New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31              33       34       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

fjablo wrote:
That was not the question though.. the question was what the benefit of bigger Z glass is and there are definitely benefits. Whether one considers them relevant or not is a completely different topicÖ.

We are never shooting glass alone. We are shooting a system. The Nikon glass is designed to shoot on the Nikon sensor. The Leica glass is designed to shoot on a Leica sensor with it's thinner sensor cover and asymmetrical micro lenses. When I look at the performance across brands what I see is that the size differences are more about AF than optics. It is possible to engineer high optical performance in a smaller package without AF. The Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM is considered to be the be best performing AF lens in its class with a much smaller and lighter design.

All that being said, I don't see why someone would adapt a MF Leica lens to a non optimal designed sensor, and try to convert it to an AF lens through an adapter hack. That will likely never produce optimal results.

Apr 30, 2024 at 05:27 AM
fjablo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
All that being said, I don't see why someone would adapt a MF Leica lens to a non optimal designed sensor, and try to convert it to an AF lens through an adapter hack. That will likely never produce optimal results.

Kind of agree with this part, but IĎm also tempted to do it

I also adapt M glass to my Zf (35mm Nokton, 75mm Ultron) although the Nokton does not play perfectly with the Nikon cover glass thickness. My rationale is that the Nikon system is not offering me the same ultra compact yet fast 35mm option and the M system does not offer me the camera I want (with EVF and focus assist tools like the Zf or Canon RF have them) nor the price point IĎm willing to pay.

Compromises everywhere

Apr 30, 2024 at 05:58 AM
Thury

p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

1bwana1 wrote:

I would use neither a Zf as it's huge nor an autofocus adapter that introduces necessarily some mechanical play and is no use to me but a Voigtlander VM lens on a Z6 makes for a small package, at a reasonable price with a nice high ISO and Ibis. In short, a camera that I can use. Even if the corners are not optimal they are good enough that I have not had any comments on them from anybody...

Apr 30, 2024 at 06:07 AM
ndwgolf1
• •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

ndwgolf1 wrote:
So I have just arrived back in Phuket, the two adapters that I ordered from Amazon have arrived already and they are the NEEWER NW-ETZ Auto focus lens adapter
K&F Concept NIK (G)-E

With these two adapters I can confirm that I am now getting the red square box turning green when in focus.........I also get the left and right arrows telling me which way to turn the focus ring to get focus.

Expensive but got nothing else to spend my money on so happy that I got them.........they also look cool on the camera

Okay not as cool as first thought. This morning me and my girlfriend went for a photoshoot near our home using my ZF plus Nikkor 55:1.2 Pre AI and the two new adapters above.............

When I got home and loaded the pictures into Lightroom I'm like "WTF happened here", all the pictures taken with my Nikkor 55mm lens were soft soft (shot at ISO400 f2 1/60). I initially thought it was because of the ISO/slow shutter speed, but I have shot that lens at lower shutter speeds than that and the images were sharp. I then I decided to run one of the pictures through a Photoshop action that I created for portraiture and it actually came out not to bad (still very soft but to my eye pleasing) Picture # 1
Ive used that lens before on the ZF using the Nikon FTZ II adapter and the results I got were good, so I decided to do a test using the new adapters and the Nikon FTZ II adapter...........the results below
Picture # 2 is with the new adapters
Picture # 3 is with the Nikon FTZ II adapter

Its very clear to me that the Nikon FTZ II adapter is so much sharper that the other adapters

Ive contacted Amazon and will return both of these adapters and just continue to use the FTZ II adapter

May 01, 2024 at 01:02 AM
Malabito
• •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

ndwgolf1 wrote:
Okay not as cool as first thought. This morning me and my girlfriend went for a photoshoot near our home using my ZF plus Nikkor 55:1.2 Pre AI and the two new adapters above.............

When I got home and loaded the pictures into Lightroom I'm like "WTF happened here", all the pictures taken with my Nikkor 55mm lens were soft soft (shot at ISO400 f2 1/60). I initially thought it was because of the ISO/slow shutter speed, but I have shot that lens at lower shutter speeds than that and the images were sharp. I then I decided to run one
...Show more

Adapters are not sharper.... you shot out of focus... only issue with the adapter might be infinity focusing or if it has autofocus.

55m and shooting at 1/60 is not recommended, unless you were using a flash and still its quite a low shutter speed. The issue doesn't seem to be with the adapter but with the person operating the tool. Both images look like out of focus.

May 01, 2024 at 02:49 AM
ndwgolf1
• •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Malabito wrote:
Adapters are not sharper.... you shot out of focus... only issue with the adapter might be infinity focusing or if it has autofocus.

55m and shooting at 1/60 is not recommended, unless you were using a flash and still its quite a low shutter speed. The issue doesn't seem to be with the adapter but with the person operating the tool. Both images look like out of focus.

Itís definitely the adapter. There on the way back to Amazon

May 01, 2024 at 03:14 AM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I really love my Zf, itís a dream camera for me despite some enraging quirks that could probably be fixed in firmware, I almost use it only with manual lenses. The autofocus ones are handy when the weather is bad.

MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 Slim & NikonZf

May 01, 2024 at 03:09 PM
phinix
• • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Sonnar-7 wrote:
I really love my Zf, itís a dream camera for me despite some enraging quirks that could probably be fixed in firmware, I almost use it only with manual lenses. The autofocus ones are handy when the weather is bad.

MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 Slim & NikonZf

What lens did you use for these photos?
Look fantastic!

May 01, 2024 at 06:56 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

phinix wrote:
What lens did you use for these photos?
Look fantastic!

Thank you! I used a MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 Slim, there are some easier to find lenses I have that can achieve something similar to this one, my go to lenses for these kind of results are the Sonnetar mentioned above, the Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm 1.5 and the Light Lens Lab Speed Panchro II 50mm f2.
Each has its little differences in rendering but even though the optical formulas are different they go for a similar look in some capacity.
There are some other I didnít get the chance to try though.

May 02, 2024 at 02:17 AM
torifile
• •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Sonnar-7 wrote:
Thank you! I used a MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 Slim, there are some easier to find lenses I have that can achieve something similar to this one, my go to lenses for these kind of results are the Sonnetar mentioned above, the Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm 1.5 and the Light Lens Lab Speed Panchro II 50mm f2.
Each has its little differences in rendering but even though the optical formulas are different they go for a similar look in some capacity.
There are some other I didnít get the chance to try though.

I may have missed it, but what adapter are you using?

May 02, 2024 at 12:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sonnar-7
• •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

torifile wrote:
I may have missed it, but what adapter are you using?

Lately I use a M to Z TTartisan 6-bit adapter, sometimes a close-focus M to Z Voigtlander adapter but it wonít work with all my M lenses for some reason.
When I had a Z6 ii I often used a simple TTartisan M to Z adapter, it worked with all the M lenses perfectly and was the most well made adapter I tried.
The 6-bit adapter is great, I recommend it. Very well crafted and all the lenses I tried on it were spot on for the infinity.

May 02, 2024 at 01:39 PM
pdesopo

p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Lately I use a M to Z TTartisan 6-bit adapter, sometimes a close-focus M to Z Voigtlander adapter but it wonít work with all my M lenses for some reason.
When I had a Z6 ii I often used a simple TTartisan M to Z adapter, it worked with all the M lenses perfectly and was the most well made adapter I tried.
The 6-bit adapter is great, I recommend it. Very well crafted and all the lenses I tried on it were spot on for the infinity.

Is it this one?
https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m-z-6bit-adapter-ring

I was looking into this adapter just the other day.
I wonder what would be the advantage of using this 6 bit with my Voigtlšnder 28mm (Leica M) over a dummy adapter.
Would I get EXIF information?

May 06, 2024 at 03:34 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

pdesopo wrote:
Is it this one?
https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m-z-6bit-adapter-ring

I was looking into this adapter just the other day.
I wonder what would be the advantage of using this 6 bit with my Voigtlšnder 28mm (Leica M) over a dummy adapter.
Would I get EXIF information?

Yeah, thatís the one I use. I was raving about it more for the craft of it and the fact that you get the green box confirmation of the focus with it. The Exif would be the least interesting aspect for me.
One more thing, itís fairly light, the Zf is less likely to dive forward with a kind of heavy lens on it.

May 06, 2024 at 04:50 PM
pdesopo

p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Sonnar-7 wrote:
Yeah, thatís the one I use. I was raving about it more for the craft of it and the fact that you get the green box confirmation of the focus with it. The Exif would be the least interesting aspect for me.
One more thing, itís fairly light, the Zf is less likely to dive forward with a kind of heavy lens on it.

Oh, that's great! I thought to have a good focus confirmation performance, one would need electronic contact on the lens itself.
Thanks, I'll try this 6 bit version then.

May 06, 2024 at 04:52 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Completely naive about Leica cameras here, but I'm highly considering a Nikon Zf and picking up some Voigtlander Noctons as a smaller kit than some of my current gear. With that said, I don't want to sacrifice image quality much. I look at a picture like in the link below and wonder if I can achieve the same image with the same lens but on a Nikon Zf? I would think so because I can certainly get such images with my Nikon gear and it usually comes down to the lens with most modern cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guava0823/53503298081/in/photolist-2pvUouz-rS6N8W-2oxRiVo-2on32uc-2on32tW-2osvMH5-2n4H9vG-2hyMwsN-2onVJdu-2kCgyQa-2oZdXnu-2hXCuf5-2kTDkPg-2jRxHT6-2orsUPu-2kcsyga-2oxJpUo-2mkb1kt-2i4A2Uo-2omQePT-F6xKqL-2or4svc-2kTCw2y-2e7DKKx-2gCR3SS-2orf7Rt-2e4rUAk-2mNauEG-2okeLmn-2nacTeq-2585uZu-2gYyU8R-2gVC3qz-2nnVg89-2gXt8wn-2m4KLAt-2ngRiuh-2onAkhA-2gZ7uim-suFSrD-2gEuFzq-2oqP1W6-pXTFCc-2ppSosW-pxGnk4-2iB3SPQ-2kEaBji-VafhCU-FwDQNH-2oZdXeZ

May 07, 2024 at 03:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

urbanwild wrote:
Completely naive about Leica cameras here, but I'm highly considering a Nikon Zf and picking up some Voigtlander Noctons as a smaller kit than some of my current gear. With that said, I don't want to sacrifice image quality much. I look at a picture like in the link below and wonder if I can achieve the same image with the same lens but on a Nikon Zf? I would think so because I can certainly get such images with my Nikon gear and it usually comes down to the lens with most modern cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guava0823/53503298081/in/photolist-2pvUouz-rS6N8W-2oxRiVo-2on32uc-2on32tW-2osvMH5-2n4H9vG-2hyMwsN-2onVJdu-2kCgyQa-2oZdXnu-2hXCuf5-2kTDkPg-2jRxHT6-2orsUPu-2kcsyga-2oxJpUo-2mkb1kt-2i4A2Uo-2omQePT-F6xKqL-2or4svc-2kTCw2y-2e7DKKx-2gCR3SS-2orf7Rt-2e4rUAk-2mNauEG-2okeLmn-2nacTeq-2585uZu-2gYyU8R-2gVC3qz-2nnVg89-2gXt8wn-2m4KLAt-2ngRiuh-2onAkhA-2gZ7uim-suFSrD-2gEuFzq-2oqP1W6-pXTFCc-2ppSosW-pxGnk4-2iB3SPQ-2kEaBji-VafhCU-FwDQNH-2oZdXeZ

Of course you can. You could even just adapt that lens to the ZF and get basically the same photo out of the box. It's all about the glass.

May 07, 2024 at 03:07 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

urbanwild wrote:

That lens is about to drop in native Z mount too.

May 07, 2024 at 03:23 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

RoamingScott wrote:
That lens is about to drop in native Z mount too.

Beautiful - thanks!

May 07, 2024 at 07:07 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Cosina chose wisely with this one now produced for mirrorless. A very high hit rate ensues from this very assured lens.

'I would think so because I can certainly get such images with my Nikon gear'

I respectfully disagree, I think you will find they are in quite different classes, targeting different user aesthetics. The fast Voigts are very distinctive optics, out at the other end of the spectrum from the Z series which embody popular taste (sharp focal plane/big smooth bokeh/complex design (12/8)).

In its favour, the 75/1.5 has more APD glass in a design with half the complexity (7/6), a half stop more lens speed and a 12-blade aperture. Its rearmost element is an aspherical, in common with the Otuses that Cosina made for Zeiss. This gives the lucky user very sharp results at middle apertures and gorgeous colour.

75s are rather different to the mainstream offerings at 85mm also, yielding greater depth and context. So you now have this Voigtlander/Leica sensibility as a Z option. I doubt it will sell well in Nikon form, as Sony has always been the lens adapters' choice of mirrorless mount, helped greatly by the early release of CV lenses in E mount, back in 2017.

May 08, 2024 at 12:34 AM
Jepser
• •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

philip_pj wrote:
... I doubt it will sell well in Nikon form, as Sony has always been the lens adapters' choice of mirrorless mount, helped greatly by the early release of CV lenses in E mount, back in 2017.

I've already ordered mine But I think you might be wrong. Many of the fullframe Voigtlšnder Z-lenses has been short in stock since the Zf was launched. For example, MPB wants allmost double the original price for a used 40/1.2. B&H has most of the lenses temporarily out of stock for months...

May 08, 2024 at 03:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.