New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

yueytan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:
It works for micro scratches. Just use the "Finish" tube. Put a small amount on the cloth included. Rub in a circular motion for about 1-2 minutes. All my micro scratches are gone. If the scratches are slightly deeper, you may need to use the "Repair" tube first, followed by the Finish paste. Of course this is from my personal experience, do at your own risk.

So I gave this a try last night. Followed what you did (as per Quixx instructions) and didn't quite get the same result, but not a terrible result either!

I found after doing one spot on the top plate that the finish on the camera changed, ever so slightly. The paint became a touch darker and glossier, creating a slight unevenness under direct artificial light. To even it out I then did every part of the top plate (not that easy around the the dials but I pretty much managed with a chopstick pushing the cloth ) and the overall result looks very good. Not a bad thing that the top plate looks a touch glossier now.

I sent the camera into Leica for come calibration today but when I get it back I'll probably do the other parts of the camera too just to even it out. It's not noticeable that the top plate is polished and the sides are not, but I think the end result will look stunning when it's all done!

My light scratches didn't quite come out either, but they are probably less noticeable due to the extra gloss. The scratches are hairline and not that bothersome so I'm wondering if it's worth the risk using the 'Repair' tube hmmm.

Interesting that the same method with the same polish kit yielded a different result though? I guess art is not science

Jun 13, 2024 at 06:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

yueytan wrote:
So I gave this a try last night. Followed what you did (as per Quixx instructions) and didn't quite get the same result, but not a terrible result either!

I found after doing one spot on the top plate that the finish on the camera changed, ever so slightly. The paint became a touch darker and glossier, creating a slight unevenness under direct artificial light. To even it out I then did every part of the top plate (not that easy around the the dials but I pretty much managed with a chopstick pushing the cloth ) and the overall result
...Show more

That is a very good point and could help others doing this. Perhaps I failed to mention that when I applied the 'finish' paste, I made sure to cover the entire section of the top (where the Leica engraving is located). I only rubbed the paste for about 2 minutes, and it removed 100% of my minor scratches. I didn't notice any change in the shim, but that might be due to the short rubbing time and the fact that I applied it to the entire area.

Jun 13, 2024 at 10:38 AM
yueytan

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Fred Miranda wrote:
That is a very good point and could help others doing this. Perhaps I failed to mention that when I applied the 'finish' paste, I made sure to cover the entire section of the top (where the Leica engraving is located). I only rubbed the paste for about 2 minutes, and it removed 100% of my minor scratches. I didn't notice any change in the shim, but that might be due to the short rubbing time and the fact that I applied it to the entire area.

Ah I see. Yes, if you did an entire portion at once you wouldn't notice the difference to the shine/finish. It's very subtle, in any case.

I did between 60-120 seconds. I might give it another go to further get rid of micro scratches when I get the camera back from Leica.

My next project is removing the white lettering from my SL3. I saw your post a while back for doing it on the SL2 but I need to further research on whether the housing material is the same on the SL3!

Jun 15, 2024 at 11:35 PM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Restoring Leica Black Paint Finish to Its Original Factory Condition

Nice result, but I probably wouldn't touch the paint though! I'm a violinist and in the violin world there's a never ending debate whether one should touch up instrument's varnish. Most people just leave blemishes as they are. There is even "antiqued finish" that left the bench like it been through decades and centuries of use! Pretty common even a century or two back.

The first few scratches and brassing will be unsightly but when it collect more it'll create charm. Personally that's the reason why I don't get black paint body as it'll drive me crazy!

Jun 16, 2024 at 01:30 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.