New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

According to leicarumors, the Leica SL3 camera is rumored to be announced on or around March 21-22 with a price tag under 8,000.

"Leica always liked to play with dates/numbers in the past do you remember the M9 on 09.09.09? The price of the SL3 is expected to be under 8,000 (see current Leica SL2 and Leica M11 prices on Amazon).

Here are the rumored specifications:
  1. The Leica SL3 will use the same 60MP sensor as the M11/Q3
  2. There will be a new body that is only a bit smaller than the current SL2
  3. 6.5 stops image stabilization
  4. Phase detection AF
  5. 9fps continuous shooting
  6. Supports cropped 8K/30p and 4K/60p + full-frame & S35 C4K/30p
  7. The camera is already being tested in the field
  8. Registered Type 5404 model

A new Leica M-mount lens will also be announced a month later (sometime in April)."

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:03 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

The leviathan lives on!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:16 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I think Leica made a wise choice staying with the same general size range with the SL3. It will compliment its SL lenses much better than a smaller body. Candidly I find the haptics quit good with my SL2, better in fact than my Sony and Fuji 100S bodies but of course that is a subjective impression.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

And another phase will begin for YouTuber influencers to showcase the greatness of the SL series in an attempt to improve sales of the SL series.....

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

goodbokeh wrote:
I think Leica made a wise choice staying with the same general size range with the SL3. It will compliment its SL lenses much better than a smaller body. Candidly I find the haptics quit good with my SL2, better in fact than my Sony and Fuji 100S bodies but of course that is a subjective impression.

The rumor suggested that the SL3 might be smaller. I would like that because I find the SL cameras too large for full frame.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:49 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:
The rumor suggested that the SL3 might be smaller. I would like that because I find the SL cameras too large for full frame.

+1. The SL camera size is one problem for Leica but even more so that competitive mirrorless cameras in similar size are priced much lower, have more functions, and can also use M-lenses well. The Nikon Zf is a good example here (even sensor resolution is lower).

Leica could however still have a competitive advantage with an already discussed "EVF M" camera. Smaller than the SL but equipped with FF sensor, limited AF/video functions (if any) but optimized to be used with manual rangefinder lenses. Much bigger market IMO for Leica to tap into than with the SL series.

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:07 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:

Agree on this one. MF size and performance limitations with a FF sensor makes the SL system uninteresting for me.

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:09 PM
fededuran
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

And now the bar is set at the 8,000 euro range. Does this strategy have an end? Of course not.

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:45 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

The SL series is much to big and all the lenses are gargantuan in size as well.

I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras. I had the opportunity to use on for a day with the 35 APO and its great fun to use. I know I would just never bring it with me anywhere due to the sheer volume of the system.

I would be open to Leica develpoing a small body that was meant to be used with M glass, optimizing MF with EVF's- maybe some new Leica thinking but noting in the SL space excites me at all

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:03 PM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Looking forward to this camera, although I suppose it may have the "content credentials" feature of the m-11p, which I'm not so keen on. Also, Nikon is producing a camera with the 61mp BSI CMOS, so it will be a nice selection of choices for this excellent 133 lp/mm angular spatial resolution sensor from the Sony 3.76 μm pixel family.

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Only a bit smaller would be rather disappointing and 8,000 would be commercial suicide IMHO... Some SL2 owners will upgrade because of PDAF but I don't see this bringing in many new users.

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:15 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Ok... I'm interested.
As for what Leica is doing, well I think they are trying to compete in the professional market that extends beyond what rangefinders do best. I shoot Nikon... expensive stuff that includes the 400 f2.8S. I'd actually be interested in the Leica SL system if they'd make a faster lens that goes out to 400mm... let's say a 400 f4.5 that takes a 1.4x converter. If they'd apply the lens tech that goes into all of those 35mm and 50mm lenses, they could actually produce a class leading telephoto lens.
I shot a Leica SL for about 4 months and loved the simplicity of the design and ease of menu access. Cameras that can withstand harsh conditions meet the needs of nature photographers. Leica has stunning color science, so their bodies and lenses are interesting to people wanting to distinguish their work from the typical bird on a stick photographer.
While I'm no artist, per se, I'd like to believe that my more contemplative wildlife photography is well suited to the Leica ethos... As for 60MP, I can see plenty of plusses and minuses with the decision. If anything, I'd rather see Leica use that premium price to incorporate an AF system that rivals what Nikon/Sony/Canon have done.
In the end, if you are someone who has decided to drop serious money on long glass from the latter companies, an expensive camera and set of lenses from Leica is no different from buying premium gear from Nikon (says the guy w/ a Z9/Zf/Z6 400mm f2.8S w/ built-in converter, 180-600, 24-120)...
cheers,
bruce

Edited on Jan 15, 2024 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:21 PM
genjy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus wrote:

I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras. I had the opportunity to use on for a day with the 35 APO and its great fun to use. I know I would just never bring it with me anywhere due to the sheer volume of the system.

I would be open to Leica develpoing a small body that was meant to be used with M glass, optimizing MF with EVF's- maybe some new Leica thinking but
...Show more

The SL is obviously a professional line. Weight and size don't really matter much to most professional and commercial shooters. They pack as much gear as they need, too.

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:26 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

genjy wrote:
The SL is obviously a professional line.

It might be hard to make inroads into the professional market if your service turnaround time is 2 months...

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:31 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

So the Leica rumors site describing the SL3 as "only a bit smaller" is just that and nothing more at this point.

Just for kicks and a reality reference, below is a Camera Size link of the SL2 compared to the very popular Nikon Z8, Lumix S1R, Fuji GFX100S (which I also own) and GFX100 II. The Leica is overall the smallest and lightest of the group.

BTW, have you all kept up with the new smaller and lighter Leica SL lenses based upon Sigma and Panasonic designs? They are pretty darn good. I've got a couple of them and they handle really well on the SL2 and I'm a demanding pixel peeper.

https://camerasize.com/compact/#843.497,907.934,813.815,868.1113,914.962,ha,f

Jan 15, 2024 at 03:16 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Leica don't give a shit about what other cameras are doing. They're not making a system that's competitive with other manufacturers. Then they'd have to compete with other manufacturers. They're making their own space like any luxury brand tries to do. This is like Ferrari making an SUV. Do you think they care what Kia is doing, or even BMW? As soon as people start banging on about how you can get a Canon for half the price that does more they've already missed the point. The SL is primarily for people who are too cool to shoot Canon....

My order is already in.

I don't expect the SL3 to be any different to the above. This is what I've been hearing for a few months. I do know of someone who's testing the camera and I *think* I've seen some video footage from it (on a phone so don't get excited).

The SL3 will be the best option for the SL Summicrons. That's it. Somewhat better for M lenses but it's really built for the SL Summicrons. Not getting any of those? Then don't bother. But if you do it'll be a potent combination. Sure, Sony make incredible glass. So do Canon and Nikon and the others. But as a matched set? The SL Summilux is lovely and the 24-90 and 90-280 are class leading but the Summicrons are what makes the SL system special and they're getting the best small format sensor available. It'll be exciting to see all the technically perfect, boring as batshit images that'll hit youtube in April. But a few great photos will creep in.

I do think the SL bodies are the best laid out cameras around. They could be smaller. My lenses all balance just fine on the S5II but I don't mind if the body is somewhat bigger. Maybe Panasonic will shoehorn the same sensor into a S5 body for us. I just hope they make some of the buttons bigger. I don't get why the SL2 has some tiny buttons on a larger camera. But even the SL2 feels better in the hand than my (much improved recently) Sony's. The EVF will be spectacular. The joystick is the best there is. And you can cover the red dot and pretend that no one knows it's a Leica.

The SL3 won't be my only kit. But likely in the 21-90mm range it'll share duties with my X2D. I almost never shoot my Sony's here. They're for long lenses (A1) and tiny lenses (A7CR and R5). The APO Summicrons are better than the Hasselblad glass so it'll be very interesting to see how the better glass competes with the better sensor. I thin k it'll be close.

Gordon

Jan 15, 2024 at 03:30 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

For that price, I would rather get an X2D 100c. Different horses, of course.

Jan 15, 2024 at 03:53 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

jigesh wrote:
For that price, I would rather get an X2D 100c. Different horses, of course.

X2D and SL3 will continue to share the same strong point, which is a very nice user experience both in hardware and menu design. They also share the same downside, which is slow sensor scan speed assuming the SL3 will use the 60mp M11 sensor. I would have loved to have seen the A1 sensor in the SL3 instead, especially at this price point.

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:14 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

genjy wrote:
The SL is obviously a professional line. Weight and size don't really matter much to most professional and commercial shooters. They pack as much gear as they need, too.

Why is it a professional line? Because of the price tag?

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:36 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus wrote:

I would be open to Leica develpoing a small body that was meant to be used with M glass, optimizing MF with EVF's- maybe some new Leica thinking but
...Show more

You wrote. "I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras."

To provide access to the best full frame lenses Leica has ever made; the Leica SL APO primes.

At least that's why I bought the Leica SL2 😎

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.