New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

Building out my Lumix camera gear -

Ever since I bought a G7 a hundred years ago (and then "upgraded" to Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Canon - yeah, I have GAS but also needed FF for indoor high school sports), I've always thought Panasonic had the best features, buttons, grips, tilt/flip/touch screen, menus, etc, esp for the price, but always held back because of the darn DFD autofocus.

So right now I can afford only ONE of the phase detect cameras...so looking at the subject line, which combo would you pick first? Or maybe not even do a combo? Just pick ONE camera?

My thinking is to use the MFT body for birding and such (the idea being that telephoto lenses on MFT will be much smaller/lighter than FF, with size/weight being something I'd like to minimize in the field), and the FF body for portraits and landscapes, and of course low-light scenarios.

I want at least one of the bodies to have very good continuous AF for video - hence the move toward the "II" bodies.

Sound to me like S5 + G9II, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks...

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:36 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

I think I'm in a similar situation. I've had m43 for 10 years and finally moved to FF with the S5! Now I have a S5II. The S5 and S5II are so good!! I love everything about it except body + lens size and weight.
I'm hoping Panasonic releases smaller lenses in the future.
I also thought about the older S5 + the G9II. There are so many m43 lenses that I loved!

Apr 02, 2024 at 11:55 AM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

Panasonic is better for video than OM Systems, not for stills.

Tom

Apr 02, 2024 at 02:01 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

What makes you say that Tom - just curious.

Tom Reynolds wrote:
Panasonic is better for video than OM Systems, not for stills.

Tom

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:03 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

What did you end up doing?

May 03, 2024 at 11:58 AM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

Well - nothing yet. Still thinking/researching.

The crop factor of M43 vs FF is definitely limiting.

There are somewhat limited choices for FF wide-angle vintage/manual/cheapish. There are lots of 50mm choices, but of course that's already 100mm FOV on MFT.

I've seen a 20mm Zeiss, a 35mm Zeiss, and many many 50mm lenses. The L39's are rangefinder/smaller size, and the M42's are SLR/larger but still not "big" - typically.

Anyway still looking - not sure it's really going to work out.

May 03, 2024 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tntcorp1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

i'll throw in the s5iix to have the option of direct recording to ssd via usb-c.

why: 1050 mbs ssd is less costly than 1500 mbs cfe card. and the ssd footprint is adequately small for external mounting to reduce overheating.

there are reviews out there which commented the af is good but just not as refined as others system. if you plan to use mf, then it's a moot point.

if you are using for video, the s5ii is dual gain with the base iso for video is 640. can't recall the 2nd iso is at the moment.

you may or may not aware, but s5ii & s5iix have wide air vents on both side of the "prism" housing. so the chance of overheating is low. and there are options to control the speed of the internal fan.

oh yeah, unlike nikon, which provides a hard copy of the user's manual, you will need to download an electronic copy for the pana body. for me, i prefer to thumb through a hard copy in lieu of looking at my phone.

May 03, 2024 at 04:08 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

I think the S5II is an amazing camera. Picture quality is amazing, I'm just missing the smaller lenses. The lenses are light and I know Sigma has small options, but I miss the size of some of the m43 lenses. I've also been thinking about the S5II + a m43 body. The G9II seems tempting at $1400.

May 03, 2024 at 04:13 PM
Tschanrm
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

Is Pre Burst a birding feature that would entice you? The G9 II had it, but the S5 II firmware from just a few weeks ago now enables the S5 II to pre burst as well.

May 05, 2024 at 11:24 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

wsalopek wrote:
Building out my Lumix camera gear -

Ever since I bought a G7 a hundred years ago (and then "upgraded" to Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Canon - yeah, I have GAS but also needed FF for indoor high school sports), I've always thought Panasonic had the best features, buttons, grips, tilt/flip/touch screen, menus, etc, esp for the price, but always held back because of the darn DFD autofocus.

So right now I can afford only ONE of the phase detect cameras...so looking at the subject line, which combo would you pick first? Or maybe not even do a combo? Just pick ONE
...Show more

Hi wsalopek,

That you're shooting "indoor high school sports" and that you're looking for "very good continuous AF for video" I'll suggest that the S5 II makes the best sense as a place to start in the Lumix lineup for your needs.

Shooting my 2x S1's (and having played around with my daughter's S5) for the past 5-years I'm very familiar with the ISO performance of their 24.2MP Dual-Gain sensors, I feel quite comfortable shooting to ISO 8000 (even to ≥12,800 for those "break glass in case of emergency" moments). For perspective, using my "sweetie's" G9, and now, G9 II neither of us care for the noise performance once we pass ISO 3200 (2000-and-under is quite usable, in our opinion).

Regarding Panasonic's adoption of PDAF for their (what they call) "Phase Hybrid AF" (PHAF, henceforth) looks to be a winner amongst reviewers and my sweetie is currently grappling with learning its proper usage with her G9 II...to help her out I, quite literally, just bought a used S5 II (it's getting delivered today!) just to learn how this newfangled PHAF works for myself!

FWIW, there's a lot to take in when trying out a new system...it's not just "how does one get on with the camera's performance" or "is the image quality to one's liking", it's "about the ergonomics", as well. The Panny's have (thankfully) clicked for all three of us on all counts!

FWIW, I've been spoiled my whole life with the luxury of being able to hop on the Hudson Line for a short trip into "the city" and being able to be a "counter rat" at all the camera shops in Manhattan for some "hands-on" for the past 50-years, that you cannot feasibly check out new gear in person, perhaps a rental might be in order (with rental-fee put towards purchase price should you decide to buy)?

Then, if it turns out that the S5 II turns into a "solution" for your shooting needs, and only then, would I suggest grabbing a second body. Methinks, once you've gotten a taste for PHAF that your choice will be "none of the above" but, rather, "S5 II + S5 II or S5 II + G9 II?". In the meantime, you're well within budget and can consider building on those resources as your hands-on experiences grow.

Oop, almost forgot to include this link...Matthew Allard, ACS , has put together (what I consider) a bang-up write-up for the S5 II/IIX over at NewsShooter, well worth the peruse, methinks (I have no affiliation)...

Panasonic S5 II & S5 II x announced with Phase Hybrid AF - Newsshooter
https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/01/04/panasonic-s5-ii-s5-ii-x-announced-with-phase-hybrid-af/

Hope this is helpful.

Jimmy G

May 09, 2024 at 09:00 AM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · S5II + G9 or S5 + G9II?

Thanks very much Jimmy. I went with the S5ii and G9. The low-light performance is just too important - and later as budget allows, I'll add a G9ii.

However, the rumored/new "small" FF body from Panasonic due to be announced in a week or two might be a very nice addition as well.

May 09, 2024 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.