New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

"2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

LBJ2
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

mirrorlessrumors.com posted a translated and summarized by digicame-info.com recent Phototrends interview with the CEO of Leica France:

(Regarding the L-mount system)

-The L-mount alliance is becoming more and more active. We are very satisfied with the sales of the SL system. Although the SL is not as good as the Leica M and Q in terms of quantity, it is a system that is becoming more popular.

(Regarding the recently released Leica Q3)

-All I can say is that it is selling like hotcakes. Q3 demand is really crazy. So far, Q3 sales have taken off like a rocket. There have been many orders and it has been very well received in the market. In addition, Q2, which is now in its fourth year, has recorded the highest sales volume ever in France.

(Mr. Kaufmann said that “2023 will be the best year in Leica’s history, but will that be the case in France as well?)

In France, Leica has been experiencing strong double-digit growth every year for five years. 2023 is on track to be a great year for Leica. I’m very positive about Leica’s future.

(The end of sales of the S series SLR cameras has been announced, but what will happen in the future?)

Currently, the S3 has been discontinued, but there are plans for the S4 in the future. I don’t think that will happen anytime soon, and I don’t think it will happen until 2024. I don’t know if it will be in 2025, but Leica is planning a medium format hybrid mirrorless camera.

(Is there any information about SL3?)

SL3 will of course appear, but we don’t know exactly when that will happen at this point.

(About the Portuguese factory)
In addition to producing specific spare parts, this factory also produces binoculars, spotting scopes, laser rangefinders, rifle scopes, etc.

Original source:
https://phototrend.fr/2023/10/interview-leica-salon-de-la-photo-2023/
https://digicame-info.com/2023/10/q3-10.html

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com

Edited on Oct 20, 2023 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2023 at 03:50 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

Herr Kaufmann also added:
"No-one has come close to selling as many cameras that scratch film in 2023 as Leica has. Not even Holga. We are proud of this tremendous achievement"

Oct 20, 2023 at 03:56 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

crhulhu wrote:
Note that he didn’t mention the M once. When your focus is catering to the Sony users, something has to give. In this case is the M. The plan has to be to turn the M into a Q. That’s where the focus is now.

But he did mention the M. He said it is still Leica's number one selling line. I guess that says all that needs to be said in that regard doesn't it?

crhulhu wrote:
I guess this is exciting for those who own Leica stock. Not sure how any of this is relevant to me. Unless the headline reads “2023 will be the fastest service fix and return back to customers in Leica’s history”.

Leica is privately held at this point. So no publicly traded stock price. Leica Camera AG's ownership is divided among two entities: 55% owned by ACM Projektentwicklung GmbH and 45% owned by The Blackstone Group.

Oct 20, 2023 at 09:41 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

crhulhu wrote:
@1bwana1@

He said 0 about the Leica M. Quote it if he did. I don’t see it. It was all about the Q and the L, which are the focus, and the M is following suit as I said. The focus is NOT rangefinders. The M at this point for them is about the look of the rangefinder camera which is attractive to hipsters.

OK Here you are. "Although the SL is not as good as the Leica M and Q in terms of quantity, it is a system that is becoming more popular".

You are welcome.

The M camera line is currently the most flexible camera system being produced. It offers the Worlds best Range Finder experience, an excellent rear screen experience, and a very good EVF experience. Along with its other attributes, the leica M is about the shooting experience and how that influences creativity.

crhulhu wrote:
Yes Leica belongs to 2 entities. The sales numbers only matter to them. Not to me. How is it important to me how many Q3’s they’ve sold?

That is a very narcistic, short sighted and ignorant view to how the overall health of a company affects its customers, vendors, and equity holders.

crhulhu wrote:
This may be news to you, but privately held companies (clears throat) can and do issue stocks and have shareholders. They just don’t trade it publicly, because they’re private.

I am guessing that there are many reading this thread who just about choked themselves laughing at the ignorance of what you just posted. It is likely that I know much more about such things than you realize.

Edited on Oct 20, 2023 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:38 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

@crhulhu just joined today, three posts, confrontational… it’s Carlos re-incarnated! Yet again…

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:40 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

Desmolicious wrote:
@crhulhu@ just joined today, three posts, confrontational… it’s Carlos re-incarnated! Yet again…

I think you are correct Huss. This is a very sad individual.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:45 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

This is good news for photog sector in general imo. Seems like yesterday all blogs were looking grim. Kinda reminds of me of lux car market, stuff just ended up getting crazier in a good way and the knowledge base and appreciation as a whole went up.

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:21 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

LBJ2 wrote:
mirrorlessrumors.com posted a translated and summarized by digicame-info.com recent Phototrends interview with the CEO of Leica France:

(Regarding the L-mount system)

-The L-mount alliance is becoming more and more active. We are very satisfied with the sales of the SL system. Although the SL is not as good as the Leica M and Q in terms of quantity, it is a system that is becoming more popular.

(Regarding the recently released Leica Q3)

-All I can say is that it is selling like hotcakes. Q3 demand is really crazy. So far, Q3 sales have taken off like a rocket. There have been many orders
...Show more

Good to hear that Leica is going strong and also that the SL line is doing well.

Oct 21, 2023 at 02:30 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

joakim wrote:
Good to hear that Leica is going strong and also that the SL line is doing well.

I think this is the first time I am reading anything about Leica SL sales performance from a reputable source. It does seem positive news for the SL system.

Oct 21, 2023 at 06:00 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

ftllens wrote:
This is good news for photog sector in general imo. Seems like yesterday all blogs were looking grim. Kinda reminds of me of lux car market, stuff just ended up getting crazier in a good way and the knowledge base and appreciation as a whole went up.

"This is good news for photog sector in general"
I feel the same. Not without its faults, but looks like there is still something about a Leica.

Oct 21, 2023 at 06:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

prh5551
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

If World War III happens it won't be an issue.

Oct 21, 2023 at 07:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

crhulhu wrote:
My original comment was that this is only important to “those who own Leica stock”.

Imo, that's an incredibly shallow perspective.

The "stockowners" are not the only ones who benefit from a company's success. Profitability means sustainability. Profitability means opportunities for future development. Profitability means ability to take good care of their employees. Profitability means ability to be philanthropic. Profitability means ability to take expand product offerings. Profitability means the ability to advance the product cycle. Profitability means ability to take risks. Profitability means ability to increase marketing, which in turn has the potential to increase sales. Profitability means the ability to absorb losses. Profitability means ability to advance customer service. Profitability means ability to increase reliability. Profitability means the ability to weather the ups / downs that are certain to follow. Profitability means perceptive value of the company by the consumer. Profitability provides valuation to the secondary market, too, even for those selling their Leica gear. Profitability means the opportunity to advance the broader education. Profitability means the ability to continually retain history. Profitability means the ability to retain serviceability for legacy products. Profitability means the ability to attract and retain the best and brightest in the industry to the continued development of our beloved craft. Profitability means the ability to provide security to employees. Profitability means the ability to provide more positions for more employees. Profitability means ... A LOT.

Profitability means more than just a few extra bucks to be shared with the stockholders.

Alternatively, lack of profitability is likely the number one reason for the demise of companies.

So, sure ... it is ONLY important to these who own Leica stock. Not even remotely close, imo. It is important (or should be) to EVERYONE who owns a Leica, and is somehow vested into the Leica realm. Even those who aren't vested in Leica, should be able to acknowledge that as companies prosper, it is also a reflection of a broader indicator that relates back to the consumer, employees and the world beyond just the shareholders interest ... who, btw, are loaning the company money to be able to advance the aforementioned aspects, and share some of the risks associated with all of the above, thus they also share in the reward(s).

The lack of regard for how widely, profitability of a company impacts more than the shareholders alone, reveals the depth of (or lack thereof) consideration given to what it really means to be a good company, with a good product(s) that provides services and products to the consumer. Hopefully, the above mentioned items (and others, not mentioned) give pause to realize that there are more than just stockholders who deem profitability to be important.

Oct 21, 2023 at 08:41 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

A bit more data on Leica's 2022/23 financial year:

According to an article posted on www.macfilos.com

https://www.macfilos.com/2024/02/22/leica-sales-revenue-increases-for-third-successive-year/

"In its results for the 2022/23 financial year, Leica sales revenue increased for the third year in succession and forecasts promising future development. Revenue of Leica Camera Group grew nine percent (€485m compared with last year’s €444m) and the company achieved a record high...

Leica sales revenue: M11 boost

According to Leica, the success of the M11 was one of the most significant factors powering growth. The M11-P and the M11 Monochrom created further milestones in the development of the iconic rangefinder series, which has been the company’s flagship product since the introduction of the M3 in 1954. In 2024, the company will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the M.

In addition to this, the company has seen strong demand for the Leica Q3 in its third generation and notes positive feedback on the cameras and lenses in the mirrorless SL system."

Feb 22, 2024 at 07:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

Leica has certainly found its profitable niche in the photo industry. The luxury brand based strategy works even if it is driving up prices to higher levels and avoiding formerly available a bit more budget friendly gear options.

From reading reviews and statements in forums like this, the M11 "success" is more kind of a mixed bag from a practical user POV. The camera was certainly plagued in the beginning with several firmware based issues of some have been resolved. Some consider the M10-R still the better option for several discussed reasons.

If Leica feels strong regarding profitability, I hope it does not diminish or slow down needed innovation in their photo line.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:49 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

retrofocus wrote:
Leica has certainly found its profitable niche in the photo industry. The luxury brand based strategy works even if it is driving up prices to higher levels and avoiding formerly available a bit more budget friendly gear options.

This is not necessarily a bad thing unless you really want an all-Leica rangefinder kit. Rising prices create a larger void at the mid and lower ends for others to sustainably operate and provide options to those looking for a more 'grounded' alternative to Leica's offerings. For example Cosina's Voigtlander lenses. The multiple options coming out of China. Sure, you still have to source a costly Leica M body, but once over that hurdle, your lens options are extremely broad.

It's conceivable that as future new M bodies inevitably pass the $10K mark that someone will see a sustainable opportunity to enter at half that.

In any case, as Leica's prices increase and their product line is void of entry level options, they're certainly providing opportunities for others to undercut them.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:03 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

retrofocus wrote:

From reading reviews and statements in forums like this, the M11 "success" is more kind of a mixed bag from a practical user POV. The camera was certainly plagued in the beginning with several firmware based issues of some have been resolved. Some consider the M10-R still the better option for several discussed reasons.

If Leica feels strong regarding profitability, I hope it
...Show more

"According to Leica, the success of the M11 was one of the most significant factors powering growth"

I'm not surprised to learn M11 has been a major part of their record revenue/ profitability. I owned and very much liked the M10-R, but I like using the M11 more as it comes with a nice list of features that I may not need, but I find very useful often while maintaining a true rangefinder experience...and that M11 sensor! ... which I hope to see very soon in the new SL3!

Yes. There have been M11 problems which seems to have calmed down significantly with latest firmware, but still some camera legitimate freeze issues reported by some. Why so many of us don't have these M11 issues and others do, is perplexing and probably bloody frustrating for Leica engineers to identify and solve any lingering issues as well.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

Every M release has had bugs!

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:24 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

rscheffler wrote:

Yes. This is what I read and have myself experienced.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:26 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

Between the continued success of the Q series and the x100 line, it’s even more stupid Sony killed the RX1

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:08 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "2023 will be the best year [sales] in Leica’s history"

rscheffler wrote:

Not true, not with their film Ms!

Oh wait, the new 2022 M6 scratches film. Never mind.

Feb 22, 2024 at 02:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.