New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

I wanted to share a success story about eliminating small scratches on my Leica black paint body, specifically the Leica M10-R Black Paint, but this method should work for other black paint bodies like the M9 and M240. When I bought my used M10-R Black Paint with only 56 actuations, I noticed micro scratches on the top plate. They weren't too bothersome, but I discovered a polishing kit that completely removed all those tiny scratches without leaving any marks on the paint or altering the glossy finish in any way.

Since the scratches weren't deep, I opted for the "finish" tube from the kit, which includes "Polish" and "Finish." (If they were deep, I would use the Polish first.) Following the manual's instructions, I rubbed with the supplied cloth for 2 minutes in a circular motion, applying a small amount to test it. To my surprise, it removed all the scratches, giving the camera a consistent look with no visible marks or changes in the material. It looks brand new now. Just a note, this method is suitable for glossy materials, so avoid applying it to a Matte black chrome finish.

Here is an image showcasing the product. I purchased mine from Amazon (no affiliation).

Jan 13, 2024 at 06:10 PM
sarkleshark

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Curious: Did it remove any of the paint--was there any paint on the cloth?
thanks for sharing.

Jan 13, 2024 at 06:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

sarkleshark wrote:
Curious: Did it remove any of the paint--was there any paint on the cloth?
thanks for sharing.

In hindsight, I should have taken before and after pictures. After the 2-minute process, there was a slight darkening on the cloth, but the paint on the body remained pristine. I've experimented with other products on my previous M9-P and wasn't satisfied with the results; I could see finishing marks on the body. However, with this one, even under angled lighting, I don't see any marks. The finish looks consistent and just like it came from the factory.

Jan 13, 2024 at 07:13 PM
sarkleshark

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2024 at 07:16 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Now go grab some sand paper and brass up those edges.

Jan 13, 2024 at 09:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Here is an image displaying the camera after completion. It's free of any tiny scratches.

Jan 13, 2024 at 09:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Desmolicious wrote:
Now go grab some sand paper and brass up those edges.

Does anybody do this? I would only want to see brassing caused by my own usage.

Apr 29, 2024 at 09:28 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:
Does anybody do this? I would only want to see brassing caused by my own usage.

Yup. I’ve even seen a few for sale on this site! And some people have been doing it to the knobs on the Nikon ZF.

Apr 29, 2024 at 09:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Desmolicious wrote:
Yup. I’ve even seen a few for sale on this site! And some people have been doing it to the knobs on the Nikon ZF.

I just discovered that even Leica themselves engaged in this practice, as evidenced by the Leica M-P Special Edition crafted in collaboration with Lenny Kravitz.

Apr 29, 2024 at 01:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Light Lens Lab also offers the 'worn' look as a finish.

Apr 29, 2024 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Desmolicious wrote:
Light Lens Lab also offers the 'worn' look as a finish.

Yes, I have their LLL 50/2 SP2 black paint with brassing. It's handsome.

Apr 29, 2024 at 03:00 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, I have their LLL 50/2 SP2 black paint with brassing. It's handsome.

I have the LLL 35 f2 8 Element in the naked brass finish.

I think I will do the reverse, and gradually reapply black paint until it eventually is completely black.

Think of it as the Benjamin Button of lenses.

Apr 29, 2024 at 04:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Desmolicious wrote:

I think I will do the reverse, and gradually reapply black paint until it eventually is completely black.

That's too funny! Go ahead and start applying some black paint, just make sure to do it carefully so it doesn't end up looking fake!

Apr 29, 2024 at 04:06 PM
dvoss
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

I just discovered that even Leica themselves engaged in this practice, as evidenced by the Leica M-P Special Edition crafted in collaboration with Lenny Kravitz.

I can just imagine the interns at Wetzlar slaving away in some sub-basement getting the perfect Kravitz look. "Rub harder, you Scheißköpfe."

May 02, 2024 at 08:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

dvoss wrote:
I can just imagine the interns at Wetzlar slaving away in some sub-basement getting the perfect Kravitz look. "Rub harder, you Scheißköpfe."

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that Leica produced only 125 cameras with brassing. I wonder if the brassing was consistent across all 125 copies or if it varied in location and appearance, given that it was applied by hand.

May 02, 2024 at 09:45 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Desmolicious wrote:

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's too funny! Go ahead and start applying some black paint, just make sure to do it carefully so it doesn't end up looking fake!

And after you have carefully repainted it all black, you can start in with steel wool to re-brass it again!

May 03, 2024 at 06:43 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that Leica produced only 125 cameras with brassing. I wonder if the brassing was consistent across all 125 copies or if it varied in location and appearance, given that it was applied by hand.

Since they can’t even sign those quality check cards in the same place, I doubt whether there would be any consistency.

May 03, 2024 at 09:50 AM
yueytan

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Thanks for this post!

I got a few micro surface scratches top plate on my recently acquired M10-R BP. Gonna get some of this stuff tomorrow and give it a try!

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

yueytan wrote:
Thanks for this post!

I got a few micro surface scratches top plate on my recently acquired M10-R BP. Gonna get some of this stuff tomorrow and give it a try!

It works for micro scratches. Just use the "Finish" tube. Put a small amount on the cloth included. Rub in a circular motion for about 1-2 minutes. All my micro scratches are gone. If the scratches are slightly deeper, you may need to use the "Repair" tube first, followed by the Finish paste. Of course this is from my personal experience, do at your own risk.

Jun 11, 2024 at 12:21 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:

At least the brassing is in areas that make sense - I've seen some people hit random areas with sandpaper such as the entire top plate etc. that wouldn't get worn with normal use.

Jun 11, 2024 at 02:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.