FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

RustyBug wrote:
When I want to augment my understanding of the light / exposure, I want to know what the incident light actually is. Having that in a cold shoe (i.e. not hand held) could be nice.

Wouldn't having an incident meter on the hotshoe defeat the purpose?

Nov 01, 2023 at 09:29 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I have two shoe meters. The Keks KM02 and VC Meter II.

The Keks has a setting of "prefer overexposure", which seems to overexpose by a stop which is nice. But it also requires several button clicks often to get your desired exposure setting.

The VC II is very similar to using a metered M camera with its arrows and dials. It also seems to fit the look a little better of an all analog camera. You can also overexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop by just watching the arrows. The "con" to this meter is the arrows are reversed from a M camera's meter. The left arrow indicates overexposure, where on a M camera it indicates underexposure.

Nov 22, 2023 at 03:32 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

FWIW - I've been using the lightmeter from Reflx. Once I got used to the button functions, it works quite well. The only issue is that the screws that hold the hot shoe attachment to the meter have come loose and I have to tighten. I'm afraid if I loose one of the screws, it will be hard to replace. Otherwise, I like this hot shoe meter and use it on all my film bodies.

Nov 22, 2023 at 06:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I really like the DOOMO Meter S (brass). It's the smallest meter, aside from the Reveni. I can very accurate metering and it's very easy to use.

Nov 22, 2023 at 08:02 PM
crf59
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

Sure seems like a small, modern meter using today's more dense (small) electronics would sell well. I use the Voigtlander VC on my meterless cameras (M4, M3, IIIG) and it evidently does OK because I actually get usable photos . But I doubt, given the way it meters, that it's ideal. Well built and so on, but still.

I still have the original Luna Pro which still works and I still use, so maybe my meter assessment is not so great...

Nov 23, 2023 at 07:33 AM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

The Reveni Labs Light Meter Mk 2 has just been released. It does away with the LR44 batteries and replaces them with a rechargeable NiMH power source. I loved my little Reveni cubes but ordered the MK2 this evening. Reading through the manual, Matt Bechberger has addressed the battery life issue and made some other improvements, I should have it sometime next week and I'll give an update.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I keep it simple but effective: Gossen Digisix 2 external meter. Advantage is that it can measure reflective and incandescent metering. It is very accurate - using it now since 2016. It uses a standard Li 2032-type battery. It is very small and pocketable, very easy to carry in any bag or jacket. It covers a large range of ISO settings including very low ones. Con is that it has no on/off switch and IMO too many electronic functions I never use (timer etc).

This meter can be also put on a camera cold/hotshoe with adapter. But I don't like the clunky look of the camera with attached meter, and there is no advantage over just using the meter in my hand which gives me even more flexibility.

Jan 09, 2024 at 07:05 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

madNbad wrote:
The Reveni Labs Light Meter Mk 2 has just been released. It does away with the LR44 batteries and replaces them with a rechargeable NiMH power source. I loved my little Reveni cubes but ordered the MK2 this evening. Reading through the manual, Matt Bechberger has addressed the battery life issue and made some other improvements, I should have it sometime next week and I'll give an update.

Thanks for the update, I think I'll get one too.

I have a handheld meter from Sekonic, but much prefer having one mounted on the camera, and the Reveni has the advantage of being able to look through a viewfinder to get the readings instead of having to view a display on top, which is inevitably hard/impossible to read in bright light.

Jan 09, 2024 at 07:44 AM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

retrofocus wrote:
I keep it simple but effective: Gossen Digisix 2 external meter. Advantage is that it can measure reflective and incandescent metering. It is very accurate - using it now since 2016. It uses a standard Li 2032-type battery. It is very small and pocketable, very easy to carry in any bag or jacket. It covers a large range of ISO settings including very low ones. Con is that it has no on/off switch and IMO too many electronic functions I never use (timer etc).

This meter can be also put on a camera cold/hotshoe with adapter. But I don't like
...Show more

I had a Digisix 2. It was a nice enough meter but sold it because I preferred using the larger Sekonic 308. I had two Reveni cubes, the original Kickstarter version and one with the upgraded display. As much as I loved the size, bright OLED display and the ease of always having it with me, I tired of the short battery life and donated them to a local shop. I had mounted them on the camera for a while but mostly carried them on a lanyard. This left the accessory shoe available for finders and has the advantage of not needing to move it from one camera to another.

Jan 09, 2024 at 10:41 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

My Reveni Light Meter Mk2 arrived today. It really is tiny and I appreciate that it can be charged via USB. I already know how to work the buttons because they control the same functions as on my Reveni spot meter.

I would say the only downsides I've discovered are:

1. It's a bit loose in the cold shoe on all of my cameras; Matt sells a riser for thick camera shoes but that's not the issue here, it's more that it needs a shim. It can't fall off, it attaches securely, but it moves back and forth in the shoe as you point the camera up or down. I could easily make and add some shims to help it stay in place.

2. The display is on the front, not the top, which I prefer but I'm still not confident I'll be able to read those numbers in really bright outdoor conditions. With the spot meter you can hold the meter right up to your eye, but you can't do that with the shoe-mount light meter. We have a lot of snow here and when the sun is shining I can't see the readout of my Hedeco meter at all, even if I shade it with my hand; I'm worried the same thing might happen with this one but I'll verify tomorrow as it's supposed to be sunny.

Other than those two minor quibbles I'm really happy with this meter, especially the new feature that Matt added which shows you whether the reading was rounded up or down (I have it set to whole stops), so you can see if you image will be slightly over or underexposed. There's a little ball that is either above or below a line on the meter. That's a really nice touch that I haven't seen in other meters.

Jan 18, 2024 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

madNbad
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

bjhurley wrote:
My Reveni Light Meter Mk2 arrived today. It really is tiny and I appreciate that it can be charged via USB. I already know how to work the buttons because they control the same functions as on my Reveni spot meter.

I would say the only downsides I've discovered are:

1. It's a bit loose in the cold shoe on all of my cameras; Matt sells a riser for thick camera shoes but that's not the issue here, it's more that it needs a shim. It can't fall off, it attaches securely, but it moves back and forth in the shoe as
...Show more

My order is in the mail but hasn't moved out of Niagara Falls yet. That plus the Portland metro has been a skating rink since last weekend and we haven't had a mail delivery all week. I ordered both the wrist strap shoe mount and the stick on shoe that works well with a corded strap. I have found the OLED readout on the Reveni to be visible in most lighting conditions. I loved my little cubes and and looking forward to the improved version.

Jan 18, 2024 at 04:19 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

My Mk2 Cube arrived about an hour ago and just during the set up process, it's a big improvement over the original. The nice, bright, easily readable OLED screen now offers more information and the rechargeable battery will insure it's visible for longer periods than with the easily drained LR44's. I'll report back when I've used it for a while but for right now it matches my Sekonic 308X for readings.

Jan 25, 2024 at 04:27 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

A quick one day review. We're entering an atmospheric river so the difference in ambient light between inside the house and outside is about a 1/2 stop so no real lighting challenges. When I first received the meter it had a 100% charge. I adjusted the OLED screen to stay on for 30 seconds to assist with set up. For the last day, wandered around metering all sorts of stuff. In use, the screen was active for a bit more than a half hour and the charge was down to about 60%. Plugged it it and was back to a 100% within ten minutes. I adjusted the active time for the display back to 10 seconds and turned off the constant metering mode. I real life metering the charge should last several days to several weeks, depending on usage. The original version had a constant drain on the battery which shortened their life. I'll know in a few weeks if that problem has been corrected. I like the little Revenis' for being a meter when I don't want to carry a meter. I have the myLightmeter Pro app on my phone but the Reveni is smaller and more accurate.

Jan 26, 2024 at 06:22 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

First week review. Charged it to 100% last Saturday, used it lightly during the week and the power level is down to 80%, so there is still some drain from the OLED display. The good part is, it charges in very little time and the display reacts to the buttons much faster than the battery version.
Overall, the new design is a big step forward. It would be nice to have a physical switch to turn the meter off and that may come in a future design.

Feb 02, 2024 at 12:42 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I'm having similar experiences, and am pleased to report that the display is bright enough to read outdoors on a sunny day, even in a highly reflective snow-covered landscape.

Feb 02, 2024 at 01:36 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I posted a short review on Photrio and Matt sent me a nice note for pointing out all the good features of the new meter.

Feb 02, 2024 at 01:40 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I may have found the perfect match for the Reveni. My wife had an appointment in NW Portland this morning and I took the M4-4 with a Voigtlander 15 4.5 Super Wide Heliar and a roll of Tri-X. Iíll post a few later today.

Feb 09, 2024 at 01:15 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

I know the Reveni has a 45 degree angle of acceptance but I was thrilled to get readings of f11 at 125th on a drizzly day and didn't give it a second thought, until I developed the film. Negatives were thin and under exposed and even finding the space between frames was a challenge at times. I have used the cube meters enough to know meter properly. Toss in a 15mm lens and it just exacerbates the problem. My fault for not metering the way I should have. I'll continue to work with it.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:55 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

madNbad wrote:
I know the Reveni has a 45 degree angle of acceptance but I was thrilled to get readings of f11 at 125th on a drizzly day and didn't give it a second thought, until I developed the film.

So are you saying you should have pointed the meter more toward the ground, not the scene?

My first Reveni meter was the incident meter, which also includes a reflective mode, so I figured that would be the most versatile of his offerings. But everything I shot with the reflective meter was strongly underexposed and I thought the meter was defective. I did point it a bit down when shooting scenes, but clearly I wasn't pointing it down enough. I sent it back to him and exchanged it for a spot meter (which I love); he tested the incident meter and said everything was reading correctly, so it was just bad metering technique on my part.

Feb 14, 2024 at 03:38 AM
madNbad
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Experiences with Reveni labs light meter

bjhurley wrote:
So are you saying you should have pointed the meter more toward the ground, not the scene?

My first Reveni meter was the incident meter, which also includes a reflective mode, so I figured that would be the most versatile of his offerings. But everything I shot with the reflective meter was strongly underexposed and I thought the meter was defective. I did point it a bit down when shooting scenes, but clearly I wasn't pointing it down enough. I sent it back to him and exchanged it for a spot meter (which I love); he tested the incident meter and
...Show more

With the previous cubes, if it was a high contrast scene, I would shield the meter and try to get a close to the main subject for a reading. The bright overcast sky combined with the deep shadows caused by the buildings created just that type of scene. I wasnít sure how long my wifeís appointment would be, so I rushed a bit. As it turned out, there was enough time for another roll. My main meter is a Sekonic 308X that I use in incident mode. Switching to the Reveniís reflective reading threw me off a bit but I really bought it to use with my Retinaís, instead of carrying a meter that is as large as the camera. Now that I know what to be aware of, Iíll use it with the 1a, taking time for a few readings.
Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:09 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.