Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #16444311 « Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22 »

OwlsEyes
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Ok... I'm interested.
As for what Leica is doing, well I think they are trying to compete in the professional market that extends beyond what rangefinders do best. I shoot Nikon... expensive stuff that includes the 400 f2.8S. I'd actually be interested in the Leica SL system if they'd make a faster lens that goes out to 400mm... let's say a 400 f4.5 that takes a 1.4x converter. If they'd apply the lens tech that goes into all of those 35mm and 50mm lenses, they could actually produce a class leading telephoto lens.
I shot a Leica SL for about 4 months and loved the simplicity of the design and easy of menu access. Cameras that can withstand harsh conditions meet the needs of nature photographers. Leica has stunning color science, so their bodies and lenses are interesting to people wanting to distinguish their work from the typical bird on a stick photographer.
While I'm no artist, per se, I'd like to believe that my more contemplative wildlife photography is well suited to the Leica ethos... As for 60MP, I can see plenty of plusses and minuses with the decision. If anything, I'd rather see Leica use that premium price to incorporate an AF system that rivals what Nikon/Sony/Canon have done.
In the end, if you are someone who has decided to drop serious money on long glass from the latter companies, an expensive camera and set of lenses from Leica is no different from buying premium gear from Nikon (says the guy w/ a Z9/Zf/Z6 400mm f2.8S w/ built-in converter, 180-600, 24-120)...
cheers,
bruce

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:21 PM

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #16444311 « Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.