Desmolicious wrote:
not quite. who do u think makes Lomo Metropolis?
I dunno, you tell me! Who else is making color film? I just know I'd seen the phrase "last two making color film" about Kodak and Fuji in a bunch of articles, and every smaller brand I look up seems to turn to out be Kodak motion picture film (and, hell, apparently now even Fuji 400 is Ultramax?!).
Lee Saxon wrote:
I dunno, you tell me! Who else is making color film? I just know I'd seen the phrase "last two making color film" about Kodak and Fuji in a bunch of articles, and every smaller brand I look up seems to turn to out be Kodak motion picture film (and, hell, apparently now even Fuji 400 is Ultramax?!).
Inoviscoat Filmotec in Germany. They make Lomo Metropolis, Lomochrome Purple etc
lifeandmylens wrote:
Now that I’ve got developing costs down to $6 (not including shipping, but I’m working on that). What are some other films I could use in place of portra 160, 400, 800 (mostly to save on costs)?
I’ve already ordered a 5 pack of Gold 200 from mpex. That’ll be my next one to try. What other color film would you all recommend? Ultramax 400?
The lab near me is quite famous: TheDarkroom.com. They specialize in film processing, and the cost is only $8, which includes shipping. I wish they offered drop-off services since it's just a 2-minute drive from my home in San Clemente. You can find more information here:
Fred Miranda wrote:
The lab near me is quite famous: TheDarkroom.com. They specialize in film processing, and the cost is only $8, which includes shipping. I wish they offered drop-off services since it's just a 2-minute drive from my home in San Clemente. You can find more information here:
They charge a bit more for slide film (E-6) and can even do custom processing like push and pull.
The Darkroom bolloxed my film too many times for me to ever recommend them. I much prefer NorthcoastPhoto which is in the area.
Now - I dev and scan my own B&W, have my local shop - Paul's Photo in Torrance - dev my colour film which I then scan myself. (Nikon Z7, 60 2.8 G, NLP).
Desmolicious wrote:
The Darkroom bolloxed my film too many times for me to ever recommend them. I much prefer NorthcoastPhoto which is in the area.
Now - I dev and scan my own B&W, have my local shop - Paul's Photo in Torrance - dev my colour film which I then scan myself. (Nikon Z7, 60 2.8 G, NLP).
That sounds like a good idea! What issues did you encounter with The Darkroom? I'm about to send them a roll of Ektar film for developing.
Fred Miranda wrote:
That sounds like a good idea! What issues did you encounter with The Darkroom? I'm about to send them a roll of Ektar film for developing.
I only used The Darkroom a handful of times early on in my film shooting, and my only issue was a scratched roll. Their scans were nice, though, and didn't show the scratch. I do my own B&W dev and scan now, but I still order their silver gelatin prints, which I think are just excellent.
Fred Miranda wrote:
That sounds like a good idea! What issues did you encounter with The Darkroom? I'm about to send them a roll of Ektar film for developing.
Once they damaged the film but it was more with their scans. I’d get scans with solid blue scan lines running across them. And they would do nothing to make it right. One of many reasons why I started scanning film myself.
I discovered a video showing a much simpler way to load film onto a developing reel compared to doing it inside a bag. I haven't noticed any downsides to this method. Has anyone else given it a try?
Fred Miranda wrote:
I discovered a video showing a much simpler way to load film onto a developing reel compared to doing it inside a bag. I haven't noticed any downsides to this method. Has anyone else given it a try?
This is the method I use, but I typically load onto the developing reel in the dark bag. I’ve done it so many times, I don’t need to see it. That is the same film leader retriever I have. Bought 30+ years ago at a camera store. Not sure if they still sell them. Bought the current model Kaiser retriever thinking it would be better and it’s way more complicated. I couldn’t get it to work after a couple tries and gave up.
This is a good method for those starting out as the most difficult part can be getting the film onto the developing reel.
Fred Miranda wrote:
I discovered a video showing a much simpler way to load film onto a developing reel compared to doing it inside a bag. I haven't noticed any downsides to this method. Has anyone else given it a try?
I use a leader retriever to start. I found that by flipping the cassette so the emulation side is up makes it easier for me to see where to trim the leader from where the curve starts. I have also started using a cassette opener at the end of the roll. With the current batch of Tri-X, there is very little film left between the last frame and the spool. After a few rolls of almost cutting off part of the last frame, I started pulling the spool out.
ZacP wrote:
This is the method I use, but I typically load onto the developing reel in the dark bag. I’ve done it so many times, I don’t need to see it. That is the same film leader retriever I have. Bought 30+ years ago at a camera store. Not sure if they still sell them. Bought the current model Kaiser retriever thinking it would be better and it’s way more complicated. I couldn’t get it to work after a couple tries and gave up.
This is a good method for those starting out as the most difficult part can be getting the film onto the developing reel. ...Show more →
With retrievers like the Kaiser, slide the first strip in, turn the film till you hear a click, slide in the second strip and pull.
Fred Miranda wrote:
I discovered a video showing a much simpler way to load film onto a developing reel compared to doing it inside a bag. I haven't noticed any downsides to this method. Has anyone else given it a try?
First off - wassup with that music? Fwaaaah Fwuuuuuhhhh....
You could do it like that but honestly it is so easy to do it in the bag that I don't bother. IF I have accidentally wound the film all the way into the cannister, then of course I will retrieve it before the bag. Some cameras auto wind it all the way in (Nikon F80 etc). And sure trim it before you bag it.
But... with that type of reel that I also use - if the camera feeds the film against the grain so to speak - where the film is fed clockwise onto the take up spool, you may have issues with the film binding on those type of reels. A Leica M, Nikon F3 etc does that. With those I take the film all the way out of the canister in the bag, snip the end, and feed it from the tail end.
The only cameras that do not bend the film against how it was wound in the canister are auto loaders like P&S cameras, Nikon F4/5/6/60/65/100 etc with the equivalent AF slrs from the others. And the Leica R8/9. They feed the film anti-clockwise.
The best thing to do is get the cheapest roll of film you can find, and practice with it in daylight. And this is why we need a film section.
FYI, you don't even need a film retriever. Just another roll of film. Lick the end (I'm serious) and feed it into the canister. Wind that canister slowly until it grabs the moist film. When it does that, pull it out.