New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32              34       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

urbanwild wrote:
Completely naive about Leica cameras here, but I'm highly considering a Nikon Zf and picking up some Voigtlander Noctons as a smaller kit than some of my current gear. With that said, I don't want to sacrifice image quality much. I look at a picture like in the link below and wonder if I can achieve the same image with the same lens but on a Nikon Zf? I would think so because I can certainly get such images with my Nikon gear and it usually comes down to the lens with most modern cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guava0823/53503298081/in/photolist-2pvUouz-rS6N8W-2oxRiVo-2on32uc-2on32tW-2osvMH5-2n4H9vG-2hyMwsN-2onVJdu-2kCgyQa-2oZdXnu-2hXCuf5-2kTDkPg-2jRxHT6-2orsUPu-2kcsyga-2oxJpUo-2mkb1kt-2i4A2Uo-2omQePT-F6xKqL-2or4svc-2kTCw2y-2e7DKKx-2gCR3SS-2orf7Rt-2e4rUAk-2mNauEG-2okeLmn-2nacTeq-2585uZu-2gYyU8R-2gVC3qz-2nnVg89-2gXt8wn-2m4KLAt-2ngRiuh-2onAkhA-2gZ7uim-suFSrD-2gEuFzq-2oqP1W6-pXTFCc-2ppSosW-pxGnk4-2iB3SPQ-2kEaBji-VafhCU-FwDQNH-2oZdXeZ

I have a Leica M11 and just added a Nikon ZF to my kit. I've been playing around with the ZF with my Leica M APO telephoto prime lenses and overall can say the image quality is very good. I think the colors are a bit different due to different color science in the leica and nikon cameras but overall it renders very nicely and the color clarity of the APO primes are still there. The 61mp sensor definitely pulls out more detail than the 24mp but I'd say it's good enough. The TTArtisan adapter works mostly well and I got focus confirm working out of the box but I do get some vignetting on my Leica 135mm APO but not the 75mm APO.

The main thing to consider is you want a "smaller kit" - compared to a leica M camera, the Nikon ZF body is noticeably bigger and heavier. If you want a small kit, can live with a rangefinder and can afford it, get a Leica M camera. If you want something close but with a lot more modern conveniences, the ZF is very good.

May 08, 2024 at 12:43 PM
urbanwild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

tzhang4284 wrote:
I have a Leica M11 and just added a Nikon ZF to my kit. I've been playing around with the ZF with my Leica M APO telephoto prime lenses and overall can say the image quality is very good. I think the colors are a bit different due to different color science in the leica and nikon cameras but overall it renders very nicely and the color clarity of the APO primes are still there. The 61mp sensor definitely pulls out more detail than the 24mp but I'd say it's good enough. The TTArtisan adapter works mostly well and I
...Show more

This is really helpful thanks! I absolutely love the look of Leica images, particularly with the 28mm summicron. Unfortunately not in my budget and I wouldn't want to part with most of my other Nikon gear to get into Leica. I do want to create an additional smaller kit for travel though and I appreciate your comparison with the Zf and Leica! I think I'll give up on the Z6iii wait and look forward to what the Zf offers and play around with some manual lenses. Cheers!

May 08, 2024 at 03:17 PM
snoogly

p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Any thoughts on the Voigtlander 25mm f4 snapshot-skopar?

I am contemplating buying an 39mm screw version to use on my ZF via a 39-M adapter + the ttartisan 6 bit adapter.

May 11, 2024 at 06:35 PM
snoogly

p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Darn it! Went ahead and bought it anyway :-)

May 11, 2024 at 09:32 PM
torifile
• •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Anyone know of any comparisons between the Voigtlander 50mm APO z mount and an adapted 50mm M mount APO?

May 12, 2024 at 08:24 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

snoogly wrote:

I am contemplating buying an 39mm screw version to use on my ZF via a 39-M adapter + the ttartisan 6 bit adapter.

Afaik it won't play nice with the Nikon sensor stack thickness. You'll probably end up with mushy corners.

May 12, 2024 at 10:09 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

torifile wrote:
Anyone know of any comparisons between the Voigtlander 50mm APO z mount and an adapted 50mm M mount APO?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1736389/0

May 12, 2024 at 10:11 AM
ndwgolf1
• •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

A before and after of my ZF with a new sexier adapter for the Nikkor 135:2.0 AIS lens🥰
I havenít tried it yet but it sure looks better than the FTZ II adapter

Before with the FTZ II adapter

After with the K&F Adapter

May 14, 2024 at 09:12 AM
torifile
• •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Shot with my Leica 35mm 'cron using the TT Artisans 6-bit adapter

NIKON Z f    Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH lens    35mm    f/5.6    1/200s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 17, 2024 at 07:46 PM
mapgraphs
• • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

snoogly wrote:

It all depends on how well the particular copy is centered. 25mm snapshot skopar on a Z7:

It makes for a nice kit along with an ltm version of the Voigtlšnder 40mm f/2.8 Heliar.

May 18, 2024 at 06:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sonnar-7
• •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf & MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3

May 20, 2024 at 04:33 AM
NovaDNG

p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

The most noteworthy lose by using autofocus adapter is that all the benefits of implementing floating element design (which almost every good lens from ~50 years has incoporated) are gone. But for lens with a simpler design I fully agree with what you said.

torifile wrote:
I received my techart adapter today. So far, Iím very impressed. So Iíve got to ask: whatís the benefit of using Nikon autofocus primes over some M mount glass + the adapter?

Iím looking at the humongous Nikon 50mm 1.8 S next to my tiny 50mm Leica lensÖ

Edited on May 22, 2024 at 09:23 AM · View previous versions

May 22, 2024 at 07:42 AM
NovaDNG

p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

After two days of reading this information-packed thread, I think I finally understand how Zf's MF assist works with different lenses, and here's my summary:

First of all, subject detect focus assist is avaliable regardless of what type of lens is mounted.
- AF lens: rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens with CPU (native or adapated via adapter with CPU): rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU via FTZ: focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU via an adapter with CPU: rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU: no added feature
- Any lens with an adapter without CPU: no added feature.

So for some examples,
- Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G adpated via Megadap ETZ21 Pro, you'll get all features
- Leica Elmar 50mm f/2.8 via Voigtlander VM-Z Close focus adapter, you don't get additional features
- Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Biotar 58mm f/1.5 II in Z mount, you don't get additional features
- AI Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P via Nikon FTZ II, you'll get all features
- Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f/2 via Nikon FTZ II, only focus confirmation
- Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f/2 via some F to M adapter then Techart TZM-02, you'll get all features
- Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f/2 via some F to E adapter then Megadap ETZ21 Pro, you'll get all features

Please correct me if I got anything wrong. I hope this can help someone as confused as I was (and I really think it's Nikon's marketing team's job to make this clear).

May 22, 2024 at 08:23 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Very pleased so far. Though I did have to pop off the rim and adjust infinity focus as the G-to-M conversion was done more poorly than I had hoped.

May 22, 2024 at 01:58 PM
snoogly

p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

NovaDNG wrote:
After two days of reading this information-packed thread, I think I finally understand how Zf's MF assist works with different lenses, and here's my summary:

First of all, subject detect focus assist is avaliable regardless of what type of lens is mounted.
- AF lens: rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens with CPU (native or adapated via adapter with CPU): rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU via FTZ: focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU via an adapter with CPU: rangefinder, focus confirmation
- MF lens without CPU: no added feature
- Any lens with an adapter without CPU: no added feature.

So for
...Show more

Itís a complicated story, but you got the gist of it. In addition there are Dandelion chips, particularly for Nikkor ais lenses - but in that case there is no ibis.

There are swings and balances all over the place, juggling convenience for hassle. For me, Dandelion chips have been my main path - but for 80mm, 105mm, 135mm, and even 500mm (mirror lens), lenses the loss of ibis can be a challenge to the plus of focus confirmation.

May 23, 2024 at 02:26 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Correct me if I'm wrong but for IBIS can't you set a non-CPU lens profile and IBIS should then work?

May 23, 2024 at 11:41 AM
snoogly

p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Dandelion = CPU = not non-CPU

May 23, 2024 at 04:08 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

snoogly wrote:
Dandelion = CPU = not non-CPU

Yes I understand that Dandelion chips = CPU.

Then wouldn't the CPU lens relay (enough) info for IBIS to work? Sorry if I'm missing something. Unless you're using a dumb adapter or a non-chipped lens, which means the non-CPU lens alternative (non-CPU lens info). I get the focus confirmation permutations but don't quite get the IBIS ones if my understanding is wrong.

May 24, 2024 at 09:50 AM
Thury

p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

chasdfg wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but for IBIS can't you set a non-CPU lens profile and IBIS should then work?

Yes. If you manually select the focal length (and aperture but this seems useless for IBIS) even the first generation Zs (6,7, ...) have IBIS working.

May 24, 2024 at 10:50 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

chasdfg wrote:

For three-axis IBIS only. To get five-axis, the lens (or lens and adapter) need to be able to communicate focus distance.

May 24, 2024 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.