21/3.4 super elmar is a joy - f8/11, 500-1000 shutter, ISO 400, and then snap without focusing




































































May 19, 2024 at 08:50 AM
itai195
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Also a big fan of the 21mm focal length and the 21 SEM is one of my favorites of all time. So easy to use, small and high quality in every respect.

For a trip later this year I do think Iíll want something a tad wider on occasion so Iíve started to look at adding a CV 15.



May 19, 2024 at 10:12 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 21/3.4 SEM is indeed one of the top 21mm lenses on the market. However, I've always desired something a tad wider than 21mm when switching from 28mm, so I opted to trade it for the 18/3.8 SEM. It's expected to arrive next week, and I'm eager to see how it performs. Despite the change, I still have the Voigtlander 21/1.4 Nokton, which is a big lens but offers a similar performance to the 21/3.4 SEM but excels in delivering excellent separation at this ultra-wide angle.


Fred
I love the Leica M18.

Watch out for the front element as it protrudes out from the lens barrel. I bought a 58 to 58 adapter ring so that I can use filtration, (thin ones). With this setup the original hood cannot be used. I bought a cheap, wide ventilated lens hood, but it vignettes too much due to the adapter+filter thickness.

So I use it with filter and adapter but mainly without hood as below.














May 19, 2024 at 10:35 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


stgrove wrote:
Fred
I love the Leica M18.

Watch out for the front element as it protrudes out from the lens barrel. I bought a 58 to 58 adapter ring so that I can use filtration, (thin ones). With this setup the original hood cannot be used. I bought a cheap, wide ventilated lens hood, but it vignettes too much due to the adapter+filter thickness.


Yes, it's like shooting with a Canon 17/4 TS-E. the front element is beautiful but unprotected. I printed a 3D adapter so I can use filters with zero vignetting.







May 19, 2024 at 10:40 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, it's like shooting with a Canon 17/4 TS-E. the front element is beautiful but unprotected. I printed a 3D adapter so I can use filters with zero vignetting.


Can you use a filter with that setup directly on the hood you show? I do not see the filter in your shot. Thanks.

The perfect M lens for near/far images.



May 19, 2024 at 10:42 AM
Mitch Alland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


As in the video, I have an Elmarit-21/ASPH and have never been tempted by the Super-Elmari-21, although I'm sure I'd like it as much as much as the one I have. Haven't used it for a couple of years, as I've been shooting with the DR-Summicron 50 and the Summaron-M 1:5.6/28. So here are a few shots with the Elmarit-21/ASPH. Looking at these makes me want to shoot with the 21 again, although I'm in a phase of wanting the reductionist aesthetic of a 50mm lens right now.


Leica M9 | Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH | ISO 640 | f/2.8 | 1/45 sec

Bangkok


Leica M-Monochrom | Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH | ISO 320 | f/8.0 | 1/45 sec

Colombo: Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara


Leica M6 | | Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH | Tri-X

Bangkok


Leica M9 | Elmarit-M 21mm f/4.0 ASPH | ISO 320 | f/2.8 | 1/750 sec

Pak Nam Pran


Leica M9 | Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH | ISO 640 | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok


Leica M9 | Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH | ISO 640 | f/5.6 | 1/350 sec

Paris



May 19, 2024 at 11:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


stgrove wrote:
Can you use a filter with that setup directly on the hood you show? I do not see the filter in your shot. Thanks.

The perfect M lens for near/far images.


Yes, the 3D printed adapter allows the use of filters. I only use it when I want to attach ND or polarizing filters. There is no vignetting. The reason for designing this filter adapter is that the Leica version is very hard to find and also causes light leakage. The Leica version also allows 77mm filters.







May 19, 2024 at 12:26 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, the 3D printed adapter allows the use of filters. I only use it when I want to attach ND or polarizing filters. There is no vignetting. The reason for designing this filter adapter is that the Leica version is very hard to find and also causes light leakage. The Leica version also allows 77mm filters.


Thanks. I now see how it holds filters. How can I get one? PM me if you like. Lou



May 19, 2024 at 04:42 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


The 21mm Super-Elmar provides a fun and unique perspective. To day I did my Boardwalk tour with it and my 50mm Cron v5. A great pair to go out shooting with.





Leica M11, Leica 21mm Super Elmar




May 19, 2024 at 09:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


stgrove wrote:
Thanks. I now see how it holds filters. How can I get one? PM me if you like. Lou


Sure, I'll post a link to it, but I might make some adjustments first, like shortening it and also a 72mm filter thread without vignetting.



May 20, 2024 at 09:25 AM
cypressblend
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


Recently very into this lens. I have a Voigtlander 21mm f1.4. The lens was great in terms of performance, but I just found it was too bulky for M cameras and for street photography. I even got a hand grip for my M6 to get a better experience. I guess I just went the wrong direction. And I think the E46 filter size is really versatile, because 28/2 ASPH and 50/1.4 ASPH v1 are also on my list. It would be really great shooting B&W using color/infrared filter with this kit. I guess I should've gotten the SEM in the first place.

The second reason I did not replace my Voigtlander to SEM was that I got a good deal on Contax 16mm hologon (modified to M mount) and I wanted to try something wider. Very look forward to receiving that lens.

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 04:20 PM · View previous versions



May 20, 2024 at 01:40 PM
retrofocus
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica 21/3.4 super elmar


I have two 21 mm M mount lenses - the Leica 21/2.8 pre-ASPH and the CV 21/1.8. Both are equally good optically from my experience with the CV lens being a stop faster but heavier+bulkier also. The Leica Elmarit lens has a detachable hood which is in general better for usage with filters especially with step-up filter. The CV has the more common 58 mm filter thread though but has a sometimes inconvenient fixed hood.

Regarding focal lengths, I am often using either 28-21-12 or 35-21-12 combinations. The 12 mm FL I cover with the CV 12/5.6 II lens. I never felt the need for 15 or 18 mm focal length - if I need to go wider than 21 mm, then 12 mm is the best choice for me. Alternatively I have the TTArtisan 11/2.8 fisheye lens, but I use it rarely for travel due to its bigger size. The CV 12/5.6 fits in any bag or pocket.



May 20, 2024 at 01:53 PM







FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.