FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31              33       34       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

pengson wrote:
Thanks Fred for the amazing write-up on this lens! Iím interested in purchasing this and aside from your personal decentering test (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1534737/0) is there anything else I should be examining for this lens to ensure Iíve got a good copy? Thank you in advance.

You're welcome.

For optimal results, it's crucial to ensure that your rangefinder is accurately calibrated and that the lens is properly synced with it.

Apr 04, 2024 at 04:46 PM
bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I ended up getting this lens to use on Sony (A7iii) for concert and dance photography where field curvature isn't really an issue (for me); for landscapes and other things I'd use it on my Leica film camera. These were shot on A7iii.

Maude Fortier quartet with Sarah Stevenson by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

La noche de Rosa y los peligrosos by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I have not read most of this review but I just got the A7RC and I would love a 28mm for travel and my walk along. I have owned many CV glass but wondering how this maybe on a Sony

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:55 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I have an A7CR and the 28/1.5 but I really have not used it because my 28/1.5 is pretty much glued to my M11-P. I have shot the A7CR/28 combination a few times and do not see any issues with it, but I do like the balance of it better on the Leica since the Sony is so light. The combination though is like a Sony version of the Q3 without the AF. The Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron is another possibility for the A7CR.

Apr 07, 2024 at 08:50 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Taken with the M11-P

LEICA M11-P    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Asph Type II lens    28mm    f/6.8    1/90s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 07, 2024 at 08:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BruceRH wrote:
I have an A7CR and the 28/1.5 but I really have not used it because my 28/1.5 is pretty much glued to my M11-P. I have shot the A7CR/28 combination a few times and do not see any issues with it, but I do like the balance of it better on the Leica since the Sony is so light. The combination though is like a Sony version of the Q3 without the AF. The Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron is another possibility for the A7CR.

I had the Ultron and loved it with the front filters for correction.

Apr 07, 2024 at 09:00 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
I ended up getting this lens to use on Sony (A7iii) for concert and dance photography where field curvature isn't really an issue (for me); for landscapes and other things I'd use it on my Leica film camera. These were shot on A7iii.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53623246595_dde7d2c9ce_c.jpgMaude Fortier quartet with Sarah Stevenson by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53631697529_7f4e36a35b_c.jpgLa noche de Rosa y los peligrosos by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53631362586_26a784813f_c.jpgLa noche de Rosa y los peligrosos by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53631699364_bb91d3d4f6_c.jpgLa noche de Rosa y los peligrosos by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

How are you liking the lens so far Brad?

Apr 07, 2024 at 09:44 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Starting a weeklong visit to the Palm Springs area. A welcome relief from Minnesota!

M11 + CV Nokton 28/1.5 Panorama

Apr 07, 2024 at 10:24 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
How are you liking the lens so far Brad?

It's still early days, but my overall impression is that "it does the job." I'm not particularly in love with it; it's very contrasty, which I can address in post, and overall the images don't really sing to me. I also have the Nikon 28/1.4 AF-D, which I like more in terms of its character and image quality on Sony, but that's a much bigger lens, the manual-focus experience isn't as good, and it focuses the Nikon way, which throws me off when I have to react quickly to fast-moving objects like dancers.

When I'm shooting concerts and dances I'm usually using M- and LTM-mount lenses, so this is useful as a fast 28, but I've been experimenting with using Nikon-mount lenses on my Sony for those events and still haven't decided which I prefer. I'll give it a few more months.

Apr 07, 2024 at 10:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

rji2goleez wrote:
Starting a weeklong visit to the Palm Springs area. A welcome relief from Minnesota!

Curious to the technical aspects of how this one was shot ... orientation / # / overlap / aperture, etc.

I'm always a bit concerned with how the vignetting / distortion plays when doing pano-stitches. This one seems nicely done, maybe a smidgen of "tell" in the sky, if you look harder than need be. Just curious to the level of technical involved for it.

Apr 07, 2024 at 11:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

rji2goleez wrote:

Wonderful time of year to be there. I have spent a lot of time there there last couple of years. I will be spending even more time starting next Month when we actually break ground on construction. Unfortunately this will include significant time in Summer when it is not so nice to be there. My partners and I are developing the Worlds largest artificial wave surf resort and community out there. I am heading up the residential side of the development from the developer side. If that is a regular destination for you I will invite you to come out and ride a few waves when the pool is ready in about a year and a half.

Take a look : https://dsrtsurf.com/

Apr 07, 2024 at 11:42 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

RustyBug wrote:

Curious to the technical aspects of how this one was shot ... orientation / # / overlap / aperture, etc.

I'm always a bit concerned with how the vignetting / distortion plays when doing pano-stitches. This one seems nicely done, maybe a smidgen of "tell" in the sky, if you look harder than need be. Just curious to the level of technical involved for it.

This pano was made from 5 vertical handheld shots. Not sure about overlap as I just wing it conservatively . . . a lot of overlap. I typically do my panos like this. Here's the LR stitch before cropping.

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:10 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

1bwana1 wrote:
Wonderful time of year to be there. I have spent a lot of time there there last couple of years. I will be spending even more time starting next Month when we actually break ground on construction. Unfortunately this will include significant time in Summer when it is not so nice to be there. My partners and I are developing the Worlds largest artificial wave surf resort and community out there. I am heading up the residential side of the development from the developer side. If that is a regular destination for you I will invite you to come out
...Show more

Thanks so much Steve! This is our first time out here so after one day, we're having a great time. Hard to say whether this will be a regular thing but we plan to be somewhere other than MN during winter. Last year was Santa Barbara. This year Palm Springs but only for a week. Your project looks really great.

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:13 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
It's still early days, but my overall impression is that "it does the job." I'm not particularly in love with it; it's very contrasty, which I can address in post, and overall the images don't really sing to me. I also have the Nikon 28/1.4 AF-D, which I like more in terms of its character and image quality on Sony, but that's a much bigger lens, the manual-focus experience isn't as good, and it focuses the Nikon way, which throws me off when I have to react quickly to fast-moving objects like dancers.

When I'm shooting concerts and dances I'm
...Show more

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel very similarly. It's the kind of lens I'll sell and buy depending on what I need or what else I have in my kit but won't be a constant fixture.

I haven't ever shot the 28/1.4 D, but I have seen quite a few lovely images from it. I shoot a decent amount of shows and concerts in small to moderate venues. I find a 24/1.4 and 50/1 combo very good for that purpose. I can see where the 28/1.5 would be useful.

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:43 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I haven't ever shot the 28/1.4 D, but I have seen quite a few lovely images from it. I shoot a decent amount of shows and concerts in small to moderate venues. I find a 24/1.4 and 50/1 combo very good for that purpose. I can see where the 28/1.5 would be useful.

A fast 24 would be useful; the one I have is the Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 and I've used it a bit for concerts but faster would be better in low light. I'm mainly shooting 50mm (the C-Sonnar) and either 85 or 105 for when I can't get close to the musicians (especially useful for drummers and bass players in the back of the stage), but the 28mm is my "whole band" lens so I can get all the band members in one shot. I've used the MS Optics 28/2 you sold me quite a bit in concerts and it's actually perfect for that since the musicians love its quirks. But the Nikon 28/1.4 is really lovely and I'm starting to use it more. Just a pain due to the need to bring another adapter plus the Nikon focus direction. The VM 28/1.5 is the most practical choice given the other lenses I use. I'll continue to use them both until I can make a clear decision based on lots of shots.

Apr 07, 2024 at 04:28 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Bump

Apr 07, 2024 at 05:43 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
I had the Ultron and loved it with the front filters for correction.

What PCX filter were you using Guy? And how close did it get to native performance?

Apr 07, 2024 at 06:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Damn I canít remember. We have to look in the archives. But it was quite good that I remember. Fred may remember

nehemiahphoto wrote:
What PCX filter were you using Guy? And how close did it get to native performance?

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
Damn I canít remember. We have to look in the archives. But it was quite good that I remember. Fred may remember

That was a while back! Haha. I believe we tested the older CV 28/2, not the new version. I experimented with several PCX filters, like the 5000 and 2500. Interestingly, the lens performed better without any PCX on the Sony, which surprised me.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512393/3&year=2017#14213856

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:44 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Thanks Guy and Fred! I'd love to get close to native performance, or stop behind and have the option of using the CV 28/2 ASPH on my stock Sony.

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.